Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 215

Thread: Strong Frames

  1. #121
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    annapolis md
    Posts
    545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Hey Carl, when or where can I buy a t-shirt?
     

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheEllipse View Post
    Hey Carl, when or where can I buy a t-shirt?
    I'm not sure. We don't have any shirts now or plans to buy any. My guess is that it won't be until the next NAHBS that we have anything. Sorry
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

  3. #123
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    I AM FROM BENDOR
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    it is obvious you "own" Strong Frames, but are you and Loretta employees,(with all of the stuff that goes along with that) or s-corp style board members, how does all of that work if that isn't too personal of a question?

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Posts
    9,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl S View Post
    I'm not sure. We don't have any shirts now or plans to buy any. My guess is that it won't be until the next NAHBS that we have anything. Sorry
    aw, c'mon! you would be totally suprised how many t-shirts you can give away! - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by vulture View Post
    it is obvious you "own" Strong Frames, but are you and Loretta employees,(with all of the stuff that goes along with that) or s-corp style board members, how does all of that work if that isn't too personal of a question?
    Everybody's situation is different and we consulted both our accountant and attorney to figure out the best structure for our company. Strong Frames is an S-Corp and we are both employees and we each pay all our payroll taxes and take pay checks. Also we used to have a bunch of employees so we set up with that in mind.
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    aw, c'mon! you would be totally suprised how many t-shirts you can give away! - Garro.
    Exactly! I just figured I wouldn't be a buzz kill and get into that.
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    1,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl S View Post
    Exactly! I just figured I wouldn't be a buzz kill and get into that.
    I'll take an XL........... or should I say I'll take another XL?

    Dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com


  8. #128
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirk View Post
    I'll take an XL........... or should I say I'll take another XL?

    Dave
    Would you like a free hat to match?
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    1,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl S View Post
    Would you like a free hat to match?
    Well natch! I could use some socks too.

    Thanks for hooking me up.



    dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com


  10. #130
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirk View Post
    Well natch! I could use some socks too.

    Thanks for hooking me up.



    dave
    My pleasure, after all, the money I make actually selling the rest will easily make up for the cost of the freebies...
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    1,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl S View Post
    My pleasure, after all, the money I make actually selling the rest will easily make up for the cost of the freebies...
    You sell them?


    dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com


  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl S View Post
    My pleasure, after all, the money I make actually selling the rest will easily make up for the cost of the freebies...
    We all know the secret behind Strong frames is Loretta when is her smoked out????

    I need a xxl and some socks myself!

    If you were a customer, and not a builder just an average Joe casual what frame type (steel, ti, carbon, al) would you purchase for yourself and what level components?

    As a builder I know that you are a big believer in selling completes as opposed to just framesets. Can you talk about this a bit please.

    Thanks

    Ryan
     

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by rphetteplace View Post
    We all know the secret behind Strong frames is Loretta when is her smoked out????

    I need a xxl and some socks myself!

    If you were a customer, and not a builder just an average Joe casual what frame type (steel, ti, carbon, al) would you purchase for yourself and what level components?

    As a builder I know that you are a big believer in selling completes as opposed to just framesets. Can you talk about this a bit please.

    Thanks

    Ryan
    Hi Ryan,

    Yes, Loretta is the horsepower. In a way she is being smoked out along with me because she's reading over my shoulder when I reply

    No Socks For You!!!

    For my money I'd buy steel with a Force kit. It would also be a cross bike.

    I like to sell complete bikes because the whole bikes is the final solution. Selling complete allows me to assure the all the right parts are on the frame in the right way and that it works correctly.
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    478
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Carl, while you obviously have a decent customer base, your main reputation seems to be more firmly established among other framebuilders-who, for the most part, are primarily familiar with your tig welding work.

    Does this reputation of being "the welders welder", invoke any unique problems as far as, "educating" your customer base, or trying to increase sales for you,(most cyclists don't know what exceptional welding looks like, especially under paint).

    Also, how does, (really going to grill you here) a perspective customer perceive your “superior product” if their knowledge of your primary selling feature, (welding excellence) is limited?
     

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by Proparc View Post
    Carl, while you obviously have a decent customer base, your main reputation seems to be more firmly established among other framebuilders-who, for the most part, are primarily familiar with your tig welding work.

    Does this reputation of being "the welders welder", invoke any unique problems as far as, "educating" your customer base, or trying to increase sales for you,(most cyclists don't know what exceptional welding looks like, especially under paint).

    Also, how does, (really going to grill you here) a perspective customer perceive your “superior product” if their knowledge of your primary selling feature, (welding excellence) is limited?

    Does this reputation of being "the welders welder", invoke any unique problems as far as, "educating" your customer base, or trying to increase sales for you,(most cyclists don't know what exceptional welding looks like, especially under paint).

    I don't think so, welding is a small part of what I do. For those that care (customers) great welding may further influence their choice but for the most part I think my customers know it's just part of the entire package.

    Also, how does, (really going to grill you here) a perspective customer perceive your “superior product” if their knowledge of your primary selling feature, (welding excellence) is limited?

    That's a great question but I think it's based on an inaccurate assumption. I'm known for TIG but I think thats more a part of my brand from the perspective of other builders rather than my customers. I have a few that have told me welding is very important to them but most seem to be more interested in the design and fab process as a whole. That is why I put so much emphasis on customer service and my design process which I think is actually my "primary selling feature".
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    1,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Can you tell us the status of the Strong carbon bikes? When do you expect to be able to deliver them?

    Dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com


  17. #137
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirk View Post
    Can you tell us the status of the Strong carbon bikes? When do you expect to be able to deliver them?

    Dave
    Thanks for asking Dave. The carbon frames are available now but I'm not really trying to sell them. I've sold a bunch primarily to people that I know or have sold frames to in the past and I think that's enough for the time being. I've never wanted to make the carbon frames a big part of my business, just a part of my business. As it stands I'll continue to work through the orders I have now and probably publish my carbon site pages in mid to late Summer. Once the pages are done I'll publish pricing and start promoting the carbon a bit more. I just want to take is slow and keep it comfortable and fun.
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Triangle, NC
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Your competence as a metal frame builder is beyond reproach, and now you are building carbon bikes. While your time with carbon is far more limited than your time with metal, I suspect you nevertheless have gained considerable experience with carbon construction to date. My question, what does carbon provide you, the designer and builder, that can't be done (or easily done) in steel or Ti? Can you provide attributes beyond merely lighter weight and maybe a slightly different high frequency vibration spectra?
     

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    "............
    Posts
    2,531
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl S View Post
    Hi Ryan,

    Yes, Loretta is the horsepower. In a way she is being smoked out along with me because she's reading over my shoulder when I reply

    No Socks For You!!!

    For my money I'd buy steel with a Force kit. It would also be a cross bike.

    I like to sell complete bikes because the whole bikes is the final solution. Selling complete allows me to assure the all the right parts are on the frame in the right way and that it works correctly.


    woooooopppps!
     

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Posts
    309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Strong Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    Your competence as a metal frame builder is beyond reproach, and now you are building carbon bikes. While your time with carbon is far more limited than your time with metal, I suspect you nevertheless have gained considerable experience with carbon construction to date. My question, what does carbon provide you, the designer and builder, that can't be done (or easily done) in steel or Ti? Can you provide attributes beyond merely lighter weight and maybe a slightly different high frequency vibration spectra?
    Hi Neal, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. The carbon frames can be tuned via tube specs, carbon modulus and laminate schedule but practically speaking the key difference between carbon and other material will be weight and damping. I could go into a diatribe about material differences and what that means but suffice it to say they are all different and the key is to match the customer priorities to the material.
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •