Thread: Cameras, Again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cameras, Again

Thomas, no worries.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Are there any versions of the Sony RX-100 which are preferred as there seems to be some decent deals on used units? I'm just not sure if model III for instance is significantly better than model I for a hack like me.
    I have the III. I love it. It's a great camera if used properly. I'd recommend the III, the IV or the V.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sony RX100 must be a very good camera as the price does not seem to drop.

OTOH, there are good reviews about the Canon Powershot G9X Mark II. Slightly cheaper than an RX100 with similar features, seem to take good pictures too.
    At £300 I'm thinking about, but the touch-screen can be a deal breaker. What do you guys think about? Will it be a problem when cycling, as I have cold hands so winter gloves go on for me when it gets a bit cold!

Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi coś colà dove si puote
    cị che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the generation no. 1 RX100. That is what I use and it is cheaper than the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post

OTOH, there are good reviews about the Canon Powershot G9X Mark II. Slightly cheaper than an RX100 with similar features, seem to take good pictures too.
    At £300 I'm thinking about, but the touch-screen can be a deal breaker. What do you guys think about? Will it be a problem when cycling, as I have cold hands so winter gloves go on for me when it gets a bit cold!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but the RX100 mk2 is still £450 while the Canon is £300. The Canon is lighter, can shoot in timelapse and has better connectivity than the RX100 Mk1.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi coś colà dove si puote
    cị che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but the RX100 mk2 is still £450 while the Canon is £300. The Canon is lighter, can shoot in timelapse and has better connectivity than the RX100 Mk1.
    These two have the same size sensor so you're probably splitting hairs on image quality. Sony has the track record with many versions of the RX series. Countering that is that I think Sony menus and layout are a mess whereas Canon is more intuitive. Can't go wrong with either.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on the hunt for a pocket-sized camera again, and I'm struggling to stick an RX100 in my jersey pocket since I seem to smash/drown/fill with grit just about anything that goes in a pocket.

Is there anything pocket-sized and maybe half the price of the RX100 that's worth owning, or should I just stick with an iPhone at that point?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'm on the hunt for a pocket-sized camera again, and I'm struggling to stick an RX100 in my jersey pocket since I seem to smash/drown/fill with grit just about anything that goes in a pocket.

Is there anything pocket-sized and maybe half the price of the RX100 that's worth owning, or should I just stick with an iPhone at that point?
    If you like the relatively wide angle shots from the iphone, its pretty nice, but once you start zooming to get closer to a "standard" focal length via zoom, it really struggles if you ask me, and most point and shoots would be better.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A buddy has one of these and thinks it is great. So does DPreview. Not a Sony, but it is less expensive and sealed up so well you can use it underwater. And unbelievably it shoots RAW files, which is amazing for this type of camera and allows you to resurrect a lot of info out of what may appear to be a bad shot. You can find earlier iterations on sale or lightly used at lower prices. Check Amazon or KEH.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-29-2017 at 11:28 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like it could make a nice upgrade from my Ricoh rugged camera.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    A buddy has one of these and thinks it is great. So does DPreview. Not a Sony, but it is less expensive and sealed up so well you can use it underwater. And unbelievably it shoots RAW files, which is amazing for this type of camera and allows you to resurrect a lot of info out of what may appear to be a bad shot. You can find earlier iterations on sale or lightly used at lower prices. Check Amazon or KEH.
    I've had one of those for a while, to take on rock climbing and canyoneering trips. It's surprisingly good, and it's nice to not have to worry about getting wet/dirty (as long as the lens compartment isn't covered in grit)

DaveS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Get the generation no. 1 RX100. That is what I use and it is cheaper than the rest.
    Thanks for the rec. I ended up ordering a first gen this morning since it doesn't sound like there's really much competition. Looking forward to trying it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three pages and no one has tried to convince anyone they need a Phase One or Hasselblad and a variety of $7,000 lenses? Where am I?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 0nelove View Post
    Three pages and no one has tried to convince anyone they need a Phase One or Hasselblad and a variety of $7,000 lenses? Where am I?
    We discuss equipment from that strata during meetings of the Finer Things Club.

Finer.jpg
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are y'all carrying cameras on the bike? Ziploc in a jersey pocket? Handlebar bag?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Fuji cameras for their color, sharpness and retro styling. Fuji has a different approach to digital image, a very different ccd. Their cameras are not the smalish and the menus are cluttered but when it comes to image and all around handling they get my money.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    We have one of these and it hasn't let us down. Glowingly recommended by the camera shop here. Fell out of my bag while on horseback, into a shallow stream with a rocky bed in the Canadian Rockies. It was there for a while (underwater for a few minutes) since I didn't know it had fallen out, was noticed by someone behind me. Not even a scratch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

I got an iphone 7 last fall and I haven't touched my really nice Olympus cameras since (XZ-1 and XZ-2). It's great as it's always in my pocket. You can't zoom in on things like you can with a proper camera, but it really seems to do the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally a camera with enough resolution. Sadly, low on portability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My RX100 seems to have died, because everything falls apart at once (home, bike, camera...).

What's the current happs on a similarly sized camera? I use this one on a strap while riding most of the time, but do occassionally stick it in my pocket.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

AU DELÀ - curated bike adventures in Southern France

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast