User Tag List

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 582

Thread: irrational fear of flying

  1. #261
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    737
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi

    Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    This is nuts.

    Everyone knows that increased corporate profits today are way more important than the legacy of global environmental spoliation we're leaving for future generations...
    A sidenote: we were in Washington DC Saturday for the Cherry Blossom Festival and parade. Walking to the parade route from the Metro station the street passed along the length of the side of the EPA building. The entire side was strewn with everyday litter, trash and debris, astonishingly so. The irony of that sight was not lost on many of those walking along there. Lots of comments were heard, none kind.
     

  2. #262
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,166
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
    A sidenote: we were in Washington DC Saturday for the Cherry Blossom Festival and parade. Walking to the parade route from the Metro station the street passed along the length of the side of the EPA building. The entire side was strewn with everyday litter, trash and debris, astonishingly so. The irony of that sight was not lost on many of those walking along there. Lots of comments were heard, none kind.
    Litter is DC's territory. It would only involve the EPA if that litter contained toxic substances that were present in large enough quantities to affect the air or water supply.
     

  3. #263
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Cape Ann, MA
    Posts
    2,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi

    Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Litter is DC's territory. It would only involve the EPA if that litter contained toxic substances that were present in large enough quantities to affect the air or water supply.
    I am sure the production facilities that made the litter do produce the requisite toxic substances, in addition to producing litter.

  4. #264
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Mass
    Posts
    11,207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi

    Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Litter is DC's territory. It would only involve the EPA if that litter contained toxic substances that were present in large enough quantities to affect the air or water supply.
    You're probably correct to assume that the litter is not hazmat. But when the EPA is spending $43,000 on a soundproof booth for Pruitt's office, and $5800 for biometric locks, to fit that into the operations budget you have to lay off a groundskeeper.

    But more on topic, how long has the FAA been operating headless? Is that why CFM's maintenance bulletin (voluntary) for the engine that failed did not become an airworthiness directive (mandatory)?
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

  5. #265
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,949
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi

    seems like a good place to post this:

    had the pleasure of a window seat viewing of United getting my S&S travel bike case airborne onto the conveyor belt last week. good thing i keep a cam buckle strap on the case at all times.


  6. #266
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    seems like a good place to post this:

    had the pleasure of a window seat viewing of United getting my S&S travel bike case airborne onto the conveyor belt last week. good thing i keep a cam buckle strap on the case at all times.
    How loud was the THUD when he tossed the case onto the belt?

  7. #267
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    5,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi



    Delta stepping up their game...all that was missing was the smiley face. I also made sure to change my drink preference from H20 to Clamato.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

  8. #268
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    5,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi



    Roll Columbia sang Woody Guthrie...the Grand Coulee Dam from above and an old documentary about the dam.

    The Columbia : FDR Presidential Library : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

  9. #269
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    737
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi

    I’ve spent lots if time in that area!
     

  10. #270
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    5,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi





    Hustling back to PIT from SEA through MSP today in order to make it from our second graduation to the third and last one of the season. The flight crew did a great job escaping this saturated mess and getting us home...it was awfully dark out there when we took off from MSP.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

  11. #271
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    no shore, mass
    Posts
    14,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi

    I just read a book .. The Perfectionists, by Simon Winchester.
    excellent read about the evolution of manufacturing from crude to less crude to incredibly microscopically exact.

    He cites an example in there that may make you fell less well about flying...
    while talking about jet engines.

    He cites an Airbus 380 with Rolls Royce engines that, some years ago, had an engine explode ( similar to the 737 that recently had an engine explode causing the death of a passenger ).
    The plane had 475 passengers and dozens of crew aboard.. the exploding engine cause much damage to hydraulic systems as well as fire in the engine. Somewhat remarkably the plane was landed safely.

    After years of inquiry the cause was found to be a tiny hole drilled in a turbine blade that was minutely at the wrong angle and failed to properly lubricate the engine... causing it to fail where is should have worked. They had to recall these engines .. but, in his analysis, there was indication that the required design required execution that was at the edge of practicality.. very difficult to achieve exactly. Close enough was not good enough.

    I cannot remember this incident.. It was years ago... but I do remember seeing one of those planes in Frankfurt… It is a massive plane... far larger than a 747 that was parked next to it..

    Believe me... I know air travel is by far the safest way to travel... thinking about it too much is probably not helpful!
     

  12. #272
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Cape Ann, MA
    Posts
    2,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    I just read a book .. The Perfectionists, by Simon Winchester.
    excellent read about the evolution of manufacturing from crude to less crude to incredibly microscopically exact.

    He cites an example in there that may make you fell less well about flying...
    while talking about jet engines.

    He cites an Airbus 380 with Rolls Royce engines that, some years ago, had an engine explode ( similar to the 737 that recently had an engine explode causing the death of a passenger ).
    The plane had 475 passengers and dozens of crew aboard.. the exploding engine cause much damage to hydraulic systems as well as fire in the engine. Somewhat remarkably the plane was landed safely.

    After years of inquiry the cause was found to be a tiny hole drilled in a turbine blade that was minutely at the wrong angle and failed to properly lubricate the engine... causing it to fail where is should have worked. They had to recall these engines .. but, in his analysis, there was indication that the required design required execution that was at the edge of practicality.. very difficult to achieve exactly. Close enough was not good enough.

    I cannot remember this incident.. It was years ago... but I do remember seeing one of those planes in Frankfurt… It is a massive plane... far larger than a 747 that was parked next to it..

    Believe me... I know air travel is by far the safest way to travel... thinking about it too much is probably not helpful!
    Sounds like a great read, I'll get it, thanks!

  13. #273
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    5,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi



    Approaching the Windy City from the East on an early June morning.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

  14. #274
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    5,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi





    From one extreme to another...all in 3:32 minutes.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

  15. #275
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lakeland,Fl
    Posts
    935
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flyi

    RW,
    You change planes and locations like I change socks. Not sure that is a good thing or not but great pics as usual.

    Mike
    Mike Noble

  16. #276
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    737
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
    Im an unabashed airplane geek ever since I can remember. Ive flown on everything I possibly could, from a hot-air balloon to the Concorde. In between, a P-51, a B-17 & B-25, float planes and helicopters. Damn near cried when I got bumped from a ride in a TF-106 and a Goodyear blimp. Spent 8 years in the USAF as an aircraft mechanic working and flying with my airplanes.

    The pic (of a photo) is of me, wearing my BELL newsie hat, taken at the Monterey airport waiting for the fuel truck after having hauled a load motorcycle enthusiasts to watch the 1973 races. The plane is my Piper Seneca which was pretty nifty and when not carrying passengers would take my wife and I, our luggage and two Honda CT-70 mini bikes most anywhere. Good times!
    Adding on to this, the Collings Foundation The Collings Foundation - Preserving Living Aviation History brought their Wings Of Freedom Tour through Spokane this week. A veritable flying circus, they fly their TF-51D, B-25, B-17 and B-24 to airports all around the country. After many years, theyre finally offering flights in their B-24J, the only one in the world still flying. The B-24 has been on my bucket list for a long time, so I had to check that off. I posted a good cockpit video on my Facebook page Facebook (I know,I know but I cant post videos here)
    Attached Images Attached Images
     

  17. #277
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    What was it like to fly in the B-24? A few years ago there was a huge old war plane flying around and it seemed to move so slow. I assume it was taking people on flights.
     

  18. #278
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    737
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by chris7ed View Post
    What was it like to fly in the B-24? A few years ago there was a huge old war plane flying around and it seemed to move so slow. I assume it was taking people on flights.
    WWII bombers were slow with a top speed of only 290mph. Nowadays they fly them around at 180-200mph, tops, to save on wear and tear and keep the 75 year old planes from undue stress.

    Flying on the B-24 was exciting of course. It was noisy, like flying in a 55-gallon drum with 4 engines attached and about as comfortable. It was a bomb bay with wings with little room for niceties. In the hour we were up I went all over the ship, from the tail gunners position to the bombardiers in the nose. I spent a majority of my time watching the pilot and co-pilot fly the plane, absolutely fascinating. Talking to them they told me the B-24 is not a stable plane in its pitch and yaw axis, it takes constant attention and control inputs to fly it smoothly. They were in awe of the wartime pilots that flew them in tight formations for hours.

    I could not help but think of the kids that flew in these planes during the war everyday, not knowing if theyd return to base safely, or alive. Many months of that, I cant comprehend what it took to be that mentally strong.
     

  19. #279
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    no shore, mass
    Posts
    14,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
    WWII bombers were slow with a top speed of only 290mph. Nowadays they fly them around at 180-200mph, tops, to save on wear and tear and keep the 75 year old planes from undue stress.

    Flying on the B-24 was exciting of course. It was noisy, like flying in a 55-gallon drum with 4 engines attached and about as comfortable. It was a bomb bay with wings with little room for niceties. In the hour we were up I went all over the ship, from the tail gunners position to the bombardiers in the nose. I spent a majority of my time watching the pilot and co-pilot fly the plane, absolutely fascinating. Talking to them they told me the B-24 is not a stable plane in it’s pitch and yaw axis, it takes constant attention and control inputs to fly it smoothly. They were in awe of the wartime pilots that flew them in tight formations for hours.

    I could not help but think of the ‘kids’ that flew in these planes during the war everyday, not knowing if they’d return to base safely, or alive. Many months of that, I can’t comprehend what it took to be that mentally strong.
    It is remarkable ... and well stated.. they were kids flying these planes. Heroic in every way.
    a flying tin can.
     

  20. #280
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    5,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: irrational fear of flying

    You two would enjoy the book Flyboys...it's all about the kids that flew those planes and what they experienced in doing so.

    BOOKS OF THE TIMES; The Devil's in the Details of a Hellish Account of War - The New York Times
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 210
    Last Post: 10-05-2018, 08:42 PM
  2. Replies: 144
    Last Post: 02-07-2015, 03:55 PM
  3. I fear Ma Nature
    By TJ in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 08:27 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •