Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm from the Pacific Northwest

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I'm from the Pacific Northwest

im in Southern Oregon, or the state of Jefferson to some. it requires being separated from PNW. i dont know why ( i mean i have pretty good ideas, but you just wanted the names)
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I insulted one of my students the other day by stating she was from South Dakota. She's from North Dakota. I joked that it was a distinction without a difference to us New Englanders, and then I thought about how I would feel if someone in Wyoming mistakenly stated I was from Rhode Island as opposed to Massachusetts (or New Hampshire, where I have been for the last 15 years).

I am generally a peaceful man but this would have required murdering.

I am now more empathic regarding the ND-SD distinction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    im in Southern Oregon, or the state of Jefferson to some. it requires being separated from PNW. i dont know why ( i mean i have pretty good ideas, but you just wanted the names)
    Stephen Colbert once said Oregon is ‘California’s Canada and Washington’s Mexico’
    As a ‘Jefferson’ native of California with a Canadian father I like both. The most vocal State of Jefferson supporters tend to be narrow-minded in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm from the Hudson Valley. I tell people I'm from Upstate NY or Downstate NY, depending on who I'm talking to. Real upstaters call the area downstate, while for City folks and everyone out west who doesn't know the difference, upstate suffices.

Interestingly, a similar problem exists in California, where the line between SoCal and NorCal varies by hundreds of miles depending on who you ask. I knew a guy from San Diego who considered San Luis Obispo to be in NorCal, whereas someone from Redding wouldn't consider the Bay Area part of the real NorCal.

I moved to the west coast over 20 years ago now, but still call myself a New Yorker when it suits me... like when discussing pizza, bagels, or weather. But I intend to spend the rest of my days on the west coast, preferably Bay area or the Sierra foothills, but southern Oregon is awfully nice too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Born on an AFB in Japan. Moved to a small town in West Texas before I was 2. Dad from Chicago from Wisconsin transplants. Mom from hillbilly NW Arkansas, but her dad was born on the King Ranch here in TX. I used to like being a "Texan", but less so over the years.
    Kyle Olson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw STATE OF JEFFERSON painted on a barn roof as I drove back up from Oakland and wondered what the flag looks like. There’s always a flag ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kpomtb View Post
    Born on an AFB in Japan. Moved to a small town in West Texas before I was 2. Dad from Chicago from Wisconsin transplants. Mom from hillbilly NW Arkansas, but her dad was born on the King Ranch here in TX. I used to like being a "Texan", but less so over the years.
    I'm a descendant of a person in Austin's Colony. My family has been in Texas since it was Mexico. I'm currently writing a paper for my MA studies concerning the Austin's Colony and the history that followed. It's several pages of myth-smashing so far. I'm still ok being a Texan, I was born in Wichita Falls. My dad's is descended from one of eight brothers that arrived in Galveston from Scotland in the mid 1800's. The brothers scattered and lost contact with each other, but if someone has my last name and is a descendent of multiple generations of Texans, we're related.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Saw STATE OF JEFFERSON painted on a barn roof as I drove back up from Oakland and wondered what the flag looks like. There’s always a flag ...
    its dumb, its like some stupid snake with coils at says "don't tread on me" because we live in a libertarian fantasy land here some guy on 5 acres thinks he "lives in the country" so behaves lawlessly, shoots off guns at any waking hour, or whatever people think freedom is when they move to the country and think theres no law enforcement.

see, dumb
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whatever people think freedom is when they move to the country and think theres no law enforcement.
    This made me laugh. I was a suburbs kid (grew up on 6 acres) with country relatives and what you say is true to my experience. People get out where there's no HOA monitoring their blue tarps and think they're lords of the realm.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its dumb, its like some stupid snake with coils at says "don't tread on me" because we live in a libertarian fantasy land here some guy on 5 acres thinks he "lives in the country" so behaves lawlessly, shoots off guns at any waking hour, or whatever people think freedom is when they move to the country and think theres no law enforcement.

see, dumb
    Do you happen to know where these people think they will make up the lost tax revenue from SF/LA/PDX? Water? Cannabis? I always wondered this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Do you happen to know where these people think they will make up the lost tax revenue from SF/LA/PDX? Water? Cannabis? I always wondered this.
    you flatter them by assuming they think at all. the only thing i know they think is the government doesn't know what the hell its doing (never mind timber subsidies, the welfare many claim, and the vast tracts of government and public lands.) I live in a place that used to get to cut down all of the trees all of the time. Now they only get to cut down some of them all of the time and it makes them grumpy. i cant imagine to know how this type of person thinks about things. i assume they buy food at stores governed by the FDA. i assume they use public roads and schools? i know they use the hospital. so id say they probably mostly dont think of much but themselves.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I'm driving on a highway through rural parts, I like to guess which left lane squatters are a) feeling entitled to live in the fast lane because they pay their taxes, or b) defiantly refusing to keep right because they don't like paying taxes.

This is excluding those who have their left turn signals on, and clearly don't comprehend where they are.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When I'm driving on a highway through rural parts, I like to guess which left lane squatters are a) feeling entitled to live in the fast lane because they pay their taxes, or b) defiantly refusing to keep right because they don't like paying taxes.

This is excluding those who have their left turn signals on, and clearly don't comprehend where they are.
    So you've driven Hwy 16 between Tacoma and Bremerton. That section of highway was the worst I'd seen.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going back a few pages for this but couldn't resist...

Does anyone say, “I’m from the Pacific Southwest?”
    Canadians who live in the Lower Mainland?

I always thought of myself as a central Canadian growing up in eastern Ontario, because you know... Quebec and the maritimes. But when I moved 'west' to the western edge of the prairies, people told me I was from the East. It's all relative.

Now that I've moved again, I tell people (well, American people) I live in the inland pacific northwest. Because when you just tell someone that you live in the Pacific Northwest, they figure you're on the ocean, not an 8 hour drive away from it.

On the Trans-Canada between Calgary and Banff, it's easy to tell which is which because a) are in pristinely immaculate pickup trucks and b) are in a ratty, lifted full-size pickup (not those namby-pamby half-ton ones). Also b) drives at least 20mph faster than a). The ones with a turn signal on invariably have Manitoba license plates and are in a minivan packed to the gills with luggage and blankets and pillows obscuring the rear window.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point about the relative condition of the pickup trucks.

Re inland PNW--is it a consistent climate (a "Pacific" climate) that far inland? I need to visit Canada more often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, climate is weird in the mountains - micro climates abound. Where we are, it's about 2/3rds of the winter precipitation, and 5 deg C colder in winter and warmer in summer than seattle/vancouver. But 2-3 hours easwest in the Okanagan it's substantially drier. 3 hours south in Spokane, the winter's actually colder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you flatter them by assuming they think at all. the only thing i know they think is the government doesn't know what the hell its doing (never mind timber subsidies, the welfare many claim, and the vast tracts of government and public lands.) I live in a place that used to get to cut down all of the trees all of the time. Now they only get to cut down some of them all of the time and it makes them grumpy. i cant imagine to know how this type of person thinks about things. i assume they buy food at stores governed by the FDA. i assume they use public roads and schools? i know they use the hospital. so id say they probably mostly dont think of much but themselves.
    Wow....such bitterness.

The State of Jefferson movement started in 1941 because many residents of Southern OR/Northern CA felt that they weren't being properly represented in their state Govt's. I can't speak for the OR side, but I do live in one of the CA Jefferson counties and from what I can see that is still the case to this day. The fact that these counties are sparsely populated and politically the opposite (for the most part) from the rest of CA means that their voice isn't heard or basically ignored.

As for the flag you posted, I'm not sure where that came from but this is the 'official' flag.
    jefferson.jpg
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up in Southern IL. I always make that distinction, since if I just say "Illinois" then people assume Chicago and I don't want to be associated with there. IL is definitely the midwest, with all the good and bad that comes with it. After a stint in the USMC, when I returned back it never felt like 'home' any more so I headed west.

I spent some time in the Black Hills of South Dakota and then in Wyoming. I felt like I belonged in both places, much more so than in IL. I live in NorCal at the moment (due to work) but if people ask me where I'm from I say "I live in CA but I'm from WY".
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m from Nashville-no one else is apparently.. a real unicorn in the new ‘it’ spot.. I live 80 miles east of there now-

Tennessean tried and true baby-

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123