User Tag List

Thread: Apple discontinues TC (all of em')

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Apple discontinues TC (all of em')

My 2TB Time capsule is giving me the eye. The device has served it's purpose and is old enough that I know it is time to cut and run

It came as no shock that Apple is discontinuing the TC (all versions) since mesh Wi-Fi and other emerging technologies rapidly overtake.

If I refresh the wireless tech. and the remote airports I'm using to extend my network I lose backup, wireless and whole house / addition coverage blah blah blah.

Google seems to be the obvious choice? I'll need multiple device backup to something using Time Machine...because it's easy and it works fine. I'm thinking a good old WD MyCloud they seem indestructible.

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 03-03-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Apple discontinues TC (all of em')

+1 on MyCloud. Been using it at home for 3+ years, and zero issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT...the cloud is the storage cash cow of the present and the future. Like Larry, I have been using iCloud for the past several years as I gave in to the ease of use and the absence of hardware. I firmly believe in the not too distant future that there will be a global hack of such an enormous proportion, where we are all compromised at the same time, effectively making Bill Gates and I equal in terms of net worth.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    TT...the cloud is the storage cash cow of the present and the future. Like Larry, I have been using iCloud for the past several years as I gave in to the ease of use and the absence of hardware. I firmly believe in the not too distant future that there will be a global hack of such an enormous proportion, where we are all compromised at the same time, effectively making Bill Gates and I equal in terms of net worth.
    Bill Gates can't make a Chocolate Babka, you are worth alot more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Except iCloud is now hosted across Azure, AWS and googleCloud. I would be more concerned of the Federal Gov cloud computing initiative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They may have discontinued the Time Capsule, but the software is still supported by Apple. You just need to buy a TC compatible router or NAS. Or if you plug in, any USB drive can be a time machine device.

Best NAS drives for Mac 219: Essential buying advice - Macworld UK

I don't think the sky is falling .

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    They may have discontinued the Time Capsule, but the software is still supported by Apple. You just need to buy a TC compatible router or NAS. Or if you plug in, any USB drive can be a time machine device.

Best NAS drives for Mac 219: Essential buying advice - Macworld UK

I don't think the sky is falling .

-Joe
    No no definitely not a panic. Just looking to make a move that will work well for the next five years'ish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy was I unclear I don't think the sky is falling with regard to a huge hack. I've spent too much time plowing the 2 feet of snow we got, maybe my brain is frozen.

I use a time capsule myself the ease of use with time machine is great. I will just buy a NAS that supports time machine when it dies, should be the same ease of use.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Any cloud source plus a complete local hard backup. iCloud is at least pretty diversified and except for spilling nude photos of movie actresses, has had fewer problems than the other cloud services.

I've worked in areas where power or telecom fails and then you have no cloud access. If you want to keep working or have access to entertainment or whatever, get everything local. Remember that if someone hacks your power utility or cellular carrier, they are more likely to interrupt service (themselves or by forcing the utility to do so). And those of us on the west coast are all on the edges of our seats waiting for the Great Cascadian Subduction Earthquake that will make Boise the new waterfront community.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Lane and Joe. Nobody is objecting to Google to replace my WiFi, might be the thing. NAS shopping here we go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a long time TC fan but for a few years now Iíve gone to a combo of iCloud (personal) and Dropbox (work) and no longer use local backups. Other than what is mirrored from those two services to the home laptop and work desktop. I feel pretty good about security and very good about the ease of use.

For WiFi I switched to Plume recently after moving into a bigger place. This has been set it and forget it simple with great coverage and speed. Worth a look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_b_b View Post
    I was a long time TC fan but for a few years now I’ve gone to a combo of iCloud (personal) and Dropbox (work) and no longer use local backups. Other than what is mirrored from those two services to the home laptop and work desktop. I feel pretty good about security and very good about the ease of use.

For WiFi I switched to Plume recently after moving into a bigger place. This has been set it and forget it simple with great coverage and speed. Worth a look.
    Thanks. Plume specs. appear to be very good. The one and only complaint which concerns me is their privacy policy which deserves a little closer look before I commit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are transitioning to mesh and speed is a big consideration for you, the Netgear Orbi works very well. My up and down speeds off of the satellite are as fast as sitting inches away from the router which is not usually the case for most satellite-based systems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    The one and only complaint which concerns me is their privacy policy which deserves a little closer look before I commit.
    A valid concern, although I had little trust for Amazon (Eero) or Google which were the main alternatives I considered. I also had little confidence that any of these companies won't up and change their policy out from under me. My assumption is that very little of my data is private.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure I understand the membership thing with Plume.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Not sure I understand the membership thing with Plume.
    It is a bit silly. I just bought the lifetime membership which then discounted the hardware ending up at the same total cost as competing solutions. My sense is they want to pitch themselves as a internet services company instead of just a hardware provider.

It will work without the membership, but supposedly won't do some of the optimization. I did find that speeds increased after 24-48h of install, so something is happening. I imagine I will be updating hardware again before Plume goes out of business. They have also started to offer some content blocking/malware protection services. Can't say I've ever really had a problem, but with children now reaching an age where they can stumble onto a phishing site maybe it will be useful. Like I said, I see it as a $400 hardware purchase with the "membership" a bonus, which was competitive with the other mesh systems when I was shopping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For my house I use Cisco Meraki wifi and wired gear. It lets me have a VPN between my two places, cloud managed, mesh wifi and power over ethernet so I can put the wifi APs anywhere I want.

-Joe