Results 1,821 to 1,834 of 1834

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

Pal, it's time to find your inner Rene. Just enjoy the simple and profound pleasure of leveraging your body forward, and be pleasantly gob-struck when you find yourself very far from home, but yet always at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can be hard to see one's reality, or to move on. Good job on both the participation and the decision. Andy
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m riding a lot this year. So much so that anything less than three hours almost seems like a mail run. That sounds terrible, and it’s so wrong. But most of my days on the bicycle in 2020 have been long ones.

I’m mixing up the routine. Some days it’s across the river and north. Some days I stay closer to the Sound. Today I connected some of my ‘90s loops around Lyme and Salem. I have to ride an hour from my driveway to get there.

Roads like Grassy Hill, Beaver Brook, Gungy, and Blood Street after I’ve already pedaled some to get across the Baldwin Bridge - it’s quite the hike. But once the second hour kicks in, I’m at the front steps of the endorphinage.

I’ve joined The Slow Bicycle Movement™. I haven’t completely let go of the fact that riding and fitness can commingle at times. My interests now include looking around (and forward) rather than caring about what cog I’m in.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a nice fella down there in your orbit who can build a smart machine for you if you ask nicely and then kick him in the chestnuts. His machine will allow you to expand your saddle time beyond your five hour window, and not have to put a foot down. The only downside will be an indiscriminate, and uncontrollable urge to speak French. You will begin to cross-pollinate with other like minded individuals who wear French berets on a Saturday in October and discuss such esoteric topics like low trail, riding through rainstorms for five days straight as you marvel at the water cascading from beneath your Honjo fenders. You will become fascinated by generators, wires and lights, scrum with neophytes over front loads versus rear loads, and you will engage in these discussions with a straight face. I've seen this happen to others. It has happened to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    There is a nice fella down there in your orbit who can build a smart machine for you if you ask nicely and then kick him in the chestnuts. His machine will allow you to expand your saddle time beyond your five hour window, and not have to put a foot down. The only downside will be an indiscriminate, and uncontrollable urge to speak French. You will begin to cross-pollinate with other like minded individuals who wear French berets on a Saturday in October and discuss such esoteric topics like low trail, riding through rainstorms for five days straight as you marvel at the water cascading from beneath your Honjo fenders. You will become fascinated by generators, wires and lights, scrum with neophytes over front loads versus rear loads, and you will engage in these discussions with a straight face. I've seen this happen to others. It has happened to me.

Plane and Simple

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    The world needs more of this.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi cos col dove si puote
    ci che si vuole, e pi non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theirs not to reason Weigle...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few things are as evocative of my old hood (Bayonne, NJ) as the neighborhood candy store. The most Id ever walk to find one was a block. Back then, they had soda and ice cream fountains, marble countertops with swivel stools, at least one often two pinball machines, a telephone booth (Google it...), and sold newspapers, some magazines, cigarettes, and those airplane kits made from balsa wood. Oh and you could also play the numbers there (Google it...).

Nearly all of these places had a Breyers Ice Cream sign above the front door similar to the image pasted in here. I fuck off on some Facebook pages dedicated to my hometown, and Im here, now, to testify that I miss some of the old days and the way life happened then. Im not a Hey kid, get off my lawn type of guy. Im openminded and accept change. I just dont think all of it is for the good. Id like to see a Breyers sign in my dreams tonight. Thats all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff Reeshard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good story.

In my youth, there was Jumbo's, another store whose name I can't remember, and Rovelto's.

In those days (the 60's), your parents could send you to the store to buy cigarettes for them. Whether it was legal or not I don't remember.

I routinely fetched the things for mom and dad.

One time I went on the mission to Rovelto's and decided to use the change left over from the cigarettes to purchase a pee-shooter.
    When I got home, the parent hit the roof and marched me back to Rovelto's to to return the pee-shooter in person...

At the no-name place, it was just as Richard described. They mixed seltzer with syrup to make your soda. I must have had a tooth on the verge of calling it quits, because when I took my first sip, it dissolved the final protective layer of enamel and, OUCH!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my town there was Guy's Drug Store. it was full to the ceiling of everything imaginable. Most importantly, to me, were the models and the Testor's paint and glue. God how i love the smell of that stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by d.bancroft View Post
    In my town there was Guy's Drug Store. it was full to the ceiling of everything imaginable. Most importantly, to me, were the models and the Testor's paint and glue. God how i love the smell of that stuff!
    Huge HUGE Revell Models guy here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Huge HUGE Revell Models guy here.
    Now we’re talking...countless hours at our basement workbench, listening to rock n’ roll (WZUM) on the AM radio, building, modifying and painting models of all types of cars. What parent in the modern world would allow their kid to use X-Acto knives while inadvertently huffing model glue and Testor’s paint? It’s amazing that we are alive.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can remember struggling with great intensity of which penny candy I should purchase with my nickel. All behind a glass counter. so many choices That poor store owner had the patience of Job because the kids never went in alone. We seemed to press our noses against the counter glass in sets of three kids per mission. Thanks Richard for stirring a great memory. Your photo looks more like what we called the news stand in Missoula terms. We had one of those with bins of pipe tobacco smelling so earthy. With rows and rows of magazines. That is where my friend introduced me to Cliff Notes. Sure beat reading the whole book. Our penny candy provider was more of a mom and pop grocery, the kids sort of went from penny candy to underage beer as we aged up, but not quite enough up. Mom and Pop must of needed the extra coins because I know I didn't look close to 21 when I was in HS.