Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 7677787980818283848586
Results 1,701 to 1,707 of 1707

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

Behind The Curtain

A rare peek into the fork department. Forks are overlooked now and have been for a spell. I知 used to this. I accept it. People willingly give others the work they themselves once did. Where does my front wheel go? Dunno. How will the front wheel be held in my frame? Dunno. Will the offset and span be close enough? We値l have to see. Oh right maybe I値l design my design around the aftermarket part designed by committee. Dunno. When you lose resources and or stop carrying out tasks and enough time passes one can get used to anything and rationalize the changes by summoning up that nothing stands still. I知 not there but I知 almost there but not yet not today. What痴 your fork痴 SKU?

Post Thanks / Like

Moving Metal

There’s a moment in every 3-4 day build when the fab part is put on hold and the decoration party begins. Filing lugs is part of the maker’s job. It probably goes back to an era when I was still a schoolboy and the parts were God awful crude pieces of shit that existed as little fixtures that held the tubes in place so a bicycle could be made. They were ugly or utilitarian at best and it got into he public psyche that adding flourishes or at the very least removing some of the manufacturing marks was a way to add value. I spend an hour on each joint for the very same reasons and do it automatically. Intuitively. By feel. While listening to pre-1970s Dylan on YouTube. I have this feed that begins with With God On Our Side performed at Town Hall in 1963 and it just goes on from there. Precious. At least 50 cuts and I never tire of them.

Back to said moment. All of it revolves around elegance. You want the lug(s) thinned a bit. Eliminate high and low spots. Make sure the flow is complete from top to bottom from side to side from front to back and that the same intention spreads to each lug so the job is the sum rather than the parts. At day’s end, this is about taking off some 3/10s of a millimeter wall thickness and doing it with class. You wanna turn heads, your own especially.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like

Finish Work

So I’m at a place where I’m gonna admit that not finishing things is really the best part of the job. The end is a place I don’t care much about even though I get there every 3-4 days. I wanna stay in that space where almost done is as close as I get before somehow some way something distracts me and so fucking what. To stay suspended in those last moments feeling I have a chance but knowing something will get in the way if I stay a minute longer. I wanna leave things unfinished and then go on to start again.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like

Redemption Song

I’ve had few line in the sand moments in my life (so far), those that others call a-ha times. Counting maybe eight or so. One was while 24,000 feet in the air gazing at an in flight magazine. Maybe early 1990s. Maybe late 1980s. I don’t remember. But it was me in typical RS questionable low self-esteem fashion, always in a state of questioning my lot in life, contrasting what I thought I should know by now (then) and what I assumed others thought I knew (by then) with what I knew I really knew (then). I expected to be a lot further along despite that so much came so easily and the market accepted what I did and placed it in a decent, comfortable layer that I wondered if I deserved. I’m reading this ‘zine, remember the ‘zine? I’m a bad reader in the best situation and a really bad reader if my hand is on the bible. I’m a scanner. I find words. Sentences find me. If I’m lucky I mean really lucky a page, or maybe an entire article will find me. The story was about an artist and, whenever I remember this flight the artist becomes Louise Bourgeois, the sculptor. Buried in her story was a quote that went something like this: “I continue with my work to redeem myself for all my past mistakes.” The further I get from that airplane ride, the less accurately I recall the story or even if Ms. Bourgeois was the person being highlighted. I think these were the words and they were hers.

That quote, that sentiment, it became a hook I’ve hung my hat on for decades now. The moment came when I needed it most, as the ones that matter that really matter seem to do.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like

Just This

I want the essence and nothing more. Having more means having to take some away. To remove it so there’s less. Not really less. But just the right amount. The exact amount. Exact maybe can’t be measured. But it can be seen. Those who know, know. Even if there are just two of us. If only two of us know, that’s more than enough.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like

There Is

So the worst part of working in a bubble is the best part. So the demons that come with standing alone at a bench are the gift. So being the last word on whatever happens is also that no one else is heard. There’s the entropy and the beauty. There’s the imprecision and the delicate balancing act. The smoke and also the mirror. There’s the trying. There’s also the failure. There’s also the trying.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like

But Who’s Counting

10,000 files strokes are just a down payment.
    After that, you still have to make the thing.
    There was a time when every part, even the smallest, demanded attention.
    Then the future happened.
    I’m glad I was born in the past.

All This By Hand