User Tag List

Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 8586878889909192939495
Results 1,881 to 1,886 of 1886

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

My first bicycle. Well, not my first. But my first that was higher than a foot off the ground. Itís an Atala Gran Prix. Bobbe bought it for me from SDS Bicycle Shop on Palisades Avenue. Thatís up in The Heights, a section of Jersey City.

Story is I didnít want a bicycle. I wanted a car. But ended up with a bicycle. I had this friend in Bayonne, Jim Farmer. He rode his bicycle around all the time. It was a one-speed coaster brake thingy with a basket on the front.

There was an air of cool that enveloped the space he occupied. No matter where we were, at the park, or at a St. Andrews dance, or the diner. No one else I knew then rode a bicycle, or was so cool. Maybe if I rode one I could be cool too.

In 1970 there were no Dettos. No Gianni or Sergal. No deer skin chamois. My uniforms came from places like Hudson Army & Navy at 13th and Third. Adidas sneakers. I wore a smirk often. Always trying to be cooler than the day before. That hasnít changed.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you written an autobiography? I would buy a paper one.
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The season begins. Last March I was doing three hour rides several times a week. This year my bicycle hasnít moved an inch for at least three months. It rolled forward today.

When I say season I don't mean racing. That chapter of my life is done and dusted. I've embraced the Slow Food equivalent of riding. No cadence checks. No distance logs.

I like looking around. Seeing everything I missed before that fateful day in October 2019. It's all about paying attention. Stopping when I want. Not caring when I'm passed.

The first pedal of 2021 was to the liquor store. I grabbed a six pack of Long Trail. The Angry Gnome IPA. In bottles. I'll be a glass guy until there's no more glass around.

I won't drink beer from a can unless it's offered up by a pal. I only do it to be polite. It's getting difficulter and difficulter to stick to my guns. I don't like unsticking my guns.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Richard, I hope all is well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice to live in the moment.

Better than having the moment dictate living.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Wednesday I did the beer run marking the beginning of my 2021 season. Since then Iíve kitted up and done two rides totaling five hours.

My observation (so far) is that despite my inflated opinion of myself, while my mind might be that of a 32 year old, my legs disagree with my mind.

If I keep riding, everything connected to this project I call my life will be 32 years old in three weeks. Except for what it says on my driverís license. Ha.

Juan Ponce de Leůn missed the memo. Itís not about eternal youth. Age matters little. Itís about attitude. Mine is strong and exercised daily.

All This By Hand