User Tag List

Page 96 of 97 FirstFirst ... 868788899091929394959697 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 1923

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

  1. #1901
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    Of course we'll have to see, but I don't see how federal laws were broken and state laws weren't so there'd be a state level criminal case should NYS or others so choose.
    I think Bannon was doing the classic grift- crowdfunding from small donors to raise money to build a wall by giving misleading representations on the nature of the organization and compensation received. I think it was classic wire-fraud case.
    0
     

  2. #1902
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I think Bannon was doing the classic grift- crowdfunding from small donors to raise money to build a wall by giving misleading representations on the nature of the organization and compensation received. I think it was classic wire-fraud case.
    I believe it may have been a tax-exempt entity and he used $1MM of the funds to pay his personal expenses (along with two others involved in the organization). Those entities are formed in particular states and subject to the laws therein (I'm thinking self-dealing). See Trump Foundation and NY. But, again, we shall see.
    0
     

  3. #1903
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    that crap ended well eh? what did people expect voting for such a moron?
    Matt Zilliox
    0
     

  4. #1904
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,569
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Corso once asked me, pejoratively and out of context, if there was anything I liked about the USA; I just realized that one of the most important answers is that today could happen, and has happened every four years, for nearly three centuries.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets
    12
     

  5. #1905
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    661
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Not usually one for an anthem - but damn, Gaga killed it.......

    .
    .
    .

    This was on my mind when I woke up today - or some combination of this and Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie. It's nice to feel some hope again.

    When the Ship Comes In, Bob Dylan

    Oh, the time will come up
    When the winds will stop
    And the breeze will cease to be breathin'
    Like the stillness in the wind
    Before the hurricane begins
    The hour that the ship comes in
    And the seas will split
    And the ship will hit
    And the sands on the shoreline will be shaking
    Then the tide will sound
    And the wind will pound
    And the morning will be breaking
    Oh, the fishes will laugh
    As they swim out of the path
    And the seagulls they'll be smiling
    And the rocks on the sand
    Will proudly stand
    The hour that the ship comes in
    And the words that are used
    For to get the ship confused
    Will not be understood as they're spoken
    For the chains of the sea
    Will have busted in the night
    And will be buried at the bottom of the ocean
    A song will lift
    As the mainsail shifts
    And the boat drifts on to the shoreline
    And the sun will respect
    Every face on the deck
    The hour that the ship comes in
    Then the sands will roll
    Out a carpet of gold
    For your weary toes to be a-touchin'
    And the ship's wise men
    Will remind you once again
    That the whole wide world is watchin'
    Oh, the foes will rise
    With the sleep still in their eyes
    And they'll jerk from their beds and think they're dreamin'
    But they'll pinch themselves and squeal
    And know that it's for real
    The hour when the ship comes in
    Then they'll raise their hands
    Sayin' we'll meet all your demands
    But we'll shout from the bow your days are numbered
    And like Pharaoh's tribe
    They'll be drownded in the tide
    And like Goliath, they'll be conquered

    Dan in Oregon

    ---------------

    The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.
    3
     

  6. #1906
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    8,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    President Biden
    Vice President Harris
    GO!
    8
     

  7. #1907
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Amazing that Cruz has the nerve to show up.
    0
     

  8. #1908
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
    Amazing that Cruz has the nerve to show up.
    well, he is a craven dipshit.
    3
     

  9. #1909
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    I’m ready to ship a box of black Sharpies to the White House.
    0
     

  10. #1910
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Good riddance Trump.

    What a waste of four years.

    Let's try and get back on track with some of the important things. Climate change for example. Hopefully Biden can shame Australia's inept leadership to actually pull their finger out.
    1
     

  11. #1911
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    rio de janeiro
    Posts
    3,721
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    Of course we'll have to see, but I don't see how federal laws were broken and state laws weren't so there'd be a state level criminal case should NYS or others so choose.
    Same crime on fed and state level? If so one pardon should work but i know nothing of the US system.
    slow.
    0
     

  12. #1912
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Mass
    Posts
    12,193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    When day comes, we ask ourselves, where can we find light in this never ending shade?
    The loss we carry, a sea. We must wade.
    We've braved the belly of the beast.
    We've learned that quiet isn't always peace.
    In the norms and notions of what “just” is, isn't always justice.
    And yet the dawn is ours before we knew it. Somehow we do it.
    Somehow we've weathered and witnessed a nation that it isn't broken, but simply unfinished.
    We, the successors of a country and a time where a skinny Black girl descended from slaves and raised by a single mother can dream of becoming President only to find herself reciting for one.
    And yes, we are far from polished, far from pristine, but that doesn't mean we are striving to form a union that is perfect.
    We are striving to forge our union with purpose.

    To compose a country, committed to all cultures, colors, characters, and conditions of man.
    And so we lift our gaze, not to what stands between us, but what stands before us.
    We close the divide because we know to put our future first, we must first put our differences aside.
    We lay down our arms so we can reach out our arms to one another. We seek harm to none and harmony for all.
    Let the globe, if nothing else say, this is true.
    That even as we grieved, we grew.
    That even as we hurt, we hoped.
    That even as we tired, we tried, that we’ll forever be tied together, victorious.
    Not because we will never again know defeat, but because we will never again sow division.
    Scripture tells us to envision that everyone shall sit under their own vine and fig tree and no one shall make them afraid.
    If we're to live up to our own time, then victory won't lie in the blade, but in all the bridges we've made.
    That is the promise, the glade, the hill we climb.
    If only we dare it's because being American is more than a pride we inherit.
    It's the past we step into and how we repair it.

    We've seen a force that would shatter our nation, rather than share it.
    Would destroy our country if it meant delaying democracy.
    And this effort very nearly succeeded, but while democracy can be periodically delayed, it can never be permanently defeated in this truth.
    In this faith we trust, for while we have our eyes on the future, history has its eyes on us. This is the era of just redemption.
    We feared it in its inception.
    We did not feel prepared to be the heirs of of such a terrifying hour, but within it, we found the power to author a new chapter.
    To offer hope and laughter to ourselves.

    So while once we asked, how could we possibly prevail over catastrophe?
    Now we assert how could catastrophe possibly prevail over us?
    We will not march back to what was, but move to what shall be a country that is bruised but whole.
    Benevolent, but bold, fierce, and free.

    We will not be turned around or interrupted by intimidation because we know our inaction and inertia will be the inheritance of the next generation.
    Our blenders become their burdens, but one thing is certain.
    If we merged mercy with might, and might with right, then love becomes our legacy, and change, our children's birthright.
    So let us leave behind a country better than the one we were left.
    With every breath from my bronze pounded chest

    We will raise this wounded world into a wondrous one.
    We will rise from the gold limbed hills of the west.
    We will rise from the windswept northeast where our forefathers first realized the revolution.
    We will rise from the lake when cities of the midwestern states.
    We will arise from the sun baked south.
    We will rebuild, reconcile, and recover every known nook of our nation.

    And every corner called our country.
    Our people, diverse and beautiful will emerge, battered and beautiful.
    When day comes, we step out of the shade of flame and unafraid, the new dawn blooms, as we free it.
    For there was always light.
    If only we're brave enough to see it.
    If only we're brave enough to be it.


    — Amanda Gorman, National Youth Poet Laureate

    Last edited by thollandpe; 01-20-2021 at 09:12 PM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

    Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin
    7
     

  13. #1913
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    1,737
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    Corso once asked me, pejoratively and out of context, if there was anything I liked about the USA; I just realized that one of the most important answers is that today could happen, and has happened every four years, for nearly three centuries.
    Except for the election 4 years ago, right? You didn't seem to like that one very much.

    All kidding aside, John I'm glad to see you happy.

    I sincerely hope President Biden does well for our country. He has years of experience working with both sides (unlike the last 2 presidents), So I trust that will count for something.
    0
     

  14. #1914
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    624
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Same crime on fed and state level? If so one pardon should work but i know nothing of the US system.
    Nope - President can only pardon federal crimes and governors can only pardon state crimes. A conviction then pardon of a crime on identical elements may raise double jeopardy issues if tried by another jurisdiction in the U.S. but I haven't researched the issue.
    killing idols one at a time
    0
     

  15. #1915
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    661
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    When day comes, we ask ourselves, where can we find light in this never ending shade?
    The loss we carry, a sea. We must wade.
    We've braved the belly of the beast.
    We've learned that quiet isn't always peace.
    In the norms and notions of what “just” is, isn't always justice.
    And yet the dawn is ours before we knew it. Somehow we do it.
    Somehow we've weathered and witnessed a nation that it isn't broken, but simply unfinished.
    We, the successors of a country and a time where a skinny Black girl descended from slaves and raised by a single mother can dream of becoming President only to find herself reciting for one.
    And yes, we are far from polished, far from pristine, but that doesn't mean we are striving to form a union that is perfect.
    We are striving to forge our union with purpose.

    To compose a country, committed to all cultures, colors, characters, and conditions of man.
    And so we lift our gaze, not to what stands between us, but what stands before us.
    We close the divide because we know to put our future first, we must first put our differences aside.
    We lay down our arms so we can reach out our arms to one another. We seek harm to none and harmony for all.
    Let the globe, if nothing else say, this is true.
    That even as we grieved, we grew.
    That even as we hurt, we hoped.
    That even as we tired, we tried, that we’ll forever be tied together, victorious.
    Not because we will never again know defeat, but because we will never again sow division.
    Scripture tells us to envision that everyone shall sit under their own vine and fig tree and no one shall make them afraid.
    If we're to live up to our own time, then victory won't lie in the blade, but in all the bridges we've made.
    That is the promise, the glade, the hill we climb.
    If only we dare it's because being American is more than a pride we inherit.
    It's the past we step into and how we repair it.

    We've seen a force that would shatter our nation, rather than share it.
    Would destroy our country if it meant delaying democracy.
    And this effort very nearly succeeded, but while democracy can be periodically delayed, it can never be permanently defeated in this truth.
    In this faith we trust, for while we have our eyes on the future, history has its eyes on us. This is the era of just redemption.
    We feared it in its inception.
    We did not feel prepared to be the heirs of of such a terrifying hour, but within it, we found the power to author a new chapter.
    To offer hope and laughter to ourselves.

    So while once we asked, how could we possibly prevail over catastrophe?
    Now we assert how could catastrophe possibly prevail over us?
    We will not march back to what was, but move to what shall be a country that is bruised but whole.
    Benevolent, but bold, fierce, and free.

    We will not be turned around or interrupted by intimidation because we know our inaction and inertia will be the inheritance of the next generation.
    Our blenders become their burdens, but one thing is certain.
    If we merged mercy with might, and might with right, then love becomes our legacy, and change, our children's birthright.
    So let us leave behind a country better than the one we were left.
    With every breath from my bronze pounded chest

    We will raise this wounded world into a wondrous one.
    We will rise from the gold limbed hills of the west.
    We will rise from the windswept northeast where our forefathers first realized the revolution.
    We will rise from the lake when cities of the midwestern states.
    We will arise from the sun baked south.
    We will rebuild, reconcile, and recover every known nook of our nation.

    And every corner called our country.
    Our people, diverse and beautiful will emerge, battered and beautiful.
    When day comes, we step out of the shade of flame and unafraid, the new dawn blooms, as we free it.
    For there was always light.
    If only we're brave enough to see it.
    If only we're brave enough to be it.


    — Amanda Gorman, National Youth Poet Laureate
    That was beautiful to watch live this morning. And to watch again now. Thank you.
    Dan in Oregon

    ---------------

    The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.
    0
     

  16. #1916
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    That was beautiful to watch live this morning. And to watch again now. Thank you.
    Shit made me cry. My wife saw me and asked me what was wrong with me. Thanks a lot for embarrassing me in front of my family, Trod Harland.
    2
     

  17. #1917
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Niles, Michigan
    Posts
    517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Amanda Gorman was amazing! Her words were powerful and the way she spoke them made her the star of the inauguration. i was really impressed.
    1
     

  18. #1918
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    661
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
    Amanda Gorman was amazing! Her words were powerful and the way she spoke them made her the star of the inauguration. i was really impressed.
    See if you can find her interview with Anderson Cooper tonight - and their discussion of her afterward. She gives me a lot of hope for the future. Not just for her, but for others like her - the next generation that I may not understand but that is thinking more freely and openly (some of them anyway) than mine was at their age. I'm going to bed tonight much less cynical than I've been in years. America has a long ways to go, always has and always will - the ship seems to be slowly steering back toward the horizon though - and that is worth celebrating even as we roll up our sleeves and get back to work on all that still needs fixing.........
    Dan in Oregon

    ---------------

    The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.
    0
     

  19. #1919
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beechworth, VIC
    Posts
    2,147
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Hopefully Biden can shame Australia's inept leadership to actually pull their finger out.
    That would require Scotty from marketing to have a sense of shame. Not a highly valued attribute with the marketing team.
    Mark Kelly

    maker@lyrebirdcycles.com

    lyrebirdcycles.com

    The world is analogue, digital is a facsimile therof.
    0
     

  20. #1920
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    859
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Brexit was for me very much regretted but, until yesterday, rather a theoretical concept. I have just had to pay £92 taxes and import charges to the UK on a £380 eBay purchase from Germany. That is nearly 25%. Up until the end of last year such charges would have been £0.
    0
     

Similar Threads

  1. CX Nationals @ Asheville Chatter
    By RIHans in forum Racing@Velocipedesalon.com
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-19-2016, 02:13 PM
  2. Flanders chatter
    By thollandpe in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 09:14 AM
  3. Amidst all the other chatter ..............
    By TMB in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 05:47 PM
  4. nhl playoffs chatter
    By DCT in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 11:54 PM
  5. a new product for arse chatter
    By agilismerlin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •