User Tag List

Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 8485868788899091929394
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 1870

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

  1. #1861
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

    Just curious... why have you not removed the warning sticker from your crankset?

  2. #1862
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    20,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

    Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    Just curious... why have you not removed the warning sticker from your crankset?
    It's kinda' like the rest of the bicycle. I haven't touched a single thing on it (no adjustments, no tightening/retightening, no replacing anything) since assembled. I haven't lubed or cleaned it either. This, going back to February iirc.

  3. #1863
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    It's kinda' like the rest of the bicycle. I haven't touched a single thing on it (no adjustments, no tightening/retightening, no replacing anything) since assembled. I haven't lubed or cleaned it either. This, going back to February iirc.
    Interesting! I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Paul Price (of Paul Components) purposely does not wash or maintain his fleet of bikes so he can see what happens to his components when they are treated that way.

  4. #1864
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    20,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

    Before my four hours on Sunday.

    I rarely know which direction Iíll turn when I hit the driveway, much less the destination. I just go, but with an abstract idea of for how long rather than how far.

    Today I moseyed over to the other side of Guilford, almost to Stony Creek. On the way back I took my customary jaunt to the end of Whitfield Street to pause.

    The shoreline is beautiful. I never take it for granted. For a Jersey kid, it ainít the Atlantic or, more specifically, Belmar. But itís coastline, and it always delivers.

    On the return I found Neck Road in Madison, a turn Iíve never taken. As I was exploring it I wondered why. One stretch is more beautiful than the next. Iíll be back.

    This is me. Itís what contentment looks like in 2020. Riding just to ride. Simply to ride. No intervals. No goals. No finish lines. And no safety pin holes in my kit.

    All This By Hand




  5. #1865
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    leaf stuck in rear brake
    makes such an annoying sound
    cycling in autumn

    All This By Hand
    Ooh, let me try.

    Grime crusted bar tape
    Filthy drivetrain
    Tatty sticker

    Imperfection is Perfection.

  6. #1866
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    20,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

    Thereís one line to gas and another to oxygen. And two worn out knobs on the side. The tips I use are older than some of the riders on RSCX. Come to think of it, everything on my torch is.

    I never really learned how to braze. Or was shown. I stood there for months, many of them, watching Barry, Jim, and Charles turn on their torches and simply get to work. I stared a lot.

    By way of osmosis I began to notice things. Their body movements. Where the starts and stops were. The time taken. I watched as men juggled heat, metal, filler materials, and expectations.

    Joining a pile of parts to create a bicycle frame is technique. Itís a process thatís never the same twice. Iíve certainly never been able to duplicate anything. But the goal is to get (to the) there.

    The there is a place that doesnít exist. Itís a line that moves. A sound you can hear once, but never again. Itís a shape you might carve easily and then wonder how your tool lost its edge.

    First you have to want it. Then go to a place that has it. But they donít give it to you. You steal it. And when the intensity you spend a lifetime chasing starts to dull, you begin again.

    All This By Hand




  7. #1867
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Meriden CT
    Posts
    1,350
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Before my four hours on Sunday.

    I rarely know which direction I’ll turn when I hit the driveway, much less the destination. I just go, but with an abstract idea of for how long rather than how far.

    Today I moseyed over to the other side of Guilford, almost to Stony Creek. On the way back I took my customary jaunt to the end of Whitfield Street to pause.

    The shoreline is beautiful. I never take it for granted. For a Jersey kid, it ain’t the Atlantic or, more specifically, Belmar. But it’s coastline, and it always delivers.

    On the return I found Neck Road in Madison, a turn I’ve never taken. As I was exploring it I wondered why. One stretch is more beautiful than the next. I’ll be back.

    This is me. It’s what contentment looks like in 2020. Riding just to ride. Simply to ride. No intervals. No goals. No finish lines. And no safety pin holes in my kit.

    All This By Hand



    Somebody give that man a set of weights for Hanukkuh!

  8. #1868
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Between a rock and a wall
    Posts
    758
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

    Jedi Master stuff right there. With the tool to prove it.

    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Rick Stubblefield

    If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

  9. #1869
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

    No truer words ever spoken! Save preciousness for the after hours. Opps! I just realized that I am responding to Rick's tag line.

  10. #1870
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Carrollton TX
    Posts
    545
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Thereís one line to gas and another to oxygen. And two worn out knobs on the side. The tips I use are older than some of the riders on RSCX. Come to think of it, everything on my torch is.

    I never really learned how to braze. Or was shown. I stood there for months, many of them, watching Barry, Jim, and Charles turn on their torches and simply get to work. I stared a lot.

    By way of osmosis I began to notice things. Their body movements. Where the starts and stops were. The time taken. I watched as men juggled heat, metal, filler materials, and expectations.

    Joining a pile of parts to create a bicycle frame is technique. Itís a process thatís never the same twice. Iíve certainly never been able to duplicate anything. But the goal is to get (to the) there.

    The there is a place that doesnít exist. Itís a line that moves. A sound you can hear once, but never again. Itís a shape you might carve easily and then wonder how your tool lost its edge.

    First you have to want it. Then go to a place that has it. But they donít give it to you. You steal it. And when the intensity you spend a lifetime chasing starts to dull, you begin again.

    All This By Hand



    So. Richard, I learned how to braze from you - and from 10 minutes from the guy at the local welding shop. i learned from you that it was possible to make a living building bike frames, from those ads in Competitive Cycling and Velonews and BikeWorld, or where ever you put them. I knew from those ads that it was possible. One could do this.
    You and those Italians, who were already doing it then.

    I taught myself, starting with the 10 minutes of instruction from the guy at the welding shop (Hey, you guys should see what this schmo wants to do. (I still have the lug he brazed to a tube.)).

    Richard, you were an inspiration even back then in the 1970s, when you least suspected it.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •