Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 767778798081828384858687 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 1737

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

Richard, Have you looked into the future and drawn a line in the sand and chiselled in a date to call it quits or is it a day by day prospect?
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by progetto View Post
    Richard, Have you looked into the future and drawn a line in the sand and chiselled in a date to call it quits or is it a day by day prospect?
    No not at all.
    Finish current list then hit reset button.

Post Thanks / Like

In Sync

Here’s a random shot culling from Monday. For the frame I started Sunday. Every day I learn something new. Today it’s that taking 400 images and selecting only ten is harder than making a bicycle. I also learned that capturing the work I do at the bench stores energy I wasn’t aware existed. My research tells me that for every six pictures taken, my Nikon will live the equivalent of one week longer in the future than had I left it on the table unattended, So my research tells me that the work I did (the aforementioned 400 images) will drive my camera’s shelf life roughly sixty six days into the future. It’s like planing, but for photography. I’m in sync with my D7200. Quel dommage. That’s French for “what cheese“. Kinda’.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like

Next One

I finished this one Tuesday but got bored with the Nikon so will only post one. And a bonus image. (Cardinal Egan: “Which doesn’t belong and why?”) The rest, if I get motivated, will go up tomorrow. The thing about making things is that, if you make them long enough they begin to run into each other. To overlap. The last three start reminding you of the last nine. But your head is always on the next two. Or that gem you’re getting ready to throw into the science oven in March when you’re head’s cleared and you’re 200% centered. But and everyone has a big but – you still have the daily suffer. The one on your bench that’s 9/10ths done and you really need to nail it shut because you know the client is following your every 1s and 0s move. So you do – you do finish it. You box it up. Call @bikeflights. Let JB know what color it’s gonna be. Give him the serial number. And start thinking about the next client and what’s needed for his three days of your life’s work.​​

I’m almost finished too with my list. I expect to nail that one shut by early 2019. If I stay hungry. And motivated. And then, after all these years, I can fully dissemble the machinery, deconstruct the operating system, take four days off, maybe a full week, spend some time at the electric beach, get some color and work on the tan lines, and get ready to hit the reset button. That. Will. Be. So. Swell.

All This By Hand

7, February 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I’m almost finished too with my list. I expect to nail that one shut by early 2019. If I stay hungry. And motivated. And then, after all these years, I can fully dissemble the machinery, deconstruct the operating system, take four days off, maybe a full week, spend some time at the electric beach, get some color and work on the tan lines, and get ready to hit the reset button. That. Will. Be. So. Swell.

All This By Hand
    Good for you Richard and congrats on such a long and successful "career". How do see life after reset ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Good for you Richard and congrats on such a long and successful "career". How do see life after reset ?
    Making bicycles.

Post Thanks / Like

Lil’ Pepper

Next up a mini-version of what I do at the bench. It’ll be a lot smaller than the picture suggests. A 49cm frame for someone needing a 66cm saddle height dimension. All the measurements will be scaled down to make this work. The top tube 52cm. A reach from a 28cm length saddle nose the ‘bars in the 50cm range. So far we’re up to 196cm and I haven’t even thought about the fork. But I will. The head tube on this one is 1.5cm taller than it would be with a horizontal top tube. I lifted it because I didn’t want it to get confused with a salt shaker. Anyway – I’m gonna make this look absolutely puss and the client will be Łber happy (that’s German for immeasurably satisfied). If you’ve read this far and wondered about the frame in the last 2-3 posts, it’s on a FedEx truck on its way to JB’s. I’ve already forgotten about it. All that matters now is the wee one on my bench. I’ll get it into the science oven by late Thursday.

All This By Hand

9, February 2018

Post Thanks / Like

If youíve read this far and wondered about the frame in the last 2-3 posts, itís on a FedEx truck on its way to JBís. Iíve already forgotten about it.
    Howdy, Friend! My name is Jasper Mason.

Post Thanks / Like

...Next up a mini-version of what I do at the bench. Itíll be a lot smaller than the picture suggests. A 49cm frame for someone needing a 66cm saddle height dimension. All the measurements will be scaled down to make this work. The top tube 52cm. A reach from a 28cm length saddle nose the Ďbars in the 50cm range. So far weíre up to 196cm and I havenít even thought about the fork. But I will. The head tube on this one is 1.5cm taller than it would be with a horizontal top tube. I lifted it because I didnít want it to get confused with a salt shaker....
    This means that hope is still alive. If the list ever opens again, I might get that 50x53, 68cm saddle height, and headtube extension frame that would fit my abnormal proportions (assuming that is what I am told I need).

Post Thanks / Like

Last Steps

The last thing I do before a frame is entered into the RS census book – that step is decorating the seat lug area. By the time I arrive here, every other assembly procedure, task, quality assurance check, and related correspondence with the client has been put to bed. I’m now twenty minutes from done-dom. There are several pins to knock off and burnish down. The entry port for the seat post has to look good. And sharp. And all RS-y and shit. And the last part of the final section of the last and final thing I do is to whale on the seat stay plugs so that they look better than they did for the previous two plus days. There’s the shape and the radii and the curve and the symmetry, and all of it has to look swell from above and from the rear. The side views matter less because it’s not easy to sight one and then quickly sight the other to see if they look alike. Data point: They. Never. Do. I stopped trying, or caring about this when Bush One was in office. Oh heck maybe a lot further back than that. Probably when Marshall Crenshaw was still hot. Thing is, when I get to this area, these details, my head is miles (that’s American for kilometers) away from the work I’m finishing and already two hours or more into whatever I’m planning next. But I do have to eke out some beauty some elegance so that JB has a target to hit when he loads the paint. But to say I sweat matching the rights and lefts would be a lie. I try. Muscle memory drives this bus. I try. But not that hard.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like

In The Shadows

Finished this ‘lil one yesterday before sunset. The shadow is telling. My studio space gives good shadow atmo. This gem is 48cm by 50cm with a 12cm setback. The head tube is 1cm taller at the top because I didn’t feel like wrestling with the parts and turning the area into a salt shaker. Wait. I already used that line two days ago. Eagle eyes will notice the PegoRichie Ne Plus Ultra™©ģ chain stays, made specifically for each frame on demand when and where needed (?). This allows, for example, the RS Piccoli Gioielli 64 degree dropouts to play nicely in a space that’s actually 66 degrees. Always thinking. Always thinking.

All This By Hand

13, February 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Switch

I started the next commission before the ink on that last one was dry. It’s been a long while since I’ve worked so much and been as productive. Feels good. This one is a 61cm road frame. Nothing out of the ordinary. Except in contrast to the last five, it’s for someone whose taller than 6′. Frames of a certain size range seem to go together easier and also build themselves. I’ve felt that way since 1973. Before that, I didn’t have a clue since I was still looking for any crumbs left from the wisdom of others. Those first several years were about watching American Bandstand and wondering what parts I gotta shake to look that cool when the music played. I gotta tell ya’ – the rhythm thing is an acquired taste. Maybe it’s a feel. But when it finally comes, you hear the sound more crisply and react in ways that should be banned. Making things is like that. You wanna make, but you don’t know. So you watch and watch and try to find that inner switch that works the osmosis machinery. I thought I found mine early. But was only fooling myself. And others. In the recent weeks it’s come back in spades. The switch is flicked on.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like

My Leftist Life

I was in Boulder in ’79 working for Shimano. They sent the men’s team to the Red Zinger and I was the head mechanic. We had a day off and me and Gromek – he was the manager – we were at the mall and I stopped at a jewelry store to get a chain for my mezuzah. The sign on the door says “Free ear piercing.” John sees me going in and teases. “Ha you’re gonna get your ear pierced?” I answered ya, kinda’ sorta’ to see his reaction. “I always wanted to get mine pierced“, he says. So we both man up, get stapled, and split the cost of the pair of earrings. And I bought a chain.

Since then I’ve continually tossed more metal into my left lobe. I may have lost a couple. But I’ve made up for it too. Until this morning, I couldn’t tell you how many hoops dangled. Now I can. Inventory taken. One hole. This many rings. All performing at once. Film at six. Too much information atmo.

Post Thanks / Like

Twice Weekly

Thereís less than a moment between finishing a near perfect on every count 57cm road frame for an as yet unknown client, then spending a few seconds admiring my work, transcribing the dims into the RS Lifetime Hall of Records Book No.18, and then doing what Iíve done since Day One when an assembly is finished: I completely clean and organize my work surfaces, use the whisk broom to drive all the metal filings and tube offcuts to the floor, sweep up, and get ready to start over.

For a maker, starting over is that chance youíre gifted, that chance to improve, to get it right Ė and the ďitĒ is different for all of us. And for each of us itís different every time. But that moment is real. You finished one. Pause. Reflect, if thatís your thing. And walk back up to the bench and get ready for more. After 45 years of this, itís still the best part of the job. Redemption. Hope. Redemption and hope commingled. I love it. Itís the only time in all of making when things are perfect. That next commission is nothing but an idea. Some numbers scribbled next to a name. With hope, you actually remember the name, and the guy whose name it is. Because heís been waiting for the moment too. Just in a different way. That moment of perfection becomes conceptual at best. Because soon youíll grab some wrenches, a file or four, the tubing and parts youíll need for the next several days. And in a heartbeat, a dream gradually declines into disorder.

The makerís job is to arrange disorder. Twice a week. For life.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like

Lesson

I forgot about this guy. Pity the poor Richie-Issimo lug and PegoRichie pipes so elegantly joined and ready to become a bicycle frame. But that was late Monday afternoon before the week went sideways. I’ll nail this order shut by noon Sunday just in time to hear the Not The Jonathan Schwartz Program on WNYC. For the last several days I haven’t done much that isn’t related to my new built-in wall units, the ones with the self-closing doors. They’re stunning. And after so much effort spent obsessing about the design, the arrival and installation, and – the hardest part – what to place on each of the shelves, after so much effort obsessing, I see daylight. I don’t see much sun. But we do have a daylight siting.

I love my studio space. I continue to look at all of it as one big art project. Having rolled through too many decades and maybe a half dozen spaces, this one feels like a keeper. I don’t learn many lessons, and the few I do learn I try to ignore as a way to seem detached and aloof – it comes naturally, though I do work on it – this week’s lesson is this: when the chaos ends, the heart no longer beats.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like

But It Is

Walking a lot. ĎWill start riding soon. Reflecting on loss again; thinking of it as gain. And on the value of experience. Experiences, really. Iíve thrown myself back into work, in some ways because people are waiting. But mostly because itís what I do. Iím a maker. With enough distractions Ė anything at all that removes me from the bench Ė and I donít have much to say. I can say it with metal and tools. And in the past year or more since weíre been back, Iíve tried to, no Ė I have deconstructed my routine so I could maybe just maybe drive it forward. Each process. The file strokes. My torch settings. Even the volume of flux I use. Everything is being stripped down. Or away. Paying more attention. Closer attention.

And of experience. Of experiences. Iím rethinking. Sometimes. But maybe not every time. Maybe all those hours and years are not a positive. The repetition. The honing of skills. The getting used to things so that Ė et voilŗ Ė intuition suddenly happens. Maybe they get in the way. Maybe all that happens is that youíve done more. Made more. Seen more.

Iíve been thinking too much. Thatís fine. And that maybe. Maybe. The first time. That first moment before youíve had too many. Too many that will somehow dilute the lot of them. That first one is the one. The precious one. The one thatís so perfect that all others are measured by it rather than any other way. That first one is the best. And then the tension follows.

This isnít about bicycles. But it is. Itís not about life. But it is. Thereís a moment when you just donít know but you try anyway. And that gift you get when you stand back. That wonderment. How to bottle it. To make it happen a second time, and a tenth time too. Iím thinking about that. A lot.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like

Walking

I havenít ridden since the 10th of January, that fateful day in Reno. Maybe Iíll start again after the weekend. In its place, Iíve been walking a good 90 minutes daily. Thatís always been my off season activity. We live near the tracks so making a left out of the driveway and then hitting the rails after a 30 second hoof takes me to a private room in which I can either plan my next move of global branding domination or simply detach and look at the Connecticut River in all its glory. Most times I opt for the latter. And when I donít, I still try to take things in an unserious way. Iíve found that as years pass, and most of them having been lived, itís easy putting one foot in front of the other, and repeating the motion, and then repeating it again, and then Ė and then start wondering where I fit into the bigger picture. Taking stock. I dunno. Looking for affirmation. Maybe. My experiences with quiet time, especially the moments earmarked as exercise, these are when I look inside the most. And after about 91 minutes I return to Earth and work with metal. Thatís why they pay me the big bucks.

All This By Hand

Sacratomato, California..the capital city
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought you might enjoy seeing this one. It's old.
    I bought it from a guy who raced it here, who bought it from a guy who raced it somewhere else.

I don't race it. I'm old. I ride it some here, though.

Richard Sachs (finished) 002.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Nice old one with the iconic Behringer I.C. fork crown distributed (then) by Mike Royce of Arnold Industries. Probably 1976 vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    Thought you might enjoy seeing this one. It's old.
    I bought it from a guy who raced it here, who bought it from a guy who raced it somewhere else.

I don't race it. I'm old. I ride it some here, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Small

Leona Helmsley once said, ďWe donít pay taxes; only the little people pay taxes.Ē She probably wished no mics were near. And Randy Newman sang, ďShort people got no reason to live.Ē Both may have been on to something. Better to ask them. Here, at my bench, the vertically challenged seemed to have all ordered up at the same time ?? years ago. As I reach the end of my queue Iím seeing that 3 of every 4 commissions is for a cat or kitten whoís barely five foot nothing. This 50cm unit Iím working on now will end up okay, but some of the intermediate steps taken to get it to this level of completion remind me of that saw, the one that goes, ďSome sets of tubing just do NOT want to become a bicycle frame.Ē I had to use all my powers, and all my skills as a mortician to ensure this oneís mother never sees what I did to her boy. Fade to black.

All This By Hand