Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Service Moving Companies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Full Service Moving Companies

I'm currently prepping to move a house 1200 miles, and looking for the best way to get the job done.

I'm not going to drive a UHaul, so the options appear to be a Pod or a full service moving company.

The Pod seems convenient in that they'll drop it off and I can pack/unpack at my leisure. I would have to schlep the boxes, although I don't think that's a huge deal.

The full service mover comes out to provide an estimate on Wednesday. They offer two levels of service, one where they box and unbox everything, and one where they just pick up the pre-packed boxes and unload them at the destination. The potential disadvantage here seems to be that I'd have to be totally ready to go on their timeline.

For those who have used one or both of these options, do you have any opinions or advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Full Service Moving Companies

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'm currently prepping to move a house 1200 miles, and looking for the best way to get the job done.

I'm not going to drive a UHaul, so the options appear to be a Pod or a full service moving company.

The Pod seems convenient in that they'll drop it off and I can pack/unpack at my leisure. I would have to schlep the boxes, although I don't think that's a huge deal.

The full service mover comes out to provide an estimate on Wednesday. They offer two levels of service, one where they box and unbox everything, and one where they just pick up the pre-packed boxes and unload them at the destination. The potential disadvantage here seems to be that I'd have to be totally ready to go on their timeline.

For those who have used one or both of these options, do you have any opinions or advice?
    I have moved twice cross country using a full service moving company that boxes and unboxes everything. As one friend put it, “you can leave your dirty underwear in the middle of your living room and they will pick it up and drop it on the floor of your new living room.” The service is fantastic and took the stress off a very stress moment of ones life.

The second move I had to be out of town on business during the packing so my wife handled it with our 1 year old son in tow. They started in the morning and when I returned that night the house of empty. Really great stuff. My wife told me it was super easy.

My company paided for it so I dont know how it cost and I know the movers were doing there best as corporate accounts are very nice to have. One thing to check out is if you are paying for it you maybe able to deduct some of the expense from your taxes.
    Last edited by joosttx; 04-15-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    My company paided for it so I dont know how it cost and I know the movers were doing there best as corporate accounts are very nice to have. One thing to check out is if you are paying for it you maybe able to deduct some of the expense from your taxes.
    Good info. My employer has provided a budget of about twice what a Pod would cost, but it's not a blank check. They don't seem to have a standing account, so I'm free to work with whoever I wish.

Sounds like the full service option is great if it's in the budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my wife Grace's explanation if our two moves and the research she did. FYI when she researches stuff she's very thorough. :) Her comments are below:

We moved cross-country twice. We didn't want to do the moving either, so we used professional movers both times.

We didn't opt to use the Pod because we would've had to pack it up and load it ourselves ... and we also wanted everything to make it to the destination undamaged. If you decide to use the Pod, hire someone who knows how to load and secure your belongings in it.

If you go with professional movers, get three or four or five estimates from the reputatable moving companies (Mayflower, North American, United Van Lines, etc.) and choose the best fit for you. Start with the one you least want to use and use it to gain knowledge so you can ask the right questions for the next several estimates of companies that you're more likely to use.

Ask a lot of questions!! The moving business is known to be shady. It's good to be knowledgable about the process and have your questions answered before they load your stuff on their truck. Also, if you're in an area where the truck can't access your place or is questionable and you need a shuttle, ask about that extra shuttle. Some companies charge for long-distance carry or stairs.

Make sure you're satisfied with the contract before signing it. Check out the movers who are contracted with the major moving company. For example, if you use Mayflower, find out the local moving company they're contracting with and check out that company. Look at complaints and how they were resolved. All companies have complaints, but the good ones will always resolve the issues. Stay away from the ones with endless complaints.

I strongly advise you to get the insurance. The estimators say the contents are insured, but it's by weight. So if you have a $300 plate that was broken during the move, you would get back .60 a pound (or something like that). The insurance is definitely worth it.

We saved money by packing ourselves. We collected free moving boxes and packing paper from Craigslist and watched some YouTube videos on how to pack properly. Everything was packed the way we wanted. Remember, it's the weight that matters, not the volume. Be extra generous with packing materials. If there's something you want to make sure is packed well and you're not sure how to do it, they can pack that stuff. Still saves you money. Also, they will have tons of blankets for furniture, etc. Mattress bags are a must. Make sure you have those.

If your company is paying for the move, of course, get both estimates, and if the budget covers them packing for you, great! If they pack it and something breaks, they are responsible for replacement.

You want to make sure you agree to a "binding not-to-exceed" estimate. That means the estimator looks at your belongings and gives you the estimate for the move. You agree to it. If it actually weighs more, they are bound by the estimate. If it weighs less, the price lowers to the actual weight of your belongings.

I'm happy to say that all of our belongings made it through both moves undamaged. Our movers were great!

Moving.com has a lot of great tips and info.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jumphigher View Post
    Make sure you're satisfied with the contract before signing it. Check out the movers who are contracted with the major moving company. For example, if you use Mayflower, find out the local moving company they're contracting with and check out that company. Look at complaints and how they were resolved. All companies have complaints, but the good ones will always resolve the issues. Stay away from the ones with endless complaints.
    Even with this advice I got ripped off twice. And the "name" national companies' response was "file a complaint with the ICC and the state" "we have nothing to do with it, the local company is responsible you have to talk to them" and I had checked out the local guys and they had a "good" reputation. And good press. United and Mayflower did squat to get me the money back. I had to go to the credit card company and then one only backed down when I got the local newspaper involved.

Do NOT accept any extra packing help or anything else that is not specifically laid out in the estimate. And the "binding not-to-exceed" is great but only when you don't have them do even one little thing more because, in my case, they then ignored the entire thing (fine print) after helping my wife carry an end table into our pickup truck so we could donate it at the Good Sam place. It was hours out of my life to get them to honor the deal properly. Sorry for the babble but years later it still riles me up.
    Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I moved across the country a few times now. I had a company do the packing one time, it was actually a bit over the top. The wrapped everything in paper and bubble wrap, even books. I think the incentive is there for the packers to use as many boxes as possible as you pay by the box/pound. Also you miss the decision point of "do I feel like moving this thing, or throwing it out?"

The second move I packed everything up. It was a weekend of work and a lot of garbage was chucked. I would do this again. You can get boxes from Home Depot and wardrobe boxes are life savers.

I used a local company on my last two moves, including from PA to CO (American Moving and Storage). I liked them so much, I had them move me from my old house to this one in December.

And you probably know this, but most moving expenses are taxed like a bonus at 25%. So it doesn't hurt to save a buck or two. Although some companies gross it up to cover that lost 25%.

Cheers,
    -Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a topic that also gets me riled up as well. When you get estimates, make sure you're very specific about anything you want packed with extra care, like bikes. All bikes look like Huffys to them and will be treated as such. In my case, I had a carbon frame and a number of other items damaged. You also need to be diligent about checking things in. If you don't notice damage to anything while the crew is unloading the truck, it's very hard, nearly impossible to get them to cover anything that you might discover later on. That said, if you get a great crew, it takes all the usual hassle of moving out of the equation.
    Chris

Road, CX, Mountain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experince was totally different than others here. I remember them building a custom box crate to transport my Vanilla. If there ws anything broken which I recall was like a couple of wine glasses we were reembursed for more than they were worth. As I said we went through my company and the movers were aiming to please.
    Last edited by joosttx; 04-15-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you can see by the still bitter feelings of some of the posters here OP, the moving business can be plenty shady. For us Grace did all the work really, and like I said she is VERY through. We really liked both companies we used. But of course there are no guarantees, and we were lucky as well.

One thing she didnt include in her little write-up on here was the places we didnt use. Out of the 5 or so estimates we got, right off the bat we didnt like the vibe of two of the places. With one place, the estimator showed up HOURS late, and we could tell she didnt have a clue. And her estimate ended up being half of the other companies', so of course we didnt go with them. I shudder to think what would've happened had we used that company.

In any case do your due diligence. I'd put moving companies in the same catagory as used car sales, mattress stores, and astrologers, so research accordingly. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    Also you miss the decision point of "do I feel like moving this thing, or throwing it out?"

The second move I packed everything up. It was a weekend of work and a lot of garbage was chucked. I would do this again. You can get boxes from Home Depot and wardrobe boxes are life savers.
    At 38 I have moved 9 times in my life so I can safely say I have some experience. Movers are great if you don't have friends to help you or don't want to hurt your back moving the furniture but the packing is better done by yourself really.

Each time I have done the packing I realized I owned way to many things I only rarely use and I should really downsize and sell or give away those belongings. Most people don't realize a huge part of the space they supposedly live in is in reality storage space for junk and they could live as comfortably in roughly two third of that space after getting rid of it. Additionnaly it may be a nice way to move to a more affordable new home. Living space is pretty much like computer hard drives, or car trunk when going on holidays. It doesn't matter how big they are they always end up being filled to the max and it doesn't really improve your life.

Packing/unpacking things can be done very quickly, in a day or two and is not that much of a hassle with the correct mindset. You only really need to think you are on vacation, put a week long of clothing in a luggage, keep a very small subset of dishes (use plastic cup/plates for easy transportation from the old to the new home), cook/prepare some food that you can eat cold or only warm in a simple microwave oven and use an already filed cardboard box as a table. I usually unbox everything in the same amount of time on the new home, a day or two is enough.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 04-16-2018 at 06:15 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Related to de-cluttering --- During one of our moves, we had a real estate agent pass-on a process he instilled in his household...

If someone in your house discovers something and says "gee I forgot all about that....", it gets purged from the house. In other words, if they have not missed it until that moment it wasn't that important.

Good luck with the move. Keep in mind that moving is one of those events that make the top 5 (or 10) lists for "things that cause stress". It is usually combined with one of the other items from those lists (job changes, family issues, ect). Anything you can do to lower the stress of the actual move is good.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've moved twice, once packing it ourselves and once with the full service packing. If you can afford it, the full service packing is incredibly convenient. The packing people, there were two of them, boxed a fairly large house for a family of four in about 6 hours. They indeed box everything. They packed the garbage from our home office waste basket and there was still water in our kitchen kettle when we unpacked it. We elected not to have them unpack because we wanted to do that ourselves. We went through one of the big name movers but these firms just subcontract and don't really have anything more than a sales staff and painted trucks. For our next move we would definitely use packers again and still unpack ourselves.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say moving in NYC is the worst, just because a lot of the moving companies are run by Israelis and/or Russians or other cultures in which "conflict aversion" does not exist. There is always a moment when the workers stop, the boss calls and yelling commences. No matter what happens, you cannot back down. So my wife handles that part of the business. When I hear "You have five seconds to restart your workmen, or I am calling the cops 1, 2, 3..." I know it is almost over. Then everyone gets back to work like nothing ever happened. Craziness.

In other words, don't be afraid to ... call my wife and get her to talk to your movers if you have any problems.

International was actually the smoothest. They packed up a container and probably put it in a giant vacuum tube and sucked it under the Atlantic to Prague and then when we were done, packed it all up again and sucked it all back the other way. The worst part was getting it back into the states through the port of entry in NJ. There must be a special circle in hell reserved for US Customs agents. Or perhaps there is a special circle in hell from which they hire US Customs agents. Anyway, now I know what you do is hire a customs broker, a person described to me by a US Customs agent as a "facilitator" who knows how the whole process works and can really smooth out the process. Several hundred dollars later....

Our transcontinental move was great. The same two-person team packed our house in Virginia, drove the truck across country and unloaded our stuff in Arizona. At either end they had an additional two packer/unpackers who appeared when the truck arrived to help with the work. They placed all the stuff in the new house and removed all the packing and boxes. We also moved the car in the same truck. They just drove it inside and packed around it. The packers actually put a lot of the boxes with highly breakable things into the car inside the moving truck, which worked brilliantly. I wish I could remember the company but I can't and my wife doesn't seem to have the records any longer. I do know they had a big recycling program, and they broke down, stripped tape off and reused their boxes.

Anyway, full service is my choice, be ready to scream bloody murder if you have to, and let me know if you need my wife's expert assistance.
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-16-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I'd say moving in NYC is the worst, just because a lot of the moving companies are run by Israelis and/or Russians or other cultures in which "conflict aversion" does not exist. There is always a moment when the workers stop, the boss calls and yelling commences. No matter what happens, you cannot back down. So my wife handles that part of the business. When I hear "You have five seconds to restart your workmen, or I am calling the cops 1, 2, 3..." I know it is almost over. Then everyone gets back to work like nothing ever happened. Craziness.

In other words, don't be afraid to ... call my wife and get her to talk to your movers if you have any problems.
    Sometimes I have no idea how NYC functions. Sometimes if you just overheard a recording of the language and tone, you'd think it was negotiations between rival bands of thugs in a failed state. And yet, somehow it all more or less works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are moving out of NYC, I would recommend Moishe's Movers. My family has been using them since 1985 and really never had a problem. The one time they broke something, we put in a claim and they paid for it. I like Moishe's for cross-country moves because they "own" the entire move. Your stuff is always on their trucks and/or in their warehouses.

With most other companies your stuff gets loaded/unloaded a few times by different companies: local mover (packs and brings to long haul mover warehouse) => long distance mover (loads and carries cross country to one of their warehouses) => local mover (picks up at local warehouse and delivers)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

More fodder.

I've moved a dozen times or more in my career. So a few comments:

1. There's not that much difference, in my experience, between pods and national movers if you factor in the cost of having furniture properly wrapped, speed of transit (which means hotel rooms while you wait), and so on.

2. Insurance: Definitely, absolutely. As mentioned above, get insurance that specifically covers your items for replacement cost. Most movers' policies only cover specifically named items or only cover at a minimal rate. Feel free to get insurance from someone other than the mover -- his insurance will favor him in any disputes.

3. Do your own packing of boxes. Leave the rest to the pros. A national mover will wrap each piece of furniture in blankets and then cover that in plastic wrap. This makes sure they really stay dry. Your move may require that your goods be moved from one truck to another part-way, and I've found that's usually an opportunity for pieces to be damaged or subject to rain. Get consistent sized-boxes because they stack well and the contents come through better. Don't use recycled grocery store boxes or the like. Home Depot heavy duty moving boxes are cheap and very good quality. I have some that have been through four moves and still are fine.

4. Start collecting bike boxes from your local shop. Don't take trashed or cut-up ones, but save the good ones, especially the thicker ones. They are superb for packing framed art, your flat screen TV, bulky items like garden implements, mirrors, and the like, plus, of course, bikes.

5. Put your own inventory number on each box or piece of furniture and have the mover match that number to his own when he's loading. Their descriptions on their sheets are always vague, but if you have that kind of identification, it makes it easier to figure out what might be missing. If the move has to change trucks, there's a huge opportunity for pieces of your stuff to go with whoever else is in the truck.

6. Know your driver. Check him out because that's what really determines how your load is treated. He should be with you end to end and just hire people locally to load and unload your goods. A good driver, especially a husband/wife pair who travel together, is much better than any national name on the side of the truck.

7. Pack your own stuff that goes in boxes. The furniture, leave to them. Pack bigger stuff in bike boxes. For smaller framed stuff, get a bunch of priority mail or Fedex flat document boxes and put one piece in each box, then put a bunch of the boxes in a larger packing box. The pieces are protected and always come through safely. You're charged on weight, so feel free to use volume to protect your goods as much as possible.

8. Don't bother with bubble wrap. It's expensive and doesn't work as well. Get 20-30 lbs of shipping paper from your mover and use it everywhere. It works superbly.

9. For tape I have fallen in love with the 4-inch heavy duty packing tape from U-line. It's expensive, but you can use one strip to seal a box and it's more secure than the 2-inch stuff you usually find. It needs a separate hand-dispenser but they aren't expensive.

10. Have a hand-truck to move your boxes around. Sort them by bottom, middle, and top, so fragile stuff always gets placed on top. And have fragile labels for all the stuff that goes on top. And label your boxes well -- not just "bathroom" but "prescription meds" or "dog grooming" and the like.

11. Take photos of everything before the movers arrive, during packing, and when they're unwrapped. That way you have evidence to support a tear or other damage.

12. Assume you're on your own with the move because you won't get easy help from the moving company if you incur damage. Same for their insurer. Their insurance contracts are opaque -- the language is intentionally almost impossible to read and exceptions and procedures to assign value are highly disputable. That's why I suggest you go to a separate, credible insurer. Counting them up, in thirteen moves I've had two moving companies who I actually trusted, six drivers out of thirteen, and one mover-supplied insurer out of seven they supplied. All of my independent insurers were trustworthy.

13. Unpacking is never fast and you usually need stuff faster. I go to Target and buy big clear Rubbermaid bins (about 24x16x32 inches) and use those to pack clothing, bathroom materials, and so on -- the stuff you need fast. Tape the bins closed. They are cheap and much better if you have to put a row of them in your bedroom to sort through clothes until everything is in place. I now have about thirty of them and frankly almost everything I have from the bedroom, bath, and kitchen goes into them. Boxes are used for books, art, lamps, etc.

14. For bikes, pack them yourself. Get good quality bike boxes. Don't try to get everything into a single bike box -- again, you pay for weight, not bulk. In a high quality bike box just get the frame with the crankset, wheels and bars removed. Pack those separately. If you have several bikes like I always seem to, pack the parts and wheels in frame boxes as well. Around a frame, insert some USPS medium or large flat rate boxes, put together and taped up. They don't damage your frame and they work well as spacers to keep the frame from getting crushed. A big heavy duty plastic bag does better than bubble wrap to protect your bike finish when you pack it. Just use some foam pipe insulation in larger sizes to protect the main tubes and fork. Whenever you put foam or any other packing around your frame, I have pieces of heavy duty plastic (like from a cut-up Hefty trash bag) against the frame itself with the foam over it so there's no adhesive or anything weird that affects the paint finish on the frame.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    More fodder.

I've moved a dozen times or more in my career. So a few comments:

1. There's not that much difference, in my experience, between pods and national movers if you factor in the cost of having furniture properly wrapped, speed of transit (which means hotel rooms while you wait), and so on.

2. Insurance: Definitely, absolutely. As mentioned above, get insurance that specifically covers your items for replacement cost. Most movers' policies only cover specifically named items or only cover at a minimal rate. Feel free to get insurance from someone other than the mover -- his insurance will favor him in any disputes.

3. Do your own packing of boxes. Leave the rest to the pros. A national mover will wrap each piece of furniture in blankets and then cover that in plastic wrap. This makes sure they really stay dry. Your move may require that your goods be moved from one truck to another part-way, and I've found that's usually an opportunity for pieces to be damaged or subject to rain. Get consistent sized-boxes because they stack well and the contents come through better. Don't use recycled grocery store boxes or the like. Home Depot heavy duty moving boxes are cheap and very good quality. I have some that have been through four moves and still are fine.

4. Start collecting bike boxes from your local shop. Don't take trashed or cut-up ones, but save the good ones, especially the thicker ones. They are superb for packing framed art, your flat screen TV, bulky items like garden implements, mirrors, and the like, plus, of course, bikes.

5. Put your own inventory number on each box or piece of furniture and have the mover match that number to his own when he's loading. Their descriptions on their sheets are always vague, but if you have that kind of identification, it makes it easier to figure out what might be missing. If the move has to change trucks, there's a huge opportunity for pieces of your stuff to go with whoever else is in the truck.

6. Know your driver. Check him out because that's what really determines how your load is treated. He should be with you end to end and just hire people locally to load and unload your goods. A good driver, especially a husband/wife pair who travel together, is much better than any national name on the side of the truck.

7. Pack your own stuff that goes in boxes. The furniture, leave to them. Pack bigger stuff in bike boxes. For smaller framed stuff, get a bunch of priority mail or Fedex flat document boxes and put one piece in each box, then put a bunch of the boxes in a larger packing box. The pieces are protected and always come through safely. You're charged on weight, so feel free to use volume to protect your goods as much as possible.

8. Don't bother with bubble wrap. It's expensive and doesn't work as well. Get 20-30 lbs of shipping paper from your mover and use it everywhere. It works superbly.

9. For tape I have fallen in love with the 4-inch heavy duty packing tape from U-line. It's expensive, but you can use one strip to seal a box and it's more secure than the 2-inch stuff you usually find. It needs a separate hand-dispenser but they aren't expensive.

10. Have a hand-truck to move your boxes around. Sort them by bottom, middle, and top, so fragile stuff always gets placed on top. And have fragile labels for all the stuff that goes on top. And label your boxes well -- not just "bathroom" but "prescription meds" or "dog grooming" and the like.

11. Take photos of everything before the movers arrive, during packing, and when they're unwrapped. That way you have evidence to support a tear or other damage.

12. Assume you're on your own with the move because you won't get easy help from the moving company if you incur damage. Same for their insurer. Their insurance contracts are opaque -- the language is intentionally almost impossible to read and exceptions and procedures to assign value are highly disputable. That's why I suggest you go to a separate, credible insurer. Counting them up, in thirteen moves I've had two moving companies who I actually trusted, six drivers out of thirteen, and one mover-supplied insurer out of seven they supplied. All of my independent insurers were trustworthy.

13. Unpacking is never fast and you usually need stuff faster. I go to Target and buy big clear Rubbermaid bins (about 24x16x32 inches) and use those to pack clothing, bathroom materials, and so on -- the stuff you need fast. Tape the bins closed. They are cheap and much better if you have to put a row of them in your bedroom to sort through clothes until everything is in place. I now have about thirty of them and frankly almost everything I have from the bedroom, bath, and kitchen goes into them. Boxes are used for books, art, lamps, etc.

14. For bikes, pack them yourself. Get good quality bike boxes. Don't try to get everything into a single bike box -- again, you pay for weight, not bulk. In a high quality bike box just get the frame with the crankset, wheels and bars removed. Pack those separately. If you have several bikes like I always seem to, pack the parts and wheels in frame boxes as well. Around a frame, insert some USPS medium or large flat rate boxes, put together and taped up. They don't damage your frame and they work well as spacers to keep the frame from getting crushed. A big heavy duty plastic bag does better than bubble wrap to protect your bike finish when you pack it. Just use some foam pipe insulation in larger sizes to protect the main tubes and fork. Whenever you put foam or any other packing around your frame, I have pieces of heavy duty plastic (like from a cut-up Hefty trash bag) against the frame itself with the foam over it so there's no adhesive or anything weird that affects the paint finish on the frame.
    ^This is a great write up, and pretty much our experience as well.

One thing I wanted to add, if you decide to ship your car make sure you research that as well. Car shippers are apparently even shadier than regular movers (lol). We used a company called 'Rust Auto Shippers' and they did a great job shipping my (ancient but beloved) 1st year Miata from Portland OR to Richmond VA. Rust gave us their fee ($1,500 in this case), and that was what we were charged to the penny. Apparently a lot of companies give you a fairly low estimate, then hammer on fee after fee once they have your car. 'Lucky Star' is really good too, they recommended Rust because they were too busy when we contacted them. I'm including this info in the thought that others may use this thread in the future to plan their moves as well. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we just moved this weekend. 2km down the street.

I don't recommend moving.
    im sore.
    im tired.

im expecting nothing will change in that department within the next few months.

lots of good info here.

we used our linens and paper and boxed all of our stuff and had a moving company do the actual house move. they had the truck loaded with all of our main living items and boxes in an hour and unloaded in the next two. my contract was hourly so I brought them back to get the rest of the stuff I had images of me moving on my own because I expected to run out of time. 7hours with 4 guys and a truck and im surprised they got as much moved as they could. I was pushing to have them come back and move my tools -mill, industrial sized belt sander and bandsaw- among my other garage stuff that was ready to move but we were mid-ice storm and it was deemed unsafe to carry on with slip hazards.
    Matt Moore
    @hellafabrication
    www.instagram.com/Hellafabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't recommend moving.
    im sore.
    im tired.
    We just did a 2-month move last fall. Moving into a temporary rental for two months between selling our house and buying a new one. Rental was less than half the size, but we knew it was temporary. Moving stuff into a storage unit, and to the rental, then from the rental and the storage into the new house... Sucks. It's like you never really get over the first move by the time you're doing the second.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just moved cross-country from Phoenix, Arizona to Georgia. The national moving companies are extremely expensive. Our quotes were between $30,000 and $40,000 depending on how much of the packing was done by the company. My moving allowance was much less than these figures. There are only 2 of us, so those prices surprised me. I had not moved for 15 years prior to that, and the previous move I did myself. At those prices, we literally could have sold all of our belongings, except for bikes, valuables, etc., and purchased completely new furnishings in the new locale for less than our quotes.

We ended up using ABF freight services. They bring a semi-trailer to your house. After the trailer is loaded, it is driven to your new location. We elected to hire local moving companies on each end to pack, load and unload. This was a much more cost-effective solution. This was approximately one third of the lowest national line quote. ABF and the local moving companies were very good to work with.

We still rented a smaller U-Haul truck and 2 car trailers. We have three cars. We packed the U-Haul with bikes and some of the things that the movers could not take (medical equipment from my former office). We put one car behind the U-Haul, and I pulled other car transporter with my pickup.

I would certainly do a move like this again, particularly with the cost constraints that we had. My wife and I are both very mindful of how much "stuff" we have. We purged quite mercilessly prior to the move, and clearly that wasn't enough. This is tempered, however, by the knowledge that much of our load was business-related and not personal.

Summary, ABF Freight and local movers at origin and destination worked well for us.

ps. The emotional trauma associated with moving is something else entirely.