Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 1870

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

Just curious... why have you not removed the warning sticker from your crankset?

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    Just curious... why have you not removed the warning sticker from your crankset?
    It's kinda' like the rest of the bicycle. I haven't touched a single thing on it (no adjustments, no tightening/retightening, no replacing anything) since assembled. I haven't lubed or cleaned it either. This, going back to February iirc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    It's kinda' like the rest of the bicycle. I haven't touched a single thing on it (no adjustments, no tightening/retightening, no replacing anything) since assembled. I haven't lubed or cleaned it either. This, going back to February iirc.
    Interesting! I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Paul Price (of Paul Components) purposely does not wash or maintain his fleet of bikes so he can see what happens to his components when they are treated that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before my four hours on Sunday.

I rarely know which direction Iíll turn when I hit the driveway, much less the destination. I just go, but with an abstract idea of for how long rather than how far.

Today I moseyed over to the other side of Guilford, almost to Stony Creek. On the way back I took my customary jaunt to the end of Whitfield Street to pause.

The shoreline is beautiful. I never take it for granted. For a Jersey kid, it ainít the Atlantic or, more specifically, Belmar. But itís coastline, and it always delivers.

On the return I found Neck Road in Madison, a turn Iíve never taken. As I was exploring it I wondered why. One stretch is more beautiful than the next. Iíll be back.

This is me. Itís what contentment looks like in 2020. Riding just to ride. Simply to ride. No intervals. No goals. No finish lines. And no safety pin holes in my kit.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

leaf stuck in rear brake
    makes such an annoying sound
    cycling in autumn

All This By Hand
    Ooh, let me try.

Grime crusted bar tape
    Filthy drivetrain
    Tatty sticker

Imperfection is Perfection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thereís one line to gas and another to oxygen. And two worn out knobs on the side. The tips I use are older than some of the riders on RSCX. Come to think of it, everything on my torch is.

I never really learned how to braze. Or was shown. I stood there for months, many of them, watching Barry, Jim, and Charles turn on their torches and simply get to work. I stared a lot.

By way of osmosis I began to notice things. Their body movements. Where the starts and stops were. The time taken. I watched as men juggled heat, metal, filler materials, and expectations.

Joining a pile of parts to create a bicycle frame is technique. Itís a process thatís never the same twice. Iíve certainly never been able to duplicate anything. But the goal is to get (to the) there.

The there is a place that doesnít exist. Itís a line that moves. A sound you can hear once, but never again. Itís a shape you might carve easily and then wonder how your tool lost its edge.

First you have to want it. Then go to a place that has it. But they donít give it to you. You steal it. And when the intensity you spend a lifetime chasing starts to dull, you begin again.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before my four hours on Sunday.

I rarely know which direction I’ll turn when I hit the driveway, much less the destination. I just go, but with an abstract idea of for how long rather than how far.

Today I moseyed over to the other side of Guilford, almost to Stony Creek. On the way back I took my customary jaunt to the end of Whitfield Street to pause.

The shoreline is beautiful. I never take it for granted. For a Jersey kid, it ain’t the Atlantic or, more specifically, Belmar. But it’s coastline, and it always delivers.

On the return I found Neck Road in Madison, a turn I’ve never taken. As I was exploring it I wondered why. One stretch is more beautiful than the next. I’ll be back.

This is me. It’s what contentment looks like in 2020. Riding just to ride. Simply to ride. No intervals. No goals. No finish lines. And no safety pin holes in my kit.

All This By Hand

Somebody give that man a set of weights for Hanukkuh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jedi Master stuff right there. With the tool to prove it.

Rick Stubblefield

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No truer words ever spoken! Save preciousness for the after hours. Opps! I just realized that I am responding to Rick's tag line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thereís one line to gas and another to oxygen. And two worn out knobs on the side. The tips I use are older than some of the riders on RSCX. Come to think of it, everything on my torch is.

I never really learned how to braze. Or was shown. I stood there for months, many of them, watching Barry, Jim, and Charles turn on their torches and simply get to work. I stared a lot.

By way of osmosis I began to notice things. Their body movements. Where the starts and stops were. The time taken. I watched as men juggled heat, metal, filler materials, and expectations.

Joining a pile of parts to create a bicycle frame is technique. Itís a process thatís never the same twice. Iíve certainly never been able to duplicate anything. But the goal is to get (to the) there.

The there is a place that doesnít exist. Itís a line that moves. A sound you can hear once, but never again. Itís a shape you might carve easily and then wonder how your tool lost its edge.

First you have to want it. Then go to a place that has it. But they donít give it to you. You steal it. And when the intensity you spend a lifetime chasing starts to dull, you begin again.

All This By Hand

So. Richard, I learned how to braze from you - and from 10 minutes from the guy at the local welding shop. i learned from you that it was possible to make a living building bike frames, from those ads in Competitive Cycling and Velonews and BikeWorld, or where ever you put them. I knew from those ads that it was possible. One could do this.
    You and those Italians, who were already doing it then.

I taught myself, starting with the 10 minutes of instruction from the guy at the welding shop (Hey, you guys should see what this schmo wants to do. (I still have the lug he brazed to a tube.)).

Richard, you were an inspiration even back then in the 1970s, when you least suspected it.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.