Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: Spectrum Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spectrum Cycles

Another one outta' here bound for the middle east. This is one of three natural brushed finish Ti frames that we finished up this week. I'm only posting this one since they all look pretty much the same, just different sizes and different dropouts.

20180720_103735 by TOM KELLOGG, on Flickr 20180720_103630 by TOM KELLOGG, on Flickr

20180720_103608 by TOM KELLOGG, on Flickr 20180720_103532 by TOM KELLOGG, on Flickr

20180720_103520 by TOM KELLOGG, on Flickr
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spectrum Cycles - Titanium Price Increases

Tough News from Spectrum Cycles:

We just got the word yesterday from our titanium supplier that our material costs have increased significantly, and they may go up quite a bit more soon depending on the outcome of international trade negotiations. At this point, there are two reasons for the cost increases: a) Commodity prices have been gradually increasing over the last few years as the economy has improved and demand has increased. b) Last night, the President instituted a 10% tariff on most of the source material for our titanium frames. That 10% tariff may increase to as much as 25% in the coming weeks or months depending on how negotiations play out.

As it turns out, the increase in the imported costs of titanium does not help domestic producers because they are about nine months away from being able to bring additional capacity on line and because their raw material costs are being hit with the same tariffs. It will however make it much more difficult for domestic producers to sell their products overseas as both their costs and other countries' new tariffs will hit them twice.

So we'll see how this whole thing plays out. Later today, you will see the real downside for you in all this. Our web site will reflect the price changes we are forced to make with our titanium frames. We are sorry for the fallout but we have to work with the reality of what is happening. Go ride your bike, it will make you feel much better.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spectrum Cycles - Titanium Price Increases

Gentleman that you are there is no need to apologize. The price is the price, we all appreciate you revealing why things are changing even though you do not have to.
    I'll remind everyone to listen well, T.K. speaks to realities of business and nothing more.
    -J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spectrum Cycles - Titanium Price Increases

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Gentleman that you are there is no need to apologize. The price is the price, we all appreciate you revealing why things are changing even though you do not have to.
    I'll remind everyone to listen well, T.K. speaks to realities of business and nothing more.
    -J
    I posted a bit more in the General Discussion about the Chinese tariffs. Feel free to check that out.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom do you think this will also lead to a price increase with your steel frames?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Spectrum could easily be my one and only road of any type bike. Figure that makes the frame worth 2-3x the purchase price ; )

More seriously Tom I appreciate the straight forward business approach and candor that has to me been a hallmark of your work ever since I first read some of your thoughts on forks, materials etc., years ago.

Finally, amortized over the lifetime of a Spectrum ti frame, I'm sure the price increase will still be pennies per mile.