User Tag List

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5152535455565758596061
Results 1,201 to 1,217 of 1217

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

  1. #1201
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    It's a form of it. Yes, there are some restrictions on eligibility (as there would be with UBI), and there's some variation in the amount paid (as there also would likely be with UBI).

    The idea that SSI is an earned benefit (usually emphasized by people who are taking out more than they put in) isn't much more true than it would be of UBI. Both SSI and a UBI are redistributive efforts to guarantee a basic level of sustenance and alleviate deep poverty.
    I'm making no argument for or against UBI, but describing the US Social Security system as UBI doesn't compute for me (speaking with my tax accountant hat on). People pay into SS. The amounts they draw in retirement are based on the work they did in their career and amounts they paid in. They are not eligible to draw payments from that fund until they reach a certain age. It is not universal. Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but I don't see how comparing/conflating SS with UBI helps someone make a case for UBI. Admittedly, I am not SS expert.

  2. #1202
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Near Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,307
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    If it really mattered, the electoral college process, could swing the vote either way. The Clinton gang gave it a shot 4 years ago when they tried to convince the electors that Trump was dangerous. It is more important now that what little faith in the electoral process that remains is preserved. Trump will move out. The EC is the fail safe for when the landed gentry can't steer one man one vote within prescribed limits.
    Jeff Hazeltine

  3. #1203
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY & MN
    Posts
    4,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    I'm making no argument for or against UBI, but describing the US Social Security system as UBI doesn't compute for me (speaking with my tax accountant hat on). People pay into SS. The amounts they draw in retirement are based on the work they did in their career and amounts they paid in. They are not eligible to draw payments from that fund until they reach a certain age. It is not universal. Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but I don't see how comparing/conflating SS with UBI helps someone make a case for UBI. Admittedly, I am not SS expert.
    We've framed SS as a work-based program to make it acceptable to Americans by emphasizing the connection between paying in and taking out, as if it were a retirement plan instead of a social safety net program. But the relationship between work and payment was always designed to be loose, and of course every generation so far has drawn out a good bit more than they've collectively paid, redistributing money from the young to the old. In its end goal and in its redistributive method, a UBI tries to do the same thing as SS. The only real difference is the superficial connection of SS to individual labor, although that does somehow seem to make all the difference to some people.

    My only point earlier was that retirees are already beneficiaries of a massively redistributive social program designed to make sure people aren't starving. It seems a bit hypocritical for them to be dead set against a program designed to provide everyone else with a similar level of security.

  4. #1204
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Cycling content: this was seen on today's ride. It was a beautiful, unseasonably warm day in CNY, 67F and mostly sunny. Even the sight of Trumpism conflated with Christianity couldn't ruin the ride. Apparently the faithful are praying his election is resurrected by the Pennsylvania and Michigan legislators.

    Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #1205
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beechworth, VIC
    Posts
    2,059
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    News here is that the Michigan state leaders left the meeting where they were being bullied by Trump and said that they hadn't been presented with any information that would make them change the outcome of the election in Michigan (where Trump lost by about 150,000 votes). This, on top of Georgia officially certifying Trump's loss there came with this photo:

    Giuliani.jpg
    and the caption:

    "Trump's chances of overturning the result are dissolving as fast as Giuliani's hair dye"

  6. #1206
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,073
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post

    "Trump's chances of overturning the result are dissolving as fast as Giuliani's hair dye"
    When I saw those photos I assumed someone had photo shopped them. Didn’t realise people did it in real life - I’ve only seen it in Poirot!

    Anyhoo, all a bit sad but my enjoyment of this debacle has been much enhanced by three people I learnt of here:

    Sarah Cooper
    Gathara (on Twitter - thanks Mark)
    And the First Dog on the Moon cartoons.

    And just to prove real real life is best an interview ending with a Trump fan saying “Donald Trump is a genius - that’s what the J stands for!”
    Colin Mclelland

  7. #1207
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    183
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    News here is that the Michigan state leaders left the meeting where they were being bullied by Trump and said that they hadn't been presented with any information that would make them change the outcome of the election in Michigan (where Trump lost by about 150,000 votes). This, on top of Georgia officially certifying Trump's loss there came with this photo:

    Giuliani.jpg
    and the caption:

    "Trump's chances of overturning the result are dissolving as fast as Giuliani's hair dye"
    To borrow a line from Goodfellas

    May fold under questioning

  8. #1208
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Fair Fight is boosting 13 Georgia organizations by raising and giving over $2.7 million ahead of the Jan. 5 runoffs.

    These groups work tirelessly on the ground to educate and mobilize voters. Join me in supporting them👇🏿#gapol

    https://www.ajc.com/politics/politic...MQVBTSKQSS2NA/

    Come on, folks; pitch in. Volunteer, contribute, both. Dig deep.

    This is not a drill.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

  9. #1209
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle of the mitten
    Posts
    2,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    Fair Fight is boosting 13 Georgia organizations by raising and giving over $2.7 million ahead of the Jan. 5 runoffs.

    These groups work tirelessly on the ground to educate and mobilize voters. Join me in supporting them����#gapol

    https://www.ajc.com/politics/politic...MQVBTSKQSS2NA/

    Come on, folks; pitch in. Volunteer, contribute, both. Dig deep.

    This is not a drill.
    https://fairfight.com/about-stacey-abrams/ This is the org....as John notes, if you can...please donate. PLUS we need to continue the pressure moving ahead to the mid-term elections as well. Do not relent.

  10. #1210
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    183
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    https://fairfight.com/about-stacey-abrams/ This is the org....as John notes, if you can...please donate. PLUS we need to continue the pressure moving ahead to the mid-term elections as well. Do not relent.
    Midterms and down-ballots

    Then in a few years, there's an election for Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice position (elected on 10-year terms)

  11. #1211
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    25,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Holy cow gorgeous weather yesterday. Under the working theory that if you can't go long go hard, I did and than some. Hopefully did not frighten the teenager on the Chris Boardman TT bike which looked like a proto-type he used (?) Pretty cool toy for a young up and comer. Anywho...

    The Hail Mary is more of a delay tactic than serious play. Sorry, coals to Newcastle.

    Read this: http://resources.utulsa.edu/law/clas...eralist/70.htm

    Also, OMMFG >>> elite strike force team. Best laugh I've had in four years. "Release the Kraken" indeed. Bite my shiny metal arse.

  12. #1212
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle of the mitten
    Posts
    2,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Michigan's Board of State Canvassers voted 3:0:1 to approve the election. It's a different set of four people (two from each party). Hours of people making comments, challenges, etc. but at the end of the day: our state election results have been certified. The guy who didn't vote against used abstain to avoid sullying his record for his future political aspirations.

    https://www.freep.com/story/news/pol...rs/6388768002/

  13. #1213
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13,902
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Michigan's Board of State Canvassers voted 3:1 to approve the election. It's a different set of four people (two from each party). Hours of people making comments, challenges, etc. but at the end of the day: our state election results have been certified.

    https://www.freep.com/story/news/pol...rs/6388768002/
    It’s absurd that this isn’t unanimous. The GOP has presented zero credible evidence of voter fraud. I hope history judges these moves and this party harshly. They undermine democratic principles.
    La Cheeserie!

  14. #1214
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle of the mitten
    Posts
    2,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    GSA acknowledges Biden is the "apparent" winner and releases transition funds.

    https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...a1923f52eebbad

  15. #1215
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle of the mitten
    Posts
    2,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    It’s absurd that this isn’t unanimous. The GOP has presented zero credible evidence of voter fraud. I hope history judges these moves and this party harshly. They undermine democratic principles.
    Shinkle reportedly has ambitions to be RNC chair or such, so he abstained to keep a no vote off his record. Sure hope people remember what he did today (and in recent days).

  16. #1216
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    5,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    rw saunders
    everything is connected

  17. #1217
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    25,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Thank you SpeedOne.

    In other news R.W. is winning this thread.

Similar Threads

  1. CX Nationals @ Asheville Chatter
    By RIHans in forum Racing@Velocipedesalon.com
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-19-2016, 02:13 PM
  2. Flanders chatter
    By thollandpe in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 09:14 AM
  3. Amidst all the other chatter ..............
    By TMB in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 05:47 PM
  4. nhl playoffs chatter
    By DCT in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 11:54 PM
  5. a new product for arse chatter
    By agilismerlin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •