Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: digital camera for cycling advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default digital camera for cycling advice

i need a smallish camera with a decent zoom that is durable and maybe waterproof

any camera experts in here?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: digital camera for cycling advice

*subscribed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an Olympus Stylus 790SW which is shock and waterproof. I've had it for a few years and it's a great little camera. I got it because my cousin is a professional photographer and he used this as is his travel camera. Zoom is okay but not great. Picture quality is very good. It's quite rugged and has been dropped many times and it still performs flawlessly. My nephew also loves that he can make underwater videos when we go to the Cape. It's my go-to camera whenever I go camping or kayaking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDangerPants View Post
    I have an Olympus Stylus 790SW which is shock and waterproof. I've had it for a few years and it's a great little camera. I got it because my cousin is a professional photographer and he used this as is his travel camera. Zoom is okay but not great. Picture quality is very good. It's quite rugged and has been dropped many times and it still performs flawlessly. My nephew also loves that he can make underwater videos when we go to the Cape. It's my go-to camera whenever I go camping or kayaking.
    cool thanks i'll check it out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.
    Best bang for the buck camera by a long shot- I have had 2 of them in the last couple of years and they work flawlessly: great images and good zooming action.

I have a Cannon G9 camera which I lug around for mountain bike pictures as I am trying to get a little better at taking pictures: the Cannon g series are great cameras just on the big side.
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    — Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
    cool thanks i'll check it out
    The new versions look pretty nice so I gather they perform just as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/////

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darren, for the money you probably can't go wrong. I wonder how waterproof it really is. It would be great to have a camera you can pack in your jersey pocket and not have to worry about sweat or rain. I would try to hold one and see how it fits the hand for easy operation while moving. Good luck! You ride enough to need one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ryan View Post
    "...It would be great to have a camera you can pack in your jersey pocket and not have to worry about sweat or rain..."
    Always my biggest concern and main reason I snap less pictures than I wish!
    Current favorite smallish camera is a Canon PowerShot S95 that doesn't seem like it would be suitably resistant to rainwater and/or sweat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

except on exceptionally hot or humid days, i put my camera in a lowepro santiago 10 in my pocket. i have never noticed moisture getting to the camera. and i can open it, remove aforementioned camera, take picture, and stow on the fly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God created zip-loc bags for a reason! I've been itching to get a Canon s95 or S90 but what I really want is a Leica X1 or Fuji X100 (if Fuji can release a good firmware update). All high-zoom lenses are good for on compact cameras is breaking :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always ride with a camera. I use the S90 mostly. It is resistant to sweat and impact. I usually carry the s90 in a soulrun camera sleeve, or on my camelback strap.

I smashed it in to a rock while in the rain and it still shoots fine shots: robonza: Canon S90 Tough Camera, That Takes Great Shots.

Pics from S90

I also have a Pentax Optio W60 (altho the current model is a WG-1 which is only $287 on amazon). It is really nice, however my old W60 had a ton of shutter lag. I imagine the newer WG-1 has addressed this.
    Pic from W60.

If I were buying a camera specifically for riding I would get the new Optio WG-1, if I were getting one for bike and other uses, I'd get a S95.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The S90 or S95 mentioned above - the S95 has some functional improvements (the click wheel on the S90 can move too easily for some). The Panasonic LX-3 and LX-5 are both awesome. The LX-5 has the same guts as the much more expensive Leica point and shoot. Sometimes you can find the S90 used at KEH.com for $275 or so. Used typically means that someone else bought it. My Nikon D90 from there had less than 200 shots taken. I can take 600 in an afternoon easy...

Put any of these in a LokSak - it's an industrial strength waterproof zip lock bag and your good to go. Any of these cameras is a good camera on its own, and all of them can shoot RAW if you want (if you don't understand this, don't worry about it).

EDIT Also, the G10/11/12 from Canon has the same innerds as the S90/95, but a more rugged (and larger) exterior. The S90/95 is much more pocket friendly.

check out kenrockwell.com or bythom.com for reviews. Both are opinionated and not always right, but both are pretty good overall, IMO. the Nikon Point and shoots seem to be regarded by most as behind the pack, even by Nikon homers.

It looks like KEH.com has some used S95s in stock now. One bargain S90. People seem happy with the Bargain grade stuff from there, but it's not for me.
    Last edited by cody.wms; 05-31-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Merging my zillion replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Always my biggest concern and main reason I snap less pictures than I wish!
    Current favorite smallish camera is a Canon PowerShot S95 that doesn't seem like it would be suitably resistant to rainwater and/or sweat.
    That is what I got and when I purchased got an no-fault damage policy. What that in hand I started stuffing it in my jersey pocket and despite getting lots of poor treatment and an odd rain storm is perfect. That is one he!! of a good camera btw, way better than me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, knew I shouldn't have come into this thread. I've been wanting to replace my point-n-shoot digital for a while now. Currently have a SD1000, but after this weekend's memorial day ride photos came out with 3 of every 4 being unusable I think it's time to get a replacement.
    Jon Fischer
    VeloBase.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A close friend has traveled throughout Europe and now Japan with an Olympus Stylus Tough 6020. He brought it with both snorkeling and kayaking off the coast of Okinawa and took a good deal of pictures in the surf.

In terms of features it may or may not be what you want but I can vouch for it's durability and dunkability.

Amazon.com: Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 14MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD (Black): Electronics
    There is water at the bottom of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread has gotten me down a rabbit hole I did not want to explore at the moment. I am about this deep: Olympus Trip 35

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    This thread has gotten me down a rabbit hole I did not want to explore at the moment. I am about this deep: Olympus Trip 35
    I'm not sure who said it first, but the best camera is the one you will use.

As far as old Olympus cameras go, I LOVE my Pen FT. It's doubtful that it would be of any use on a bike though.
    There is water at the bottom of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thoughts, I thank you for the useful materials.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast