User Tag List

Page 90 of 94 FirstFirst ... 808182838485868788899091929394 LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 1870

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

This is Charles Barrett. He was at Witcomb Lightweight Cycles when I arrived in 1972. I was 18. He was my age, maybe younger. Charles was one of the primary framebuilders. He wasn't a racer or a rider. He did have skills at the bench. As a teenager, Charles took a job at Tanners Hill, watched as Barry and Jim made frames, and eventually was given the responsibility of filling orders.

My vice was across from Charles' table. All day long I'd glance over and try to pick up whatever I could. Study his body english. Watch intensely as he brazed a frame section in the hearth. I tried imagine Charles' thoughts as he whaled on a lug with his hand files. I wondered about his inspirations. And if he would want his name on the down tube some day.

Charles was pragmatic about his role. Everyone there was. Making bicycle frames was a job. Labor. They toiled to make each one beautiful. But craft was an afterthought. It was also a term I never heard used at the shop. These men were working for a paycheck, not bleeding for their art. This is a lesson I took home with me later in 1973 and never forgot.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 1972 when I arrived at Witcomb Lightweight Cycles, Robert Morley had already been there for a while. He was a local boy, younger than I was at the time (and still is, by the way) and doing whatever needed to be done. Assembling, shipping, but not making frames. I left almost a year later and Rob was still there.

This kid was a font of information. Rob knew the codes for all the spares of every small Campagnolo part. This, in a time when there was no SRAM or Shimano. He knew the differences between the brake casing paths of a Merckx versus a Barras or a Verbeek. Rob knew who made the frames labeled Bird Brothers that Mick Ballard or Alf Engers rode. But I think Rob (like me) was a Derek Cottington fan.

It was a different trade then. Smaller too, but that doesn't tell the story. Folks like Robert Morley were the backbone of all the cliques we traveled in. Some people raced. Some even raced well. But others were equal parts of the whole. As if cycling was a net that caught all of us. The Robs were there to balance the scale. Or maybe that's what everyone else was for.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard, I had a friend that rode a Bird Brothers. Beautiful frame, do you know who made Bird Brothers frames? I always they were a couple guys like the Taylor brothers. A family of guys building frames.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Richard, I had a friend that rode a Bird Brothers. Beautiful frame, do you know who made Bird Brothers frames? I always they were a couple guys like the Taylor brothers. A family of guys building frames.
    Many people made the frames. The brothers were "just" retailers and supporters of cycling. It was typical (then) for shops to get frames from suppliers like Tonard and just apply crack and peel decals to them when they arrived.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post

It was a different trade then.
    Thank you for the picture and the information. I note the 40 spoke rear and 32 spoke front wheel combination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Mosey Rideô

The Mosey Rideô season began today. Version 4.0. We started doing these after returning to the river valley. Maybe the weather and the plague thing are combining to nudge us. We hit the driveway at noon, turned left, and began pedaling.

These Mosey Ridesô aren't about riding much as they are about being. Being on bicycles. TLDô (my wife, The Lovely Deb) on her trusty 44 built D.E.B.ô (Do Everything Bike). I'm on my new road unit, the one I've been rearranging most of April. Almost there.

There are no rules for TMR (I'll spare you the spelled out words and service mark.) But if your heartbeat exceeds your weight, OR if you perspire, OR if your thought bubble contains terms like cadence or tire width or I'm in the wrong gear, it's against the rules.

We rode to Essex and made the first turn into the marina. Deb and I are always ready to say that we're here to see the commodore if anyone points to the Members Only sign. Learning to blend is key for a successful mosey ride. We don't belong to the Essex Yacht Club.

From there we went to the end of Main where our snails pace slowed to a halt as someone in a motor vehicle (an Escalade) tried to negotiate the traffic circle with one hand on the wheel while the other was holding an iPhone streaming a How To Drive YouTube.

We were out for two solid hours. Maybe 16 miles. But who really cares? Note: that was a rhetorical question. Deb and I love these times. We look around. And at each other. Giggle. These moments together become ours. And rather than ride, we can just be.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to Campy e-Richie?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by endo shi View Post
    Back to Campy e-Richie?
    For road, definitely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My middle nineties brochure. An evolved version of a B+W one printed several years prior. The words were written in 1990 to accompany a half-page print ad I was running in VeloNews. They were tweaked for both brochures, mostly to correct for timing and proper nouns.

This one in 4 color was a trip and four fifths. It has 10 panels, printed both sides, and the heavy coated paper stock had to be scored and manipulated so the folds allowed each panel to nest comfortably in all the others. Hats off to whatever technology produced that outcome.

We did all the storyboards using old an fashion-y analog design studio process. Then, because we planned to use this newfangled digital printing everyone was all wet and sticky about, each art file had to be - doh - digitized. 1996 was way to the left side of the developmental timeline.

After one failed printing run in which some of the color transitions went sideways, we accepted the next batch of one thousand. These were self-mailers so my task included printing Dennison labels on a word processor each time one would be mailed. I had to learn myself this method.

By the time these articles of RS information, fluff, and self-absoprtion began to circulate and make a difference, something came along and made all of it redundant. There was this thing called the internet. And by the turn of the century websites became the next delivery system.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INTERVIEW: RICHARD SACHS

TSC: Without the rise of Cyclocross in the US (and globally) would you still be making bikes?

RS: Hmm.

Read more here:
    INTERVIEW: RICHARD SACHS - Thomas Hassler

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to a roadie
    on a road bicycle
    everything is a road

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up on The Mosey Rideô.

It's become a staple of these times for me. My version is ONB (Only Nose Breathing).
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard_

Hope your well?

Can you please tell me where the pics were taken, looks like a great quite trail

Thanks,

KJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RSCROSS View Post
    Richard_

Hope your well?

Can you please tell me where the pics were taken, looks like a great quite trail

Thanks,

KJ
    The paths within Cockaponsett.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didnít want to get in trouble. I wanted to be troubled. Like those men I used to see at 13th and Third. And across from the Port Authority on Seventh Avenue. And inside the lunch counters in the garment district. Those rooms that were 10í wide and 90í deep. One long space with a single surface next to forty stools. And this guy on one of them. Alone. Drinking the same cup of coffee for an afternoon.

These men who were somewhat nattily attired but in clothes that looked slept in. A houndstooth jacket that reeked of dried perspiration and hard living. A Daily Racing Form crumbled in one pocket. These men who had that air of being lost. But since they never looked up, you couldnít really know their truth. Iíd stare. Iíd try to look into their eyes and maybe make a connection. And hope none ever noticed. I wanted want they had.

With the well-spoken body English that said leave me be. The detachment. That routine of monotony. And the full life that delivered them to whatever very day it was that my orbit collided with theirs. There were so many days like that, most before I left my teenage years, and the ones after too. I wanted to know what these men knew, however dark it may have been. To be derelict. To be a new breed of derelict.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those men sound like something Edward Hopper might have painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard are you scouting sites for a new Factory? Little bit o work and those would do
    just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This bad boy is six weeks old today. I made it last summer, then sent it over to Milano for the #columbuscento exhibition, then received it back in late January before deciding what to do with it. I didnít make it so I could have a new bicycle. Iíve been on a CX unit since 2002. But my hardwiring yearned for something different, something new. Itís a theme that catches more in its net than bicycles. One revolution at a time.

Iím riding two to three hours a day. Longer on the weekend. One day off for every seven. I still subscribe to the routine bubble bath for training, therapy, and mind control. Mine, that is. An hour in what begins as scalding hot water with more bubbles than a Lawrence Welk rerun, along with a recent copy of W or Robb Report, and with two liters of iced water with a splash of cranberry and orange juice to keep me hydrated during the shvitz.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a visual language, not spoken. I understand it. But never hear it. I know it when I see it.

A file in the maker's hand is communication. The tool and the surface it's rubbing up against.

To rearrange metal or to blend it seamlessly is a quiet yet deliberate chat held daily at my bench.

Iím an eavesdropper listening to a conversation about strokes and shapes and file marks.

Thereís a perfect amount of effort. Itís controlled and unscripted simultaneously. Like jazz.

Look closely. Every scratch tells a story. But only one scratch tells you the story just ended.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Wow, amazing shot.

I'm already used to your spoken wonders, but this shot is beyond words