User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: Everyone in Texas still there?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    21,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Everyone in Texas still there?

    Looks like someone has been throwing the Old Testement into the weather report again. Hope no one got flooded out.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,698
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    Was in north Texas this weekend for various crits. Water levels up there were higher than I had ever seen. Unreal seeing parks I used to go to completely underwater. And not just a few inches. Feet. Tops of benches were under water.

    Then yesterday happened. Drove from Dallas to Austin and am surprised we didn't get blown off the road. Never driven in rain like that. Same story here as in NTX. Luckily we're north and high. Some friends downtown and south in San Marcos weren't so lucky. Randomly ran into a pal from San Marcos prior to leaving Dallas. He said his apartment complex had flooded, but the water spared him. Not sure if yesterday changed that. Hopefully. From what I understand, this is the worst flooding we have seen since before I was born.
    -Dustin

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    16,580
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    Stay dry folks. I'm no stranger to flooding. It can be a nightmare. I hope you all stay safe and things dry out soon.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Larkspur, CA
    Posts
    7,788
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    My extended family and family are ok but my cousin in Houston has been posting incredible pictures of the flooding on Facebook. There is going to be a lot of damage and more.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin & Bentonville
    Posts
    1,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    It's been a helluva 24 hours... 7+ days actually. Last afternoon's rainfall was something I have not seen in Austin. I've have had an address here since 1989 and have seen LOTS of flash floods. Nothing like this.

    We are safe and without damage. But there are many that are not so fortunate.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,698
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?



    Seeing SRV in water is kinda crazy.
    -Dustin

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Larkspur, CA
    Posts
    7,788
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    It's been a helluva 24 hours... 7+ days actually. Last afternoon's rainfall was something I have not seen in Austin. I've have had an address here since 1989 and have seen LOTS of flash floods. Nothing like this.

    We are safe and without damage. But there are many that are not so fortunate.
    My dad grew up on a cattle ranch outside of Austin. Once in the late 1980's there was a huge rains. my Granddad needed to do something across the creek before the rains really got bad. So he crosses the creek in this old Suburban does his thing and crosses again. But this time it gets stuck at the creek crossing (these are dirt roads at best) The water raises quickly to the doors, he crawls out of the window and floats to the bank and gets out and hikes home in the dark and rain which was about 4 miles. he was around 70. Two days later they find the suburban 2 miles down the creek from the crossing.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heartlandia
    Posts
    2,992
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    Amazing video, Dustin. Hope the heritage trees are ok.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nierman View Post
    Hope the heritage trees are ok.
    With all that root damage due to the bikes, who knows...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nierman View Post
    Amazing video, Dustin. Hope the heritage trees are ok.
    a tornado touched down in central austin on saturday night. a very large post oak was blown out of the ground, and the top half of two other post oaks torn off the trunks.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    16,580
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    My dad grew up on a cattle ranch outside of Austin. Once in the late 1980's there was a huge rains. my Granddad needed to do something across the creek before the rains really got bad. So he crosses the creek in this old Suburban does his thing and crosses again. But this time it gets stuck at the creek crossing (these are dirt roads at best) The water raises quickly to the doors, he crawls out of the window and floats to the bank and gets out and hikes home in the dark and rain which was about 4 miles. he was around 70. Two days later they find the suburban 2 miles down the creek from the crossing.
    We had a bad flood a few years back that did some serious damage in my neighborhood. It came out of nowhere and we couldn't get our cars moved in time. Before the flood they were in our driveway parked front to back. When the water subsided they were in our side yard parked nearly side by side. Water is a powerful and unrelenting force. That video is crazy.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    just to give you an idea, most of the missing i think are in wimberley, a little west of austin. they had crazy flooding saturday and i imagine last night too.

    check this flow meter...insane. i don't think the blanco in that area has flooded since the 20's

    USGS Current Conditions for USGS 08171000 Blanco Rv at Wimberley, TX

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin & Bentonville
    Posts
    1,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    This is Barton Spring pool from two days ago. May 24th. Yes, this was BEFORE yesterday's historic rainfall.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin & Bentonville
    Posts
    1,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    just to give you an idea, most of the missing i think are in wimberley, a little west of austin. they had crazy flooding saturday and i imagine last night too.

    check this flow meter...insane. i don't think the blanco in that area has flooded since the 20's

    USGS Current Conditions for USGS 08171000 Blanco Rv at Wimberley, TX
    The destruction in Wimberly is staggering. I don't think they got hit too bad last night.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    The destruction in Wimberly is staggering. I don't think they got hit too bad last night.
    oh wow.
    whole homes and bridges washed away.

    Deadly Flooding Wreaks Havoc in Texas, Oklahoma - ABC News

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin & Bentonville
    Posts
    1,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    oh wow.
    whole homes and bridges washed away.

    Deadly Flooding Wreaks Havoc in Texas, Oklahoma - ABC News
    Flood stage for the Blanco running through Wimberly is 11 ft up the gauge. It hit almost 42 ft about the gauge. Homes, major bridges, trees and people. Last I read there were still a number of people unaccounted for.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,698
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    https://www.facebook.com/JonHaverfie...786885/?type=1

    That picture gave me goosebumps. I've been going to House Field since I was a baby. Never, ever thought I'd see that.
    -Dustin

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Concord, NH
    Posts
    2,352
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    Terrible stuff, just awful. Be safe folks.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northwest AZ
    Posts
    5,123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    Got two inches of rain yesterday, seven inches for the week, twelve for the month. Lake Texoma is over the spillway which means the Red River is actually a river and likely to close the main road heading north from Paris, TX just anytime. It's been epic here but nothing like what's going on in the Hill Country or West of here. There's no end in sight for now. My trip to Wisconsin gave me way more opportunities to ride than being here.
    Weight Doper

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,698
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Everyone in Texas still there?

    oddly enough, it seems like Paris is always getting shit on. The landscape still hasn't recovered from the ice storm 2yrs ago.
    -Dustin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •