User Tag List

Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 777879808182838485868788 LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 1757

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    Did the police deliberate enforce a separation of the two groups?

I haven't read any of the other local reporting yet, but I'll be interested if other MFOL events had similar opposition groups in attendance.
    The event was held at a commercial space with a large private parking area. The business owner has hosted a 1-2 hour get-together every Saturday since Trump won. It was all above board, permits etcetera. There were police there, mainly to keep the traffic flowing at this three corner intersection. Said losers were across the street on what is probably town land. No one from the gathering gave any outward energy to them. No words hurled. No one crossed over to talk with them. Nothing at all from "us" was directed to or at "them".

Sacratomato, California..the capital city
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had one here in teh Big Tomato, because it's the state capitol of California.
    There was a pretty good crowd, because a local guy got shot and killed dead down in South Sac last week, and it's been in the news

The only questionable counter demonstrator I saw was some guy on top of his car, preaching to the crowd about how Jesus was the answer.
    When the crowd started kinda chanting back, he responded with some stuff from Revelations, and how the only righteous would be saved.

It was strange, but not really in the same category of strange as the people who showed up for yours.

I was gonna stop and trade scriptural references with him (I love Revelations, with all that whore of Babylon stuff), but my wife,
    who is the smarter of the two of us, grabbed me by the pocket and pulled me back into the march.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am Ready

It’s different this year so far. I did my time off the bicycle and was getting itchy but not so itchy that I was ready to start 2018. For someone whose entire life in cycling is inseparable from the sport and pinning on numbers, riding is tied to training. Even when you get back on after a layoff, and body parts have gone soft or atrophied, and you’re heavier than you once were, and it’s too cold to even think about tan lines – even still, each ride is a contributor to that elusive fitness your ego craves.

But I wasn’t ready when I was ready.

So I took a different path.

I’ve been riding in my street clothes. My man clothes. The clothes I work in. And when that time of the day says it’s time, I simply grab my winter jacket (from Uniqlo) and change into my Chucks (low cut, and in a hard to get orange color for those trying to imagine), and find a wool hat and some gloves set aside for snow shoveling, and I go. My rides are all while wearing normal outfits that one might be seen in doing a quick errand. No cleats. No helmet. No kits. No sleek sexy Euro chic affected attitude. Just a dude riding around the neighborhood having a good time. Having a really good time.

I’ve been doing 80-90 minutes a day like this and having a good time. A really good time.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post

So I took a different path.

I’ve been doing 80-90 minutes a day like this and having a good time. A really good time.

I need to do this. Got hurt, burnt out, look at all the expensive techwear and find myself thinking..."Jesus, I just want to ride a bike without stepping into a phonebooth."
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
    I need to do this. Got hurt, burnt out, look at all the expensive techwear and find myself thinking..."Jesus, I just want to ride a bike without stepping into a phonebooth."
    I'm almost on three straight weeks riding a good 40-50 kms a day in man clothes.

Do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got done reading Grant's admonishments on this topic in his book, Just Ride.

Its the perfect time of year to go out for a ride in jeans and a sweater.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Framebuilding Light ©™®

When you explain things you rob them of their mystery.
    Questions are far more interesting than answers.
    ~ from California Typewriter

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T.G.I.T.

Yesterday didn’t go well at all. It didn’t go. As I’ve grown accustomed to over the decades and many 10,000 hour stints at the bench, sometimes metal doesn’t want to become a bicycle. Won’t become a bicycle. No matter how many tricks or backup plans you summon up. Experiential gyrations don’t work. Won’t work. Calling the metal names is futile. Acceptance is the only antidote.

Ya I had one get away on Monday. Two days worth of labor jettisoned. The conversation ended with the material having the last word. It was like Stranger Things. Only that the torch I was holding was taken from me and the heat source, the lovely green conical flame, and all my will to lure molten silver alloy rod to here and there – it went sideways. Body English epic fail. Body English as a second language.

I rue these times but accept them as part of the whole. And as I’ve done so many other days like Monday, I walk away and then return. And when I do, the dance goes like this: I Knoll the ever loving shit outa’ my workspace. Clutter gets vaporized. The floor swept. All windows washed (both sides). And all brazing tools replaced. Ordered new hoses, new tips, a new gas regulator. Cheap insurance. My way. And then I start over again. Again.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Guys

Let me tell you about my files. Forget about the ones with heft, those above the 6″ rattail types all the way up to 14″ half-round bastard cuts. I mean these. The saviors. The heroes I lean on to make me look good. They enable my work to exhibit a degree of refinement. I know it looks easy when I paste in the heavily edited and carefully chosen images of metal sculpture. I grab these lil’ mofos and it all becomes real.

There’s very little I can screw up. Few if any holes I can fall in. And almost no zags I can’t instantly transform into zigs. As long as I have these.

When grasping for perfection gets the best of me, I buy new precision needle files. Sometimes they’re Bahco. This week they’re all Grobet. Swiss files, made in Italy. Barrette. Knife. Flat. Round. Warding. Triangle. Whatever. These fellas are my last line of defense in making a beautiful and tight frame more beautiful and tight. Imelda did shoes. I do files. All in the 6 1/4″ range. All 00 cut. That’s. Fucking. Sharp. Batman.

Each shape is right for a particular task in my bicycle making chores. Some square up the points on my dropouts. Some accentuate the edges on my reinforcement plates. There’s one that’s only used for seat lug slots. I have a group of these in graduated widths that create the slit on the outside of my fork crowns, And there’s a special batch set aside for making lug shorelines even more crisp than ever. After 45 years, I’m still waiting to try this file.

I love these little guys. Little men. The new recruits arrived yesterday and I’ll phase them in over the next week or two. The other batch, those in the second image – they’re from the January haul. I have a special place in the garden they’ll be placed. To live out their days with the thousands of others I’ve leaned on through the decades.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why

I work alone, by choice. I’ve mentioned the silence afforded me by hearing no voices but my own. That I don’t have to show anyone anything, nor tell them what to do. I talk about the solitary pursuit. That one tied to creating a standard and then trying to reach it. And then about how the line moves. And that the struggle is real, because of expectations, some actually laid at my feet. I mean, really.

The one-man thing is a man’s gift to himself. Only he can give it. And when he’s ready, only he can receive it gracefully. With no strings attached. I both gave it and received it in 1975. And I’ve been alone ever since. Well, except for that man I took on and trained in 1982. And that other man I did the same with and for in the early 1990s. Both left skilled and with their own labels. And I’ve been giving away as much of it as I could before and since.

But I need my space to be my space. No one else gets in. The silence is nourishment. The quiet gives me strength. More than anything, not having to engage anyone at all, on any level, in my working day, allows me the luxury of taking 90 images of this little fellow being a host to an unwanted guest, and then trying to delete 88 of them just so I can make this IG post. That’s why.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Thing

It may be the only thing here that’s never changed. Something that’s been on my bench since I began. A tool used to make every (single) unit bearing my name. And many that don’t, since I’ve been known to destroy a few. This axle. The skewer that goes through it. It’s the only piece of the puzzle that’s never been replaced, lost, reworked, upgraded. It’s a mid ’60s Campagnolo front hub axle with some cones seized in place. And a QR that I bent (curved) back in the early ’70s before they’d come that way. A relic. And inextricably tied to everything RS.

This bad boy serves a multitude of masters. It’s a go no-go check for my forks. I use it during dry fits to ensure blades are the correct length. When forks are done, I use it with a square as a way of checking that both blades are in plane. I have other tools. Sophisticated ones that weigh a lot and cost serious coin. But this lil’ gem is part of the process. The process. One that dates back to when we made things with no plug-in parts. And I mean the electronic ones rather than the IC components that came later. Ya there was a time when we (Peter, me, the people back in Deptford) made frames with no power tools at all. Dickensian Era etc etc. We made more units with less effort and everyone was happy. The future happened.

We have things. We should all have things. Things that if missing even for a moment we’d be lost. For me, life would stop if this axle wasn’t in plain view. Close enough to grab so I could check a fork dim. I wouldn’t even know where to find another.

PS The fork. That’s the thing that goes inside the head tube. Many know the head tube as part of that later day Y2K question, the one that goes, “How long is the head tube?” The fork slips inside of it and is often seen with a front wheel inserted. You can Google it.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Numbers From Numbers

Everything I do is measured. Distances accounted for. Design predictable. Somewhat. But where do numbers come from? Certainly not from the little box you’re reading this on. Numbers come from within. From experience. From within.

It took me a few years to get it. Because like any FNG starting from zero, my vocabulary was overrun with magazine speak. The angles do this. The bicycle is stiff. It should disappear from beneath you. And if it does, get a Kryptonite Lock (ed. note – they are no longer made).

I was an early adapter of ignoring the scribes, the road tests, the technical articles. These were conversations I couldn’t grasp. And written in language used more to sell than to inform. My mentorship was served listening to riders. Racers really. To stories told at the dinner table after an event. On the drives home. From coaches. Or anyone who arrived before I did. Or whoever pinned on a number.

Everything has to be someplace. And the miles let you know where hands should go. Or how high the saddle is set. Or where to place the wheels under and around someone with a particular shape. Morphology, if you wanna sound educated.

It’s simple after a while. And easy too. Have an open mind. Ride. Or ride lots. Or ride to win. Or just get the app.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flowers For Bobbe

I made these from thin slices of Reynolds 531 fork blades surrounding an off-cut from whatever seat stays were available. They’re all brass brazed to make the petals. Then I’d lay in a spoke (probably a Stella or a Robergal) and create the stem. Finally all are brazed to the stand, a scrap that was on my bench. If memory serves, I bent the sides at right angles to create a pedestal look.

This was a gift to my mom in 1973. She had it in our living room in Bayonne for decades. Then when she moved to the Jersey Shore, they found a place in her apartment kitchen. Until November. When she died, many of Bobbe’s things became mine.

I am at a loss for words. Things aren’t a substitute for people. I’d rather my mom were here. But I’m coming to grips with that she isn’t. That she won’t be. Through her possessions, the flowers among them, my mom, her memory, even her scent – these live on. Love is always. That is all.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stationery Without Borders ®™©

Equally at home as a thank you note, a card for that special someone or that special occasion, or simply for sending an invoice. The high balance due always looks nicer when sent with élan (a 20 dollar word meaning energy, style, and enthusiasm.)

Anyone who’s ordered from me will recognize the identity program shown in the image. It’s a thing. But it’s my thing.

Make being in touch great again. Use paper. And a writing tool. Grab a stamp. Maybe some confetti. Then just fucking send it.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard_

The twizzlers are incredible and a nice touch!

Enjoy the day,

KJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being Jersey

I dwell on the past just often enough to not lose myself in it. My two years at Bayonne High School were formative ones. I fell into a crowd several years older than me – but I still thought of them as peers. Ronnie, Dave D, Eric, James P, Lester, Jimmy. Others I could name. I still have the uniform, this frat jacket. Still fits. In almost perfect condition. I have my pledge book too. The fraternity was a thread than ran through us. Connected us. If only for a brief moment.

Phi Sigma Pi’s origins were never clear to me. By the time I arrived it was equal parts gang, Cool Kids’ Club, secret society, a holding tank for likeminded inner city cats. Most importantly, it was a net that caught maybe at most 12 or 13 guys and allowed a bond to form. A code. An alliance. Everlasting trust. Weekly meetings at Massa’s Bar & Grill reinforced this. To this day, these traits are embedded.

My memory regarding what we actually did has eroded. But Saturdays were important. Wearing our brown and tan colors, we’d meet on Broadway and 23rd and spend hours hanging out in front of A.S. Beck’s. Maybe a sojourn or two over to the lunch counter at Woolworth’s. And often on weekends, end up at the dances at St. Andrews or Holy Family Academy or even the Jewish Community Center. And of course, most dates ended up in a booth at The Bayonne Diner on 8th Street.

Why do we save what we save? Remember what we do? The further I get from some things in my life, the more powerful they become. But just some things.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you figure it out don't keep that knowledge to yourself.

One of my "things" is a '78 RS frame that will most likely never be ridden again.

But parting with it would be akin to moving favorable memories somewhere less accessible.

So it remains and occupies a physical space but is certainly not about the physical thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deconstructing Precious

I began using IC parts in the mid 1970s. Somewhat reluctantly. But I used them just the same. They soon became part of my vocabulary rather than some new language I was forced to learn. As a new maker, I resisted the transition, believing something precious was being given up by taking tasks performed by man and using technology to make the labor redundant. Young people, as well as romantic people, and ignorant people too – they use words like soul, and organic. Grabbing an IC component doesn’t preclude these from being part of the process.

By 2002 I had my own pieces, adding a new one or four every few years. The well was already dry and I needed to ensure my own working days could be fulfilled, and also wanted to put material back into the marketplace and fill that void created around the time the Cold War ended when industry began to eschew traditional methods.

It’s an ever moving line we chase and try to cross in the making of fine bicycles. An IC part, even the precise and elegant ones I design and make, is just a starting point for that perfect frame. A place to leap forward from. Everything still needs to be touched. My days are filled with as much touch as ever.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because Spray Mount ™ Is Forever

Make it look good. Check.

Use adjectives sparingly. Check.

Have an elegant graphic. Check.

Lowest possible word count. Check.

Compare and contrast. Check.

Use “counterpart” in a sentence. Check.

Mention touring too. Check.

Use brochure for revenue stream. Check.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ABK

I knolled heavily in anticipation of a visit from friends who hadn’t yet been to Deep River. TLD and I were ready, and the workspace was dialed. But alas, the weather was so bad that I suggested rescheduling rather than driving in such icky conditions and so late in the the day. I will knoll again, hopefully soon, and anticipate once more.

All This By Hand