User Tag List

Thread: baseball

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default baseball

So if you are a pitcher whose ERA suffered from several years of Houston Astros (as per MLB) and (still being investigated) Boston Red Sox cheating, are you throwing high and inside on every first pitch during the regular season?

Hear a thump or a beep or a buzz or a chirp during a windup and the ball goes straight forehead? Everything better be quiet as dead church mice until the ball is released.

I expect the hit-by-pitch rates to go up.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: baseball

I love any sport where the most essential component of a cheating scheme is thumping a trash bucket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the question I have is... how would anyone expect this not to come out? Players move from team to team constantly.
    or, in reality, they all have some comparable systems to beat the game?

beat the trash can, tip the hat, yell to the batter?
    My money is on every team doing something comparable...

As for Kraft and the massage parlor... The guy had a coupon. He was supposed to not use it?
    It seems that anyone withing trumps orbit either is already or becomes a scumbag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is - and correct me if I am mistaken - "stealing signs" is absolutely legal (or, at least, is not covered in the rulebook) and only becomes a problem when any type of electronic equipment is used to capture signs.
    So keep thumping that barrel by all means as long as you're not filming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    My understanding is - and correct me if I am mistaken - "stealing signs" is absolutely legal (or, at least, is not covered in the rulebook) and only becomes a problem when any type of electronic equipment is used to capture signs.
    So keep thumping that barrel by all means as long as you're not filming.
    Houston was using a live feed from a strategically placed camera to a tv hidden in the hallway leading from the dugout. I would say that counts as filming.

Stealing signs using a runner on second base has always been considered fair game (and itís incumbent on the pitcher and catcher to switch up the signs in that situation) but this is on another level entirely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Houston was using a live feed from a strategically placed camera to a tv hidden in the hallway leading from the dugout. I would say that counts as filming.

Stealing signs using a runner on second base has always been considered fair game (and it’s incumbent on the pitcher and catcher to switch up the signs in that situation) but this is on another level entirely.
    Yeah, I wasn't attempting to defend - I knew about the filming. Just.... it would be such a loss for the sport if legal tubthumping was no longer part of the game.
    Anything against the rules stating that a spotting scope can't be used?
    This game is so weird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I wasn't attempting to defend - I knew about the filming. Just.... it would be such a loss for the sport if legal tubthumping was no longer part of the game.
    This game is so weird.
    I think the bigger issue is that the Astros cheating can only be done by the home team, so unless you give both teams the same camera angle and a TV monitor it tilts the scales ever so slightly. Maybe not a big deal over a long season where everyone has equal numbers of home games, but when you win all four home games of a best of seven and lose all three on the road, then yes people are going to be tweaked. (Including this particular Yankee fan...)
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game is so weird.
    Yes, there are rules about spotting scopes. Or rather, there are rules about stealing signs through the use of devices (optical, mechanical, electronic) and about relaying opponent information to the dugout in real time. Famously Bobby Thompson's home run was achieved during a season where the Giants were using a telescope in their bullpen to pick out the catcher's signals, which were then relayed to the dugout by a buzzer system attached to the telephone.

The Houston Astros did not deny stealing signs as far as I understand it. They denied doing it with any sort of assisting device. But the famous video done by a baseball blogger showed that the banging happened almost at the same time as the catcher flashed the signs, so really there was no other way to do it than with optics and electronics.

Infielders, typically the shortstop, use signs to relay pitch information to other infielders and the outfielders so the others can shade towards the direction of a possible hit before the bat is even swung. Smart hitters (Barry Bonds was supposedly one) learn the nuances of these signs and can sometimes tell what's coming by signals or the movement of the defensive players. When Alex Rodriguez was with the Mariners, he was supposedly known as a pitch-tipper to the frustration of certain Mariners pitchers (Felix Hernandez.) Rodriguez said if he tipped any pitches, it was only in an attempt to get batters to swing at a bad pitch - tip fastball for a sinker thrown in the dirt.

Amazing how much goes on between pitches.

But that's all based on individual smarts.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-22-2020 at 01:45 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, the way the Astros apologized just made people - people who had their ERA adversely affected - angry. I think the words "our players should not be punished" was the key passage in the apology that got it going.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ice-their-own/

We'll see what happens.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking there's a lot of chin music this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny trade...
    Red Sox trade Mookie Betts ( best center fielder in baseball ) for a 21 year old pitcher with a bad arm and a guy with a bad back cause they don't want to sign him to a big contract next year part was also dumping David Price who apparently has attitude issues.. they will eat $16m of PRice's contract though he has been one their least worst pitchers including a MVP in the World Series ( though picked another guy who got hot for 3 games all year ).

Has not been well received in Boston.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It certainly looked weird. Almost like they were saying Mookie Betts' batting average was based on cheating with Alex Cora's system, and so there was no way Betts would be worth the kind of contract he'd looking at next year. Because everyone knows that Betts' truly break-out year was 2018, the first year of Alex Cora as Boston manager. So without Alex Cora, Mookie Betts has to be packaged with David Price + money for two minor leaguers and a journeyman outfielder?

Just weird.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My son was a high school pitcher. Sometimes you throw at the batter, but always below the waist. A brush back or intentional (without looking intentional) should hit the batter in the legs or butt. A pitch to the head is usually a curve ball that the pitcher lost. Unless it was Nolan Ryan, then he meant it.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nolan Ryan is the best. My favorite...when he was an old man.

I love how Ventura charges, gets close, then recognizes he wishes he would have just taken first.
    Jason Babcock