User Tag List

Thread: Light Phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Light Phone

I still have my iPhone SE. If Apple doesn't roll out a new small phone, I might resort to something like this:

The Light Phone
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Light Phone

I'm with you on this one.

I only gave up my 4+ because Google Voice no longer worked.
    I am keeping my SE until it dies (or Google Voice stops working on it).

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I still have my iPhone SE. If Apple doesn't roll out a new small phone, I might resort to something like this:

The Light Phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only screen on which I view Vsalon is my iPhone SE...
    I dread having a larger phone when this one is done

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.....and people laugh at me when I use my flip phone. I've never owned a smart phone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it ironic that social media is shunned on the website... “no feeds designed to keep you scrolling...” yet their marketing appears to be heavily based in social media.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I speculate that Light Phone expects their device to be the primary communication tool, and fully expect their users will have a secondary / supplemental screen - e.g., a tablet, or maybe another phone.

I also noted the new Palm - also small, positioned as an alternative to a giant smartphone - well suited to cyclists, hikers, etc.

I’m intrigued, but also ambivalent. Personally, I don’t find it difficult to limit my usage at various points during the day, and I don’t NEED another device.

To Light Phone users and intenders I say: Enjoy your hipster, niche, iconoclastic statement piece. I hope the device is still usable and secure after the startup that makes it implodes.

Managing FW and SW for multiple carriers is not trivial, and your carrier can block a device like this at will - or accidentally - leaving you without service or recourse.

The great thing about so-called smartphones is that the user can generally decide what apps to install and use. Don’t want a bunch of social apps and feeds? Don’t install them. Don’t want to be tempted to use them during certain hours of the day? Set restrictions - although this shouldn’t be necessary for an adult that’s the master of their domain, so to speak.

I’m not usually anti-startup, but the Light Phone seems like another thin sliced use case, selling simplicity and cost reduction at a premium.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are lots of smartphone with a similar form factor as the old iphone 4/se in the market already, and dumbphones haven't disappeared either. Not sure I understand the point of this one.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:41 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    There are lots of smartphone with a similar form factor as the old iphone 4/se in the market already, and dumbphones haven't disappeared either. Not sure I understand the point of this one.
    Form factor is what I am after, but I actually like most of what Apple does with their IOS. I just spent the weekend trying to help my father with his latest Samsung Android phone, and it was miserable. I would strongly suggest if you have an iPhone, don't update it to IOS 13 though. Seems like it was scheduled to come out with the new phones rather than when it was ready, and new phones and updated phones are having a host of problems. 13.1 is coming out in a couple days (maybe today) and it is supposed to be better, but wait and see.

Anyway, so I am just going to wait to see if Apple re-introduces a smaller iPhone ala the iPad Mini. Makes sense to me, but then Apple is doing silly things these days - like making updating apps 4 steps instead of 2. I don't have any problem with usage amounts. I just like having it in my pocket. I would sacrifice having Maps and weather just to have something smaller than a cookbook.

Basically I am annoyed that the rest of the world doesn't share my needs and tastes.

Last edited by j44ke; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:29 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do (because bigger phones/tablets/TVs/Homes/SUVs/etc. are not always better).

Basically I am annoyed that the rest of the world doesn't share my needs and tastes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter and I went a while back to buy a replacement for her iPhone 4 and the salesperson was pushing a larger unit...8+ or something. She became a bit irritated with the process and said to me on the side..."Dad, I'm a girl and I mostly wear girl pants and I don't carry a purse...you know? Slim fitting, holes in the legs and that "pocket laptop" that he's trying to sell me just isn't going to cut it." I say bring back the Razor and I have a few in reserve for you Jorn.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it has a lot to do with habits and resistance to change. Most people used to ios based devices hate android based ones and vice-versa.

The thing is: this particular "light phone" won't solve your issues and as you said you would like a newer / smaller iphone.

The 5th gen of the apple watch increased in size. In a few generations all you will have to do is removing the armband !
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brand new XS here with IOS 13. No issues I can see. I wish the guy who stole my X would have had the courtesy to wait until the 11 was available. But I had to replace it ASAP because I depend upon my phone in my work.

I too wish Apple would release a slightly smaller iPhone. There’s definitely a demand.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where do I get a flip phone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I think it has a lot to do with habits and resistance to change. Most people used to ios based devices hate android based ones and vice-versa.

The thing is: this particular "light phone" won't solve your issues and as you said you would like a newer / smaller iphone.

The 5th gen of the apple watch increased in size. In a few generations all you will have to do is removing the armband !
    I think it is more like getting a saddle that works for you and then the company improves that model by making it completely different. It is still a saddle and you can sit on it, but all the things that you used everyday and liked about the previous model are gone. So now you have an uncomfortable saddle that doesn't fit right and the amount of miles you have to put in to adjust to it will get you within a few weeks of the company changing everything again. Not that you have to upgrade, but these saddles are now only built to perform well for 2-3 years. After that, they sag, peel and creak.

I would like not to be bludgeoned with change by the businesses I patronize.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is more like getting a saddle that works for you and then the company improves that model by making it completely different. It is still a saddle and you can sit on it, but all the things that you used everyday and liked about the previous model are gone. So now you have an uncomfortable saddle that doesn't fit right and the amount of miles you have to put in to adjust to it will get you within a few weeks of the company changing everything again. Not that you have to upgrade, but these saddles are now only built to perform well for 2-3 years. After that, they sag, peel and creak.

I would like not to be bludgeoned with change by the businesses I patronize.
    So...Selle Italia?
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    So...Selle Italia?
    And howdy!
    Jorn Ake