User Tag List

Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 8182838485868788899091
Results 1,801 to 1,806 of 1806

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

I finish a commission. Relish the thought that another is ready for paint. Give the unit a last glance. And write down some specs so geeks in the future can wonder about serial numbers and bottom bracket drop. Then I clean the bench tops.

I started what's considered Knolling long before I heard the term or knew what it meant. I like order. But people give me money to arrange disorder. More than 20 years ago my pal Desmond paid a visit. He mentioned Francis Bacon in a sentence.

It may have taken some time, but I remembered his reference and started researching via Google. Ya. Bacon’s studio was walking entropy. Every image I saw reminded me of the eleventh hour here. If shit isn't sideways by then, I'm not working hard enough.

But I like order. So there's the routine whitewash of surfaces. It makes me feel good. Read: it makes me feel better. It's a gift of hope bestowed on me, by me. And when I unwrap it, I get another chance to tame the beast. To get closer.

Recently I've noticed no amount of order resembles starting with nothing. Which is the ideal. But my reality has been every bicycle bleeds something into the next bicycle. I try to sanitize the space. To forget everything. But it's futile.

It's more difficult than it was before. That simple task of removing everything that is not the exact combination of open space and small tools waiting for a new day. When I do this now, so much residue just lingers. As if to tease.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this is how I see my trade. More to the point, how I once saw it. The work calls. You spend an eternity listening, and watching, and grabbing what you can from those who walked a path before you did. You know the history. What goes where. Absorption happens. And when the routine becomes a routine. And the juices are leaving your body through both tear ducts. And you know you just know you can no longer work for the man. It's when you get a sign. And a workbench. And start swinging tools. A collection of outliers who each answer a different calling and the same one too. That is us. That was us. Or maybe it was just me.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people have children to gloat over. I have little files. Mine come brand new and with no life experience. Same as most children. I take digital pictures of my files just as a parent would photograph his kids.

My files live on the bench. In small groups. The groups are segregated by when the files arrived. I replace my stash every 3-4 months. We're talking these small guys. Not the longer more aggressive files.

I love my small files the way a father would his child. I baby these. Obsess over them. Very soon I'm unable to tell one from another, and the barrettes get tossed with the flats and these in turn fall next to the round ones.

When enough time passes and the commissions start running into each other, so too do my files. I try to keep the current batch separate from those they replace. But when I replace them. I don't toss them away. They're family.

When the new and the old somehow commingle, even if it happens against my better judgement, I know that it's time. But time for what? Generations of small files all in a single pile. Many still alive and begging me to use them.

Edge is a funny thing. At the front end we all have one. What does it mean when things become dull or soft? Is it better to find that sharpness elsewhere? Or do we hit the reset button and try to recapture what once was?

Everything has an expiration date. A shelf life. When something's brand new it reeks of hope and potential. My little files do. And then one day it's clear - crystal clear - that something has gone missing and it's time for whatever's next.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q: How does one say “Bring back the elegance” in Italian?
    A: One doesn’t since the Italians never lost it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    Q: How does one say “Bring back the elegance” in Italian?
    A: One doesn’t since the Italians never lost it.
    Not really.
    Just have a look at any Pinarello bike
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"