Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cameras, Again

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Sorry, no he has the camera!

Briefly, it would take a burst of five photos but only keep one. Then it wouldn't. Using the drive menu we've been able to switch between single and continuous shooting, but in the continuous mode it takes a gazillion photos (as long as you hold the shutter down) but it keeps them ALL. You try telling a 12 year old why his memory card is instantly full!

We haven't been able to get back to the "take 5, keep one" option that it did briefly. And I saw it happen, so I know it's not just 12 year old talk.
    Is it one of the automatic bracketing features? With that, you push the button once (don't hold) and the camera takes the first shot and then two or three photos to either side of the exposure of the first shot. So you essentially end up with 5 shots (or whatever you've set the camera for) of varying amounts of light, from which you can pick the one with the proper exposure for the scene.

An HDR function in a camera does something similar, except you never see the 5 photos (or whatever) it takes. The camera takes the initial shot, then shoots several other photos bracketing that exposure, and melds that information with the original photo, creating an image that retains both shadow and highlight detail. But really you only ever have one photo. All the combining is done in-camera automatically.

But I don't know of a function where the camera takes five photos and then selects one of those photos automatically, leaving you with just one photo. What is the camera selecting for when it picks the one photo out of 5? Focus?
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-20-2020 at 09:44 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Is it one of the automatic bracketing features? With that, you push the button once (don't hold) and the camera takes the first shot and then two or three photos to either side of the exposure of the first shot. So you essentially end up with 5 shots (or whatever you've set the camera for) of varying amounts of light, from which you can pick the one with the proper exposure for the scene.

An HDR function in a camera does something similar, except you never see the 5 photos (or whatever) it takes. The camera takes the initial shot, then shoots several other photos bracketing that exposure, and melds that information with the original photo, creating an image that retains both shadow and highlight detail. But really you only ever have one photo. All the combining is done in-camera automatically.

But I don't know of a function where the camera takes five photos and then selects one of those photos automatically, leaving you with just one photo. What is the camera selecting for when it picks the one photo out of 5? Focus?
    Thanks Jorn, at least that gives me something to look for! We did wonder what the hell the camera might be deciding upon...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get what your looking for, similar to what a smartphone does with a burst mode. I'm not sure it exists on my a7iii though. Must have been HDR or something. Its not an interest for me (although I understand the desire), but its shocking camera companies havent started including more computational photography. Thats proabably when I'll turn retrogrouch for cameras though, when they start basically including a phone in it.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this what you were looking for?

DSC-RX1M7 | Help Guide | Single Burst Shoot.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Is this what you were looking for?

DSC-RX1M7 | Help Guide | Single Burst Shoot.
    Could well be. I'll check it out when I get home.

It's a lowly Mk 1 though. I'll have a look. If that's not it he can't say I haven't tried!
    Colin Mclelland

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345