User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    15,647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Thing is, he picked a very (by NYC MTA standards) clean station. Try the Q station at Canal St. Incredible smell in that one, along with all sorts of seepage, rats and other mysterious formations.

    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas - downtown
    Posts
    1,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Thing is, he picked a very (by NYC MTA standards) clean station. Try the Q station at Canal St. Incredible smell in that one, along with all sorts of seepage, rats and other mysterious formations.
    Can any of you boston guys tell me if Park Street station still has that intense aroma of urine and that loud, high pitched screeeeeech when the train arrives?
    Glenn Thompson
    "More Frame, less Seatpost"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    Can any of you boston guys tell me if Park Street station still has that intense aroma of urine and that loud, high pitched screeeeeech when the train arrives?
    Yes and Yes but the aroma is mild at this time of the year (read frozen)
     

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Seoul has the sense to have hundreds of public restrooms. Does NOT smell like pee.
     

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    15,647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    Seoul has the sense to have hundreds of public restrooms. Does NOT smell like pee.
    Central Park fixed up a pair of bathrooms near Bethesda Fountain. A couple weeks after they re-opened, the men's room was closed. Someone took a dump on the floor and smeared it all over the walls. There are a lot of things NYC needs to fix in order to even think about public bathrooms.

    Or as a friend said when told NYC needs public bathrooms, "What, you don't like sidewalks? That's pretty public if you ask me."
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    I guess Seoul had the sense to be full of Koreans, too.
     

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    15,647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    I guess Seoul had the sense to be full of Koreans, too.
    There are plenty of Koreans here, but NYC also has a porous mental health care infrastructure and it does no one any great service, not least of which in the inability to provide and maintain good public restrooms.

    Not excusing almost total mismanagement by the state government and the MTA, but NYC does have the only 24 hour subway system in the world. And it is one of the largest. Most subway systems shut down for at least 6 hours every day, and that creates an opportunity for maintenance and cleaning that doesn't exist for NYC. But still....
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    15,647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    We do, however, need more urine remover.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coquitlam, British Columbia
    Posts
    9,794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    San Francisco poop map:

    (Human) Wasteland

    -g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY & MN
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Central Park fixed up a pair of bathrooms near Bethesda Fountain. A couple weeks after they re-opened, the men's room was closed. Someone took a dump on the floor and smeared it all over the walls. There are a lot of things NYC needs to fix in order to even think about public bathrooms.

    Or as a friend said when told NYC needs public bathrooms, "What, you don't like sidewalks? That's pretty public if you ask me."
    Paris has these awesome public restrooms that hose themselves down after every visitor.

    This might honestly be something that robots could fix.
     

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    1,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    Yes and Yes but the aroma is mild at this time of the year (read frozen)
    When I first moved to Boston and took the T, there was a guy who stared at the tracks while waiting for the train, every morning. After a few weeks of watching him, I asked what was doing. He told me if you stared at the grey gravel rocks between the rails, you could see the rats...

    So I did, and he was right. Rats or big mice, they were the same color as the gravel, perfect camouflage. If you looked long enough, you could see them move. I bet its the same in every big city.
     

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    San Francisco poop map:

    (Human) Wasteland

    -g
    Used to work on Bryant & 4th, my fav game walking from/to the BART was human or canine. Most of the time it was human.
     

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    15,647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Paris has these awesome public restrooms that hose themselves down after every visitor.

    This might honestly be something that robots could fix.
    Yep. Nope.

    Self-Cleaning Public Toilets Yield to Older Technology in Manhattan - The New York Times
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY & MN
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    “It wasn’t a bad experience,” Mr. Biederman said. “It just wasn’t a great experience, and we wanted it to be great.”
    I was just hoping for not experiencing human feces in the street.

    I didn't realize that NYC had tried the automated toilets. I guess that like Seoul, Paris has the advantage of being filled with Parisians.
     

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    15,647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    This trial run was done by a public-private partnership I believe and wasn't profitable, but there was no destruction of the units. People were just afraid of getting stuck in one. Or robbed. They wanted attendants. Made them feel safer.

    Paris has plenty of public urination. I have with my own eyes seen men peeing on the Eglise Sainte Medard when there is a nearby public restroom. Come to the park, eat your lunch, pee on the church, go back to work.

    But for NYC, until the city devotes the financial resources to subsidizing public restrooms and removes the requirement for them to break-even in order to qualify as valuable enough (there are a lot of things that are valuable as part of the fabric holding together communities that are not best measured by double-entry bookkeeping) to continue providing and maintaining, there won't be public restrooms.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-10-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    1,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Restrooms should be "sacred ground" - like a church in "Highlander".

    No crime, no funny stuff, just a place for humans to do what's needed, and feel safe about it. Hmmm, maybe if anything illegal happens within 100 feet of a public restroom, penalties are multiplied by 1000x.

    Where's my congressman, I need to draft a letter.
     

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,047
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    This trial run was done by a public-private partnership I believe and wasn't profitable, but there was no destruction of the units. People were just afraid of getting stuck in one. Or robbed. They wanted attendants. Made them feel safer.

    Paris has plenty of public urination. I have with my own eyes seen men peeing on the Eglise Sainte Medard when there is a nearby public restroom. Come to the park, eat your lunch, pee on the church, go back to work.

    But for NYC, until the city devotes the financial resources to subsidizing public restrooms and removes the requirement for them to break-even in order to qualify as valuable enough (there are a lot of things that are valuable as part of the fabric holding together communities that are not best measured by double-entry bookkeeping) to continue providing and maintaining, there won't be public restrooms.
    Central park needs more public restrooms. You get this world view when you go to the park with a 3 year old and the nearest toilet is a half-mile away. That and if you have the misfortune of needing to poop before a CRCA race.
     

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    15,647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Central park needs more public restrooms. You get this world view when you go to the park with a 3 year old and the nearest toilet is a half-mile away. That and if you have the misfortune of needing to poop before a CRCA race.
    Yeah I bet!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY & MN
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    Oh man, the bathrooms are exactly what you thought they were: Subway Bathrooms: Are They as Bad as You Think? - The New York Times
     

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    15,647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: (Informal) NYC Subway Cleaning Experiment

    I like the antique wet paint signs. Classic.

    These actually look pretty good. I wouldn't spend any extra time there, but I think the purpose of these restrooms is to make you not want to use them, which is probably better/easier than trying to clean them.

    You should see the elevators. Whatever you do, do not get in a subway elevator unless you absolutely need to.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Garmindale Experiment. Thoughts so far?
    By Andrevich4 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-15-2015, 10:06 AM
  2. 2nd Avenue Subway Tunnel Flickr Blog
    By joosttx in forum The OT
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2013, 09:25 PM
  3. Old flux experiment
    By shand in forum The Path
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 06:45 PM
  4. ride planning experiment- Boston
    By boundgear in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 12:30 AM
  5. NY's Bloomberg: No Bikes on Subway
    By admin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 10:41 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •