--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cameras, Again

If I had $1k sitting in my pocket gathering pocket lint, I'd get that zoom RX100 VII. 219 Buying Guide: Best compact zoom cameras: Digital Photography Review

Otherwise probably a Panasonic LX100 II. Or a Fuji X100F.

Most of these cameras now weigh noticeably less than an iPhone. I guess that's why fanny packs are in style again.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought two Canon GX7 Mk IIs for my yearbook kids to use. A nice small format that takes great pics, and is also a great vlogging camera for less than $600.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuji +1. one of my daughters has a good eye for composing a picture and can take better pictures with her iPhone shooting from the hip than I ever could do with my high end equipment. I had an old Leica slr gathering dust and took it to the local shop in central London. He checked it over in seconds like a true pro. I said I was interested in a trade for my daughter and he recommend Fuji. He said if the Fuji had a red dot it would be 3x the price. No money changed hands. My daughter has done well but I am pleased About that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never ruined a camera.....before today. I had my 1.5 year old Canon GX7M2 in my rando bag with a banana. The banana pureed itself on the bumpy trail and the slime got everywhere in the camera. Inside the lens cover, the aperture ring, all over the screen. Even after cleaning it off, the little lens cover louvers don't fully retract and when the lens emerges, it's covered in slime.

Worth sending to Canon to be taken apart and cleaned, or is it time to move on? Suggestions please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I've never ruined a camera.....before today. I had my 1.5 year old Canon GX7M2 in my rando bag with a banana. The banana pureed itself on the bumpy trail and the slime got everywhere in the camera. Inside the lens cover, the aperture ring, all over the screen. Even after cleaning it off, the little lens cover louvers don't fully retract and when the lens emerges, it's covered in slime.

Worth sending to Canon to be taken apart and cleaned, or is it time to move on? Suggestions please.
    Not sure how much that camera costs retail but if it is a lens retraction issue I would definitely try to fix before calling it A loss.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try Photo-Tech or Camera Doctor in Manhattan. Both have good reputations and legit technicians. I think Photo-Tech may be better for digital but not sure. They fixed a Canon lens for me with jammed AF and it is working fine 5 years later.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under smaller-cameras-for-handlebar-bags, Fuji has a new X-A7 that will sell for $699 with a (35mm equiv) 24-72mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens.

And the Fuji XE-3 with a (same) 28-88 f2.8-4 lens is selling for $899 or with a (same) 36mm f2.0 lens for $849. Those prices seem pretty good, so perhaps a new XE model is due.

Just fyi.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stumbled across this. I'm no photographer, but it may or may not be useful to someone!

Pro Tips: Better Bike Photography
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We often refer to the RX100 as the go to high quality compact camera. What about the slightly cheaper HX90/95/99 ? Are they worth anything?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone used a modern GoPro for bike shooting? I have one kicking around from 2011 which, while it works fine, is pretty sh*t - pictures are all 100% flat, zero capability to zoom, frame, focus..etc. It's as point-and-shoot as it gets. Sure, its compact and the battery lasts a million years but the pictures are pretty trash. I've heard really good things about their newer models, like there is a lot more user input/control but I'm not ready to drop $400+ on one to find out. Any first-hand experience here?
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

AU DELÀ - curated bike adventures in Southern France

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Try Photo-Tech or Camera Doctor in Manhattan. Both have good reputations and legit technicians. I think Photo-Tech may be better for digital but not sure. They fixed a Canon lens for me with jammed AF and it is working fine 5 years later.
    Thanks. I sent a repair estimate request to Phototech. Didn’t even know about them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I sent a repair estimate request to Phototech. Didn’t even know about them.
    Drats. It took them 5 mins to respond that they can’t help. Camera no longer sold and Canon not providing parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd check around on YouTube. I'll bet there is someone there who squashed a banana into theirs and knows how to do enough disassembly that they were able to clean things up.

You can also check on KEH and see what a used one costs.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Panasonic LX100 is one of the best cameras I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned a ton. The little-bit-larger sensor makes all the difference in the world at the wide apertures.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234