Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daily Bread fresh baked every day: Topics to share and discuss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Daily Bread fresh baked every day: Topics to share and discuss

Since I've been asked by corporate to expound upon my Power of Story, I've added this quote to my introduction.

“CHAPTER VI
    Concerning New Principalities Which Are Acquired By One's Own Arms And Ability

LET no one be surprised if, in speaking of entirely new principalities as I shall do, I adduce the highest examples both of prince and of state; because men, walking almost always in paths beaten by others, and following by imitation their deeds, are yet unable to keep entirely to the ways of others or attain to the power of those they imitate. A wise man ought always to follow the paths beaten by great men, and to imitate those who have been supreme, so that if his ability does not equal theirs, at least it will savour of it. Let him act like the clever archers who, designing to hit the mark which yet appears too far distant, and knowing the limits to which the strength of their bow attains, take aim much higher than the mark, not to reach by their strength or arrow to so great a height, but to be able with the aid of so high an aim to hit the mark they wish to reach.”
    ― Nicolo Machiavelli, The Prince

It aligns with the person you've become being a sum of your journey.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting quote big man. Who among us does not enjoy a good bask in the glory of the master???? Love it. Learning from others is a patient sport, keeping the ego and eagerness in check is a bear. Seriously.

I'm half way thru Bridge of Spies: https://www.amazon.com/Bridge-Spies-.../dp/B003F3PKW2 I'm affirmed and horrified that the brilliant folks we and the Russians employ to gather intelligence, during the Cold War, were as inept and fickle as we suspected.

Intelligence ain't all it's cracked up to be yahwithmeonthat?
    Last edited by Too Tall; 08-28-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Having spent a part of my life doing NSA stuff, most of intelligence gathering is really dull monotonous work. Looking at raw news stories, comparing accounts, seeing who denies or confirms, etc to assemble an record of events. Then that record is compared to a timeline and compared to communications and coded messages. Not really James Bond stuff. What was shocking to me was how much damage spies within our own government agency could cause when recruited by the KGB. Each of them should have been put to death.

I'd get periodic polygraphs, usually not exceeding 6 months, to maintain my clearance. Questions weren't about any of my work practices, they focused on debt, fidelity, sometimes sexual orientation (have to consider the times), anything that could be used to blackmail you or make you see funds to pay off debts. I also had to allow periodic checks on my credit. I knew several people who had their clearances removed because of cheating on their spouse, running up debt, and frequenting gay establishments. This was during DADT when people had to keep their orientation to themselves. Hiding that and the threat of exposure and the effect on their career was seen as a red flag. The CO on my last sub actually, in a quiet way, encouraged folks to come out just so there wouldn't be anything "in the closet". Nothing to hide, nothing to be blackmailed for.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The latest paper I submitted concerned History versus Historiography. There are some differing definition of Historiography but the one I go with is: the study of written history. It's interesting that with all the resources and data we now have how much the expectations have changed with regards to history. In the past, historians or story tellers have related events by adding exaggerating or adding fictional details to keep the listener or reader interested. There really wasn't system to check the accuracy of what was said or written. Today with advent of the internet, email, text messages, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, there is a electronic record reaching back into the 80's. Before that, we had tapes and even those can be pretty damning (Watergate, LBJ, Reagan). Now we have expectations of the actual facts with no flourish but even that is skewed by sound bites or taking comments out of context. We've changed but we've remained the same.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    The latest paper I submitted concerned History versus Historiography. There are some differing definition of Historiography but the one I go with is: the study of written history. It's interesting that with all the resources and data we now have how much the expectations have changed with regards to history. In the past, historians or story tellers have related events by adding exaggerating or adding fictional details to keep the listener or reader interested. There really wasn't system to check the accuracy of what was said or written. Today with advent of the internet, email, text messages, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, there is a electronic record reaching back into the 80's. Before that, we had tapes and even those can be pretty damning (Watergate, LBJ, Reagan). Now we have expectations of the actual facts with no flourish but even that is skewed by sound bites or taking comments out of context. We've changed but we've remained the same.
    That would be a good primer for anyone truly interested in how and why words matter. Speaking of which: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...15f_story.html

The above, seems like a basic filler piece of journalism. However, there is much more to this.

Stop, listen and enjoy the nuances of words when wielded by writers who influence yourself and others. There are writers and speakers who are transformational. (duh). My point is that if you have interest in XYZ topics/events etc. etc. you owe it to yourself to consume as many sources as possible and use the ones, in particular, who are able to create salient points that LINE UP THE FRICKIN facts such that it represents that actual truth.

Opinion pieces, well...that's another story ;)
    Last edited by Too Tall; 09-06-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    That would be a good primer for anyone truly interested in how and why words matter. Speaking of which: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...15f_story.html

The above, seems like a basic filler piece of journalism. However, there is much more to this.

Stop, listen and enjoy the nuances of words when wielded by writers who influence yourself and others. There are writers and speakers who are transformational. (duh). My point is that if you have interest in XYZ topics/events etc. etc. you owe it to yourself to consume as many sources as possible and use the ones, in particular, who are able to create salient points that LINE UP THE FRICKIN facts such that it represents that actual truth.

Opinion pieces, well...that's another story ;)
    Folks that use opinion pieces to support opinion pieces are just lazy. For history, we have to preserve all the data whether it's pleasant or not. We have to study slavery, Nazi Germany, Empire building, racism, Civil War from both sides, and other topics that some people want to erase from history. We do ice breakers at the beginning of meetings. A few months ago I did an "on this date in history" where I said that on this date in 1914 that Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in Sarajevo. I got blank stares. History isn't given the importance that it should. We shift towards more technical education focusing on science and math but we ignore history at our peril. The good engineers and scientist know the power of narrative, the explanation along the way that better explains an outcome or project. Without the study of history, we risk the loss of the narrative skillset.
    Weight Doper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12