User Tag List

Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 1217

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

  1. #381
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    15,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Propaganda becomes art!

    You have no idea how big a smile this post put on my face. I'm a bit of a nerd for Soviet Socialist Realism, though it's been quite some time since I studied it formally.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

  2. #382
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Yes. That is V-approved. Infact, move over make room for a few more.
    I’ll send the request out to the great beyond; rally point is my shop for those interested; libations available.

    Meantime, I suddenly had this urge to stick The Birdcage on. Oddly, the contrast within the film seems to dull the parallel insanity of our political/cultural reality. And like John Lee H noted on the first track of Mr Lucky, “I feel a little better now”.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

  3. #383
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    25,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    After we watch The Birdcage let's put this on loop >>


  4. #384
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    2,605
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    You have no idea how big a smile this post put on my face. I'm a bit of a nerd for Soviet Socialist Realism, though it's been quite some time since I studied it formally.
    An American counterpoint. Is this an ad to sell paper towels to businesses? Of course. Because capitalism. Does this hang in my bathroom today? Of course it does.


  5. #385
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    "Under some delusion, many Democrats and liberals have expected each new whistleblower’s report, each insider’s memoir to expose Trump’s corruption so shockingly, so unequivocally, as to make his supporters see the light. But the sooner these politicos understand that Trump’s supporters don’t care about his autocracy, the better the liberals can go about the business of trying to win this election."

    https://theintercept.com/2020/09/27/...cism-election/
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

  6. #386
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    And no John, Roe v Wade has nothing to do with my decision making, (I'm pro-choice) other than it's another "the sky is falling" outcry. It won't be overturned, period, but it's another "let's fire up the protest machine!" when a conservative, and "oh my God"- a Catholic judge is nominated
    You’re suggesting that the nearly half century conservative crusade to stack the federal judiciary (in particular SCOTUS) with socially conservative judges and the recent raft of red state legislation sharply curtailing (in some cases outright eliminating) abortion rights has been just for shits and giggles?

  7. #387
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Khen-Tuck-ee, USA
    Posts
    1,873
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by jclay;1021982[snip
    I don't really feel a loss at having missed the Dark Ages V1 so I wouldn't mind missing V2 either. KnowwhaddImean?

    Saw one of these on the Saturday ride....

    giant-meteor-2020-yard-sign-just-end-it-already-1.jpg

  8. #388
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    You’re suggesting that the nearly half century conservative crusade to stack the federal judiciary (in particular SCOTUS) with socially conservative judges and the recent raft of red state legislation sharply curtailing (in some cases outright eliminating) abortion rights has been just for shits and giggles?
    It's the failure of those who opine that there is no threat to RvW to address that (^^^) that to my mind impugns their observations, and/or analytical ability, and/or motivations wrt obvious reality. I mean, it's like arguing against gravity, or on a human scale against Noah Cross (Chinatown) when he stated to Mr Gittes "we ARE doing it" (stealing water in support of real estate development in the desert). It's an object lesson in avarice, the power of myths, tribalism, the ability to disbelieve in the face of slam dunk evidence.

    Now, everybody who wants to defeat Trump and the GOP, do something that can actually advance that goal. Phone bank, letters to the editor, get-out-the-vote efforts, contribute time and/or $, something; making the cases on usegroups or on FB won't help. Hop to it. Now.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

  9. #389
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    3,186
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    I hear Kool-Aid has rebranded its orange flavor.
    Jay Dwight

  10. #390
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coquitlam, British Columbia
    Posts
    9,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    "Under some delusion, many Democrats and liberals have expected each new whistleblower’s report, each insider’s memoir to expose Trump’s corruption so shockingly, so unequivocally, as to make his supporters see the light. But the sooner these politicos understand that Trump’s supporters don’t care about his autocracy, the better the liberals can go about the business of trying to win this election."

    https://theintercept.com/2020/09/27/...cism-election/
    Nate Silver: Dems up by 7%
    Electoral College: Hold my beer

    -g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

  11. #391
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    17,909
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Nate Silver: Dems up by 7%
    Electoral College: Hold my beer

    -g
    Nate Silver and single digit leads give me heart arrhythmia.
    Last edited by j44ke; 09-29-2020 at 06:33 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  12. #392
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    25,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Popcorn (x)
    Cocktails (X)

  13. #393
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    That debate tonight was an absolute shitshow from Jump Street.

    Why even bother? I switched over to the Yankees/Cleveland game 20 minutes in.

    Both the networks and the candidates have done a terrible TERRIBLE job with these debates for awhile now. They need to change the rules. Get a moderator who can moderate and give them some power other than yelling over people who are yelling. Start shutting people’s mics off is they can’t behave themselves. Get some live fact checking during the debate. Something. Anything. Cause what they are doing now is literally unwatchable.

    Yankees 12
    Cleveland 3

  14. #394
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    1,711
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Shit show indeed. Exactly as expected.

    Moderators shouldn't debate with the candidates.

    Moderators should have a button connected to electronic collars to zap the candidates when they act up, like puppies.

    Our Moderators here do a better job. ;)

  15. #395
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    3,186
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    I watched the entire debate. It was illuminating.

    Now I am having a sip of tequila.

    Donald actually spoke in complete sentences for awhile.

    Joe kept his sense of humor.

    Chris Wallace did the best he could.
    Jay Dwight

  16. #396
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In da Montana Rockies
    Posts
    1,863
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    I think the next moderator should be the guy from Around the Horn on ESPN. He can freeze frame the subject and shut off the mic. when he needs to move on.

  17. #397
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    4,149
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    A grim coronavirus benchmark highlights America’s failure to halt the pandemic | Washington Post

    "Out of every 1,600 Americans who was alive at the beginning of 2020, one has since died of covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus that’s still spreading around the world. That’s almost certainly a low number; in fact, it’s likely that the death toll from the virus in the United States is closer to 263,000, compared to the 204,000 that The Washington Post has confirmed. That would mean that one out of every 1,250 Americans has now died from the virus.

    Globally, the confirmed death toll from the virus has passed 1 million. That, too, is low. It’s low because some cases haven’t been confirmed to have been caused by the virus (though can be inferred, as above, from elevated death tolls). It’s also low because some countries (probably including Iran and China) have underreported even deaths that they’ve confirmed. But it is nonetheless a milestone and a tragic one.

    The numbers should serve as a reminder of how badly the United States has fared during the pandemic."
    Last edited by guido; 09-30-2020 at 06:19 AM.
    Guy Washburn

    Photography > www.guywashburn.com
    "I think that the whole Republican Party has been put in a position, with a few notable exceptions, of being mildly intimidated by the sitting President." Joe Biden, President Elect.
    “A lawsuit without provable facts showing a statutory or constitutional violation is just a tweet with a filing fee,” said Justin Levitt, a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles.
    “Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

  18. #398
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    I don't think I've ever been able to watch a presidential debate in it's entirety:
    1) they turn into the equivalent of fourth graders squabbling
    2) complex issues can rarely be addressed in two minutes
    I doubt I watched 30 minutes of it.

    This morning CNN posted a fact check compendium; I expect others will do the same, hope that all the statements and subject areas will be fully addressed, and that the small percentage of malleable folks remaining will recognize Trump for the treasonous, lying, self serving, ineffective, divisive and destructive president he is; and that his GOP enablers will suffer the same fate.

    Of the little I saw, Biden's not a real effective debater but that doesn't mean he doesn't have constructive ideas and wouldn't be effective in the role. By way of an abridged example on the issue of C19s damage to the economy and human life, with a Biden presidency (or a Clinton one):

    • The national pandemic materiale stock pile would have been replenished in advance, assuming no repeat of Senate sabotage;
    • the agencies and organs created by previous administrations to address just this sort of situation would not have been damaged, led by unqualified peeps and/or muzzled over the preceding three years;
    • knowledge of the impending pandemic would have been known and acted upon sooner by the administration;
    • our population would have been more accurately informed and the case for necessary action made;
    • a national mitigation strategy would have been implemented sooner;
    • economic damage would have been mitigated sooner and lessened;
    • fewer peeps would have died or suffered long lasting and serious complications;
    • our economy would have been sooner able to operate on a larger scale;
    • our performance would lot more like Italy's right about now!


    That's the sort of address that questions of import need if not during the debate, at least in the after action reporting.

    And now I will turn that into a letter to the editor.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

  19. #399
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Manhattan NY
    Posts
    1,282
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    I don't think I've ever been able to watch a presidential debate in it's entirety:
    1) they turn into the equivalent of fourth graders squabbling
    2) complex issues can rarely be addressed in two minutes
    I doubt I watched 30 minutes of it.

    This morning CNN posted a fact check compendium; I expect others will do the same, hope that all the statements and subject areas will be fully addressed, and that the small percentage of malleable folks remaining will recognize Trump for the treasonous, lying, self serving, ineffective, divisive and destructive president he is; and that his GOP enablers will suffer the same fate.

    Of the little I saw, Biden's not a real effective debater but that doesn't mean he doesn't have constructive ideas and wouldn't be effective in the role. By way of an abridged example on the issue of C19s damage to the economy and human life, with a Biden presidency (or a Clinton one):

    • The national pandemic materiale stock pile would have been replenished in advance, assuming no repeat of Senate sabotage;
    • the agencies and organs created by previous administrations to address just this sort of situation would not have been damaged, led by unqualified peeps and/or muzzled over the preceding three years;
    • knowledge of the impending pandemic would have been known and acted upon sooner by the administration;
    • our population would have been more accurately informed and the case for necessary action made;
    • a national mitigation strategy would have been implemented sooner;
    • economic damage would have been mitigated sooner and lessened;
    • fewer peeps would have died or suffered long lasting and serious complications;
    • our economy would have been sooner able to operate on a larger scale;
    • our performance would lot more like Italy's right about now!


    That's the sort of address that questions of import need if not during the debate, at least in the after action reporting.

    And now I will turn that into a letter to the editor.
    Trump puts on a shitshow and the public insists on false equivalency. There are not two sides to the debate. Biden should not be held to Queensbury rules when Trump was using a switchblade. Enough of false equivalency. -Mike G

  20. #400
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mont Tremblant, Quebec & UES, NYC
    Posts
    953
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

    Not sure this belongs here. I am very distressed by last night and agree with John and Mike above.

    But what my daughter just forwarded to me (albeit there is or is not potentially some false equivalency in it depending on how you read it) is so true...

    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

    -Jon Mandel

Similar Threads

  1. CX Nationals @ Asheville Chatter
    By RIHans in forum Racing@Velocipedesalon.com
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-19-2016, 02:13 PM
  2. Flanders chatter
    By thollandpe in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 09:14 AM
  3. Amidst all the other chatter ..............
    By TMB in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 05:47 PM
  4. nhl playoffs chatter
    By DCT in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 11:54 PM
  5. a new product for arse chatter
    By agilismerlin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •