Thread: Finally Bought Some Land

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finally Bought Some Land

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Well that doesn't suck. It's either a nice place or some great photo-shopping!

I'm worried about your writing though. It doesn't seem like the pad of a tortured, starving artiste. I am still amazed that you can do something like that closeish to NY without needing to be a gazillionaire.
    Well the land was affordable.....
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    I'm worried about your writing though. It doesn't seem like the pad of a tortured, starving artiste.
    I hadn't thought of it this way. Jorn, tell us about the deprivation and suffering in the plan.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    I hadn't thought of it this way. Jorn, tell us about the deprivation and suffering in the plan.
    I hear there's money to be made with Hallmark...
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no deprivation and suffering in this plan. I do seem to jab myself with dead branches fairly regularly and I am getting more of the same sorts of cuts on my hands I always had whenever I was involved in manual labors. Even that's not a bad thing.

As far as writing - "May you live in interesting times" is the famous curse. Well, we do. So no shortage of things to write about. I just spend an awful lot of time reading floor plans and checking other people's work. Looking looking looking for those weird oversights (for instance, towel rack on shower door hits towel rack on wall when door is opened) that create problems. Sort of like proofreading for a writer, so I am familiar with it, but I haven't written much more than a handful of pages since we started looking for land 4 (I think) years ago. But I've filled a couple notebooks, some times jotting down things on gas station receipts and then copying them into notebooks later. After driving up and back from Columbia County while looking for land, my desk sometimes looked like I had all my receipts saved for tax purposes, but it is what's on the backside that I was saving.

When we started thinking about building this, we wanted air, light and (at least visual) privacy. The opposite of NYC. And we are getting that by spending money. Our karma will be sorely in debt by the end of this, so we will have to do some future planning to make sure we've paid back into the community effort. I signed up as a volunteer for a reseeding effort with the Columbia Land Conservancy recently. There will be more things I hope. Things to do.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This project has been a joy to watch. We moved farther out last year to find a better balance off nature while not loosing all the conveniences of a city. Now we are beginning planning on a wholesale remodel of the existing 1982 ranch to include working with a landscape architect on how to create sustainable, natural beauty to the property (I refuse to install a sprinkler system!)

While it’s fun, catching up on this today also reminds me of the duration of an effort like this and that give me pause.....and reminds me not to enter into this lightly. Looking forward to seeing the final outcome!!
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was close, but now we don't have to worry about it.

Actually, when the trunk shattered, this big-toothed aspen didn't fall. The arborists came first thing and cleared a pine from the drive and then took this one down to the ground. It did bonk the cover on the propane tank valve, so we'll get that checked.

We lost four thin pines, this aspen and a nice cherry. These trees fell because trees we removed earlier to protect the house no longer supported them during E-NE winds. And last night we got a big storm with very strong E-NE winds. If the trees can withstand the force of the initial gust and wave back and forth, they are usually okay. But if the gust hits the tree hard and with duration enough the tree can't rebound, then it uproots or snaps.

Also tough to keep a tree upright when its roots look like this. Rocks and rocks. Probably not the best place to grow 60' tall, but with surrounding pines, you can eek out a living. The pines were cleared and the root's weak footing was exposed - literally. This is the black cherry tree. More cabinet wood for our cabinet maker friend.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am always amazed at the tenacity of mother nature and the ability of flora and fauna to not only grow but thrive. Roots through rocks!

Mike
    Mike Noble