User Tag List

Page 45 of 58 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 900 of 1157

Thread: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

  1. #881
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Thought this was interesting:

    Trumpís Vindictiveness - The Atlantic

    Thereís no playbook for how to handle the aftermath of an impeachmentóitís only happened three timesóbut as I watched President Donald Trumpís post-acquittal statement today, I was inspired to review what Bill Clinton said after the Senate acquitted him in 1999.

    The sometimes logorrheic Clinton was short and crisp:

    "Now that the Senate has fulfilled its constitutional responsibility, bringing this process to a conclusion, I want to say again to the American people how profoundly sorry I am for what I said and did to trigger these events and the great burden they have imposed on the Congress and on the American people.

    I also am humbled and very grateful for the support and the prayers I have received from millions of Americans over this past year.

    Now I ask all Americans, and I hope all Americans, here in Washington and throughout our land, will rededicate ourselves to the work of serving our nation and building our future together.

    This can be and this must be a time of reconciliation and renewal for America. Thank you very much."


    As he finished, a reporter asked him whether ďin [his] heart,Ē he could forgive and forget. ďI believe any person who asks for forgiveness has to be prepared to give it,Ē Clinton said.

  2. #882
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    919
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    I'm afraid that we already ceded that moral high ground. We're a failed democracy and a punchline to most of the world. I have friends all over the world who have expressed their shock and revulsion at USA 2020.

    Greg
    +1
    Colin Mclelland

  3. #883
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    3,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Trumpís bonkers White House post-impeachment speech, explained - Vox

    "So if anyone was holding out hope that going through the impeachment process and receiving a bipartisan vote for his removal from office would chasten Trump, his victory lap speech should resolve any doubt: It did not. In fact, the opposite appears to be the case.

    Not only is Trump still Trump, but those who look back fondly on the days when presidents felt constrained by the rule of law canít help but wonder how bad things will get."
    --Aaron Rupar
    Guy Washburn

    Photography > www.guywashburn.com

    Most people wait for the muse to turn up. That's terribly unreliable. I have to sit down and pursue the muse by attempting to work.
    Nick Cave

  4. #884
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Mass
    Posts
    11,235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    This is the genius of the current occupant of the Oval Office.

    Take an institution like the Medal of Freedom, and award it to someone whose behavior has been so beyond the pale, so misogynistic, so racist, so incredibly divisive. And award it precisely for that reason. At a time when reasonable people from all across the political spectrum bemoan divisiveness.

    It is simply unimaginable that this would have happened under previous Presidents. As if Clinton had given the medal to Monica Lewinsky, or Obama to Bill Maher. I'm sorry those are poor analogies but they're as close as what my dumbfounded brain could come up with right now.

    And yet here we are.

    It's a test, to see if we can discuss someone who has said and done so many repugnant things, and is now pitiable because of his illness, for us to still maintain a measure of charity and respect for him as a human being. Precisely because he has not shown that respect and charity to others.

    And yet we can certainly maintain charity and respect for others ourselves, and in our interactions here, because none of us are loathsome. Or that weak. Even if we fail the above test.

    And it is also a test, for those who identify as conservatives or republicans or even fans of other things the current occupant of the Oval Office has done, to see if you defend or approve these latest actions. To use the award of that medal to deliberately open divides and inflame animosity. To behave like a petulant, disrespectful, undisciplined, and vindictive child at an event like the Prayer Breakfast.

    "Still your president." That's not a retort, it's an absurdity. We've been played.

    This guy is burning the building down. While we're in it.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 02-06-2020 at 07:54 PM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

  5. #885
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    The only responsible thing to do, if we get out of this mess, is to end the Medal of Freedom program.
     

  6. #886
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    455
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Thought this was interesting:

    Trump’s Vindictiveness - The Atlantic
    Yep. Takes a guy like Trump to make Clinton look like a gentleman and class act.

    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    "Still your president." That's not a retort, it's an absurdity. We've been played.
    Greatest con in recorded history. I challenge anyone to find me a bigger one.
     

  7. #887
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    The notion that Trump's corrosive behavior and language doesn't encourage or give license to others here and around the world is patently absurd.

    The good news is that apparently ~75% of our electorate wanted witnesses to be called at the trial. Additionally, what was it, eight Republican senators expressed their belief that Trump committed that of which he was accused? They just didn't have any backbone. And I'd imagine that more evidence will manage to make its way into the public sphere between now and November.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

  8. #888
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    rio de janeiro
    Posts
    3,629
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    This is the genius of the current occupant of the Oval Office.

    Take an institution like the Medal of Freedom, and award it to someone whose behavior has been so beyond the pale, so misogynistic, so racist, so incredibly divisive. And award it precisely for that reason. At a time when reasonable people from all across the political spectrum bemoan divisiveness.

    It is simply unimaginable that this would have happened under previous Presidents. As if Clinton had given the medal to Monica Lewinsky, or Obama to Bill Maher. I'm sorry those are poor analogies but they're as close as what my dumbfounded brain could come up with right now.

    And yet here we are.

    It's a test, to see if we can discuss someone who has said and done so many repugnant things, and is now pitiable because of his illness, for us to still maintain a measure of charity and respect for him as a human being. Precisely because he has not shown that respect and charity to others.

    And yet we can certainly maintain charity and respect for others ourselves, and in our interactions here, because none of us are loathsome. Or that weak. Even if we fail the above test.

    And it is also a test, for those who identify as conservatives or republicans or even fans of other things the current occupant of the Oval Office has done, to see if you defend or approve these latest actions. To use the award of that medal to deliberately open divides and inflame animosity. To behave like a petulant, disrespectful, undisciplined, and vindictive child at an event like the Prayer Breakfast.

    "Still your president." That's not a retort, it's an absurdity. We've been played.

    This guy is burning the building down. While we're in it.
    The plan is to ruin, run, burn down to the ground every single democratic institution. Thatīs what DT, Bolsonaro and the self called conservatives (they are actually fascists) are doing. Itīs "direct democracy" and it means using the internet to call every prejudice, brutality, racist, mysoginist speech to come out loud and become the new status quo. Thatīs the plan and itīs working out fine... because you know socialism and globalization and healthcare are works of evil socialism. We are fvcked.
    I came here for the socks.

  9. #889
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: It’s telling that there’s no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    The plan is to ruin, run, burn down to the ground every single democratic institution. Thatīs what DT, Bolsonaro and the self called conservatives (they are actually fascists) are doing. Itīs "direct democracy" and it means using the internet to call every prejudice, brutality, racist, mysoginist speech to come out loud and become the new status quo. Thatīs the plan and itīs working out fine... because you know socialism and globalization and healthcare are works of evil socialism. We are fvcked.
    And once the uninformed and poorly informed masses figure it out it will be too late. Along those lines this gives a frightening look at how the social communication machinery is being used to accomplish it. It's not hyperbole to say that I find it alarming and frightening.

    The 22 Election Will Be a War of Disinformation - The Atlantic
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

  10. #890
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,943
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    The only responsible thing to do, if we get out of this mess, is to end the Medal of Freedom program.
    No, no, no. Where's the fun in that?

    I won't mention any names, for fear of violating Godwin's law, but since the award can be given posthumously, the sky's the limit.
    Why stop with El Rushbo? There are so many others in the propaganda business, some still alive, others long gone, who richly deserve it.

  11. #891
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    rio de janeiro
    Posts
    3,629
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: It’s telling that there’s no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    And once the uninformed and poorly informed masses figure it out it will be too late. Along those lines this gives a frightening look at how the social communication machinery is being used to accomplish it. It's not hyperbole to say that I find it alarming and frightening.

    The 22 Election Will Be a War of Disinformation - The Atlantic
    WE are watching social entropy. We managed to separate state and faith after centuries and it only takes one fascist to bring it down. Religion is running the show in Brasil... the military are going along on the pretense they are straightening out the nation against communism. Retired militaries are running every state commission including a film agency! A religious judge will be nominated for Supreme Court. In the end the army loses their credibility and funding but the pentecostal churches? They are the real direct democracy: they get their money directly from the faithfull. No need for taxes or congress approval like the army. Who is the supreme idol of these gangsters and morons? Donald Trump.
    I came here for the socks.

  12. #892
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    1,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: It’s telling that there’s no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    WE are watching social entropy. We managed to separate state and faith after centuries and it only takes one fascist to bring it down. Religion is running the show in Brasil... the military are going along on the pretense they are straightening out the nation against communism. Retired militaries are running every state commission including a film agency! A religious judge will be nominated for Supreme Court. In the end the army loses their credibility and funding but the pentecostal churches? They are the real direct democracy: they get their money directly from the faithfull. No need for taxes or congress approval like the army. Who is the supreme idol of these gangsters and morons? Donald Trump.
    Colky, be realistic. Take Trump out of the equation and chances are the events occurring in YOUR country would still be happening.

    It's become de rigueur to blame Trump for everything. You're in the majority in that.
     

  13. #893
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    1,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    No, no, no. Where's the fun in that?

    I won't mention any names, for fear of violating Godwin's law, but since the award can be given posthumously, the sky's the limit.
    Why stop with El Rushbo? There are so many others in the propaganda business, some still alive, others long gone, who richly deserve it.


    For the record: I don't agree with Rush getting that award. Never liked him.

    But then again, Obama gave out a just a few of them, among the 123: Gloria Estaban, Lorne Michaels, Oprah and his VP, Biden.

    The President gets to choose.
     

  14. #894
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    455
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    For the record: I don't agree with Rush getting that award. Never liked him.

    But then again, Obama gave out a just a few of them, among the 123: Gloria Estaban, Lorne Michaels, Oprah and his VP, Biden.

    The President gets to choose.
    I see your but Obama and I raise you a but Obama didn't give one to Louis Farrakhan. Nobody's quibbling with the President's right to choose; people are quibbling with the President's right to troll and deface.
     

  15. #895
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    I see your but Obama and I raise you a but Obama didn't give one to Louis Farrakhan. Nobody's quibbling with the President's right to choose; people are quibbling with the President's right to troll and deface.
    and we can judge him on his choices, and everything he does, because he is president, and its part of the job. Gloria Estefan was a nice lady and very talented, with a crazy long career of hits.
    im sure she deserved her award.
    Matt Zilliox

  16. #896
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    rio de janeiro
    Posts
    3,629
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: It’s telling that there’s no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    Colky, be realistic. Take Trump out of the equation and chances are the events occurring in YOUR country would still be happening.

    It's become de rigueur to blame Trump for everything. You're in the majority in that.
    No Corso, you are wrong. The tactics used to elect Bolsonaro were the same used by Bannon to elect Trump. Actually Bannon met many times w/ Bolsonaro and his sons/ tacticians. I donīt know the details of Orban in Hungary and the rest of the neo fascists around the world but the brazilian extreme right wing has taken clues directly from Bannon on what to do in order to demolish democracy and install intolerance.
    I came here for the socks.

  17. #897
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    rio de janeiro
    Posts
    3,629
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    I see your but Obama and I raise you a but Obama didn't give one to Louis Farrakhan. Nobody's quibbling with the President's right to choose; people are quibbling with the President's right to troll and deface.
    Peope like Trump use democratic rights to troll and deface democratic tolerance and virtue.
    I came here for the socks.

  18. #898
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Forever impeached and exonerated in no way, shape, form, manner or regard, Dotard says his impeachment should be "expunged."
    Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.
    Based on advice from Matt Gaetz, Cheeto Jesus says Nancy shredding the copy of the speech is a "flagrant violation."
    Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.
    Fire everyone you want Fucktard. Your day is coming and that right soon.
     

  19. #899
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coquitlam, British Columbia
    Posts
    9,323
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Itís telling that thereís no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post

    The President gets to choose.
    Of course he does, it's the Presidential Medal, nobody would argue he doesn't get to choose.
    This President shows his own lack of character by choosing someone as unworthy of the honour as Rush Limbaugh.


    As 2011 recipient for Literature Maya Angelou once wrote, "when someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time".


    -g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

  20. #900
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    1,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: It’s telling that there’s no Impeachment thread on VS...

    Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    No Corso, you are wrong. The tactics used to elect Bolsonaro were the same used by Bannon to elect Trump. Actually Bannon met many times w/ Bolsonaro and his sons/ tacticians. I donīt know the details of Orban in Hungary and the rest of the neo fascists around the world but the brazilian extreme right wing has taken clues directly from Bannon on what to do in order to demolish democracy and install intolerance.
    So blame Bannon.

    And if you don't know the details of the rest of the world, why blame Trump in your earlier post?

    I'll tell you why, it's so easy, particularly here on the Salon, where the majority of posters hate the guy.

    Your countrymen voted Bolsonaro in. That's where your beef belongs.
     

Similar Threads

  1. Best Thread?
    By bironi in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2017, 11:32 PM
  2. Local road construction project: Telling the engineer he's clueless
    By David Tollefson in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-03-2016, 07:54 AM
  3. The L-B-L thread is here.
    By rabo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-27-2015, 09:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •