User Tag List

Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 7879808182838485868788
Results 1,741 to 1,754 of 1754

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

Finish Work

My business model has been an inexact science since Day One. By dint of a prior life, I inherited clients and orders and started without really wanting for much at all. What I did crave had little – no, it had nothing – to do with commissions or a queue. It was about getting to the other side. It took a career at the bench to see it so clearly. The goal was never more, it was better. And I knew early on that better and practice were interrelated. So I became a practice zealot. It became the routine. My making wasn’t as much about finishing something as it was to place every step, and every step of every step, under a lens and pay attention. That’s where better comes from. And then time passed.

I might get to that last name in 2018. People wait patiently. And one by one I’ve been getting nearer to the end. It’s not literally an end. Think inexact science. There’s a separate folder with orders from folks who weren’t ready, who told me to skip them, or who asked to be placed on that last page in the book. I suppose some day they’ll make a decision. I’m looking at the last page now. Alas.

And oh – more later.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrapping

I can’t lay claim to inventing wrap, or even being there in the early days when it was raw, and the stuff of the disenfranchised. Nor do I adhere to any of its conventions. But I do embrace it. And try to put my own DNA in it. Every day is practice. You order, I wrap. It’s a life’s work.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Decorating

I started drawing bicycles with my name on them in 1969 as a diversion to the life I led as a Peddle School student. My first real bicycle was an Atala. A year later I had a Frejus. The models and components don’t matter. I was hooked. Not hooked as in I wanted to enter industry; that never occurred to me. I was a student. My role was to matriculate and leave one campus for another. Things don’t always line up so that roles can be filled.

By the time I left school I was taking Bicycling (still a Leete Publication based in San Francisco). Australian Cyclist, a magazine that often arrived four months after its cover date. And International Cycle Sport from the UK. Despite my inclinations to pursue a writer’s life, I was intrigued by nice bicycles. More importantly, the sport got deep into my veins. That people used such elegant machines to race on made me so wet and sticky that no amount of paper towels could clean up the mess.

When I found myself needing to place my name on a bicycle, there was one standard: it had to be in yellow with a black borderline. That’s how real men decorated. And real men according to my opinion were the fellows in Italy whose names appeared on the frames of every hero (of mine). Sure, I followed the work of those based in England. I knew everything there was to know about French bicycles. And Dutch. Belgian. And bicycles from Denmark and Sweden too. But my own would be made in the mode of those Italians who ruled the roost.

The seraph outline was chosen from a book a pal loaned me. It served me well from the early 1970s to almost the end of the century. Honestly, once it was on my down tubes, I hated it. But I looked the other way for the first two decades. The letters were yellow, and had that borderline. Little else really mattered.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make Scents

“She traded the north of England for Paris to study under the late perfumer Monique Schlienger in her early 20s, before heading to Grasse, the epicenter of scent, where she spent five years at the prestigious French fragrance manufacturer Robertet.”
    The epicenter of scent. That phrase came gift wrapped and delivered to me last Sunday. The NYT had piece on Lyn Harris, a perfumer from Great Britain. Being the elitist I am, I consumed the article. I want to know this person. Her path. To take her experience and commitment and roll it into my own.

The Y2K era doesn’t have a franchise on people looking for a shortcut. But we sure hear much about the undertrained and those who’ll take a course, or download an app, and start writing orders. Folks seem less curious about the materials they touch, or its history. They just wanna grab a tool and start swinging.

I get it. Different times. My admiration goes to those who do full immersion. The intense study. The respect for the long game.

The epicenter. One place. All the information, there to be passed on. But only to those with a hunger. Or who are ready for it. You can’t go around it. Only through it.

We’ll all leave a mark somewhere. Some marks will be easier to see, or last longer, or both. Others won’t.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least one name is conspicuously absent...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha that is funny.
    And Vignelli was a Helvetica cat iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    At least one name is conspicuously absent...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a 5-6 month project with more than a decade spent in the thinking about what's next stage.
    My website, revised from the inside out.

Richard Sachs dot com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ease

Ben Hewitt wrote a feature article for Men’s Journal called The Rebel King of Custom Bikes. I worked with Ben before and felt comfortable during the interview. Having answered many questions through the years, I’ve developed a sense regarding the process. From the moment we sat down in my studio and the notepad came out, I gave myself over to Ben. Complete trust.

At a later date, the magazine sent a shooter to get images. That’s an entirely separate process. In many instances, the photographers know little and sometimes nothing about the storyline, much less about me – or even bicycles. Their assignment is to capture me in my working environment.

I remember Sasha Maslov as though we met yesterday. As with Ben, I was at ease. A subject finds comfort when the contractor is skilled. Is pro. Knows instinctively what he should see through the lens. Mr. Maslov came to my personal space and made me feel at ease. The results, his pictures for the story, are delicious.

By some fluke of internet fu, I recently heard that one of the shots was in Portrait Assignment, Sasha Maslov’s book. Me. Lil’ Richie from the old neighborhood. The Yeshiva bucher. My face next to Ken Burns, Reese Witherspoon, the Olsen Twins, Tom Ford, Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, and (fewer than) twenty others. I reached out and Mr. Maslov sent a copy. Two.

It may be a small thing. It may not be a thing at all. But the energy that began during the exploratory call from Ben Hewitt, and ran through the timeline of making a story that people could read in a mainstream magazine – it thrills me. Thank you to all who were part of this.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Words

I wrote this in 1970. In one of the journals I kept at The Peddie School. Adolescent kids need to find themselves. And drawing a line around their personal space is one way. A start.

Regarding the words, I believe we write our own narratives. We create ourselves. We recreate ourselves until we don’t. Then it’s lights out. That I thought this as a 16 year old never made me wince. And you know me. It doesn’t make me wince as a 65 year old either.

There are two dots. And one line connects them both. Stories told. A life lived. Still.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Guy

This was fun. The Bike Guy birthday ride. Bike Guy is Bill Humphreys, a friend I’ve had since 1972. We met when I was working at The Ski Rack in Burlington. Bill rolled in from the north. Just like that woman in Chocolat. He was on a final leg cycling cross country from San Diego to his family home in Connecticut. Sidelined with a mechanical, Bike Guy found the little shop we were hiding in. And just like the character in the film, he stayed longer than expected AND had a lasting influence on us. That’s Bill’s way.

That friendship and influence have caught many in its net through the decades. Only a handful are shown here. Many more are standing there in spirit.

Bill collects us annually to do as many miles as he’s been alive. Er – but we do kilometers now. And when we’re done, we go back to his house, some folks jump in his lake and splash around, and then we eat and tell stories.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, I am new to the forum. My neighbor is elderly and bought a Richard Sachs bicycle in the 70's. He can't ride it anymore, and is ready to pass it on to someone else. I was wondering if I could get help identifying the model/type and history of the bike. Also a rough idea of the value. It appears the serial number is: 5675.

Here are some pics: Dropbox - Bike Pics - Simplify your life

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made in 1980 for Toga Bike Shop for a client of theirs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyclocross Is Family™

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)