Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 757677787980818283848586 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1711

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

Unearthed

On some levels IG is a foreign language to me because I don’t know who sees what or how deep folks go into the images already stored. But I’ve been posting the transparencies recently unearthed here at Ground Zero in the 06417. Many are 4 X 5 sizes and come with a story or at least an observation. Just today I found several hundred color positives taken by Michael Furman from Philadelphia. They all show a 20th Anniversary Frame I made in the 1991 period. I added some text to one about a week ago if you’re interested in the backstory. Now I’ll begin pasting in detail shots. Luscious is the only word that comes to mind when describing Michael’s camera work. If anything is NSFW, his photographs fit that acronym perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

Q & A

Peter Brentlinger took the original photograph and I took this one. It’s from 1996, or maybe a year before. We shot a series for a printed piece that this became part of. This image was selected for the cover and had some type laced over it. It read, “Why buy a frame from a one-man shop still using tradtional hand-building methods?” The answer was inside the brochure and simple. Because technology alone is a poor substitute for experience. I first used these words in 1990 for an ad placed in Velo-News’ 20th Anniversary issue. On many levels they’re more germane today than ever before.

Post Thanks / Like

Challenge

This is a 4 X 5 transparency shot by Bruno in the late 1990s. It was used as a glam image to accompany a 9,000 word article in Cigar Aficionado about the handmade niche. To my mind, and I felt similarly at the time, the assembled bicycle represents as far as I could take my work in what was already a decidedly nonferrous era. Components were still mostly silver and alloy at that. Though up to date parts-wise, this one is 4.1 on the meh scale according to my opinion. A 5.0 would be completely meh. What I needed, what I looked forward to, was to be able to deliver bicycles that didn’t look like vestiges from the 1980s, Ya I just said that. Me, a maker who uses steel and brazes pipes together with lugs. And also makes his own forks. Twenty years have passed and I’m even more resolute. The challenge is to fabricate frames to the best of my ability, to optimize the material, to take my skills as a joiner and craftsman as far as I can, but still be able to look at the bicycle when it’s complete and believe the challenge has been met. Up until a year or three ago I was still content. Now, I think most components look like crap and belong only on manufactured frames that are sold on the street corner. That’d be several subway stops from the one I stand on today.

Post Thanks / Like

Confluence

A 1991 detail shot by Michael Furman. For the RS 20th Anniversary Frame I brought back some materials long since mothballed as I transitioned over to the IC era in the early 1980s. The Nervex Ref 32 lugs. The playing card suit fork liners. These pantographed dropouts too. The reliefs show the pattern I milled into the raised area. But the rest was typical hand-work of the day. I kept using and filing forged dropouts until 2008 when I introduced my Piccolo Gioiello designs. I reckon I must have brazed and filed well over 25,000 dropouts until that fateful day that my work was cloned using the casting process.

Look at this photograph of a color transparency. No amount of staring will speak to the patience, skill, and vigilance it took to get every curve, edge, line, radius, point, and all other dimensions so perfect. It’s a balancing act of optimum fit, excellent brazing, and fastidious filing. By me. Through all the years and changes, I was always supremely confident and beyond proud that I could produce this level of work. By the time this picture was taken, my dropout confluences all looked this way regardless of frame model.

Had horizontal dropouts not been made completely redundant by Y2K I might have not pursued the vertical shapes I use now. But alas, the future happened and another piece of the puzzle became something I once did when I was younger, more interested, and the trade less watered down. One day in the not so distant future, all bicycles will come from just four sources. But until then, I’ll keep going to the bench each morning and find a way to bleed for my art.

Post Thanks / Like

Making

Iím not making bicycles, Iím making decisions. Making choices. Hundreds of small roads to go down in the three days between looking at a piece of paper, grabbing a mental image of what I want, and then accepting all of it. The accepting is part of the making too. The idea of it is the beauty, the craft. Itís what I do. I stare down the subassemblies which really are assemblies all on their own and try to reimagine them playing nicely with each other. Over three days Iíll feel like a campaign manager, a producer, a band leader, an editor, and even a publisher if all goes well. Iíll be Kissinger. And Auriemma. Maybe Wintour. Maybe Hammond. All these little creations have to be elegant. They have to work well. They have to sing.

Post Thanks / Like

Deliverance

Some of mine, What I like about them, what I miss, is the simplicity, the trust. The paper, ink, and text tell a complete story. How to find me. For the 38 years I lived in town, as long as my name was on the outside of something I’d get it. Didn’t need door numbers or streets. Mail arrived with nothing more than Richard Sachs and the zip code. The guys behind the counter knew, and all of it got dumped in Box 194. The combination was G and then C and then in the middle of the I and J.

I don’t think the system accepts so little information anymore. It’s gotta be formatted for the machine or whatever technology replaced the thinking. It probably wasn’t even thinking when Bib, Carm, Enza or the others grabbed an envelope and routed it. It was muscle memory. Or maybe just knowing all of us and never looking below the first line. Weird thing is there aren’t more people now, just different people. And they won’t know you like back then because the future happened.

We left the village in 2009 and recently came back to a place so near but also a world away. I haven’t had business cards since 1983. Or stationery for that matter. I’ll be tossing a hat back in that ring soon. A pal who works at Crane & Co. sent a samples kit. I’m ready to go back in time. The Slow Food movement but for bicycles.

Post Thanks / Like

Ran into Rich R at a booksigning for the new House book in NYC last week. We've got it all mapped out. Stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnsegal View Post
    Ran into Rich R at a booksigning for the new House book in NYC last week. We've got it all mapped out. Stay tuned.
    Make postage stamps great again atmo.

Post Thanks / Like

My Story

All makers will have a similar story. This is mine. No matter what I pick up. No matter which tube, what frame joint I’m assembling, or component I’m working on. Regardless of how far into the three days I am. On every bicycle I’ve ever made. When, and it’s always a matter of when. When the road turns and I realize I’m in the right spot and want to take it further. Or down the wrong path and need to find a way back, or out. It’s during these times, and they always come so it’s important recognize them as they look at you. These are the times that my collection of Bahco barrette needle files becomes my compass. My North Star. My safety net. If I can’t enhance what I do with these gems, or get myself to higher ground, I’m fucked.

Post Thanks / Like

My Job

By the late 1980s and as a maker with a decade and a half of standing around, ideas in mind, tools in hand, and thousands of chances to get it right – I began to think that there was no right to get. The higher plane that alluded me was a moving target. That my ability to summon up all my best skills and experiences and imbue one bicycle with all of it and I mean ALL of it was only a concept. At worst, it became a calling. One I can’t shake. In all the years since, I’ve still tried as hard as I’ve ever tried, but long ago accepted that it’s a partnership. There’s me. The metal. And the room I’m in.

The fascination I once had with perfection has lately become an interest in elegance. Defining it. Channeling it. Embracing it. I think about how to bring back the elegance because I don’t feel enough of it around in daily life. When I’m stopped in my tracks and pause, it’s often to notice something elegant. It’s what gets me out of my own self. A connection. That’s what’s missing atmo. Elegance will make me look up. It will make me appreciate, and covet. But mostly appreciate. And I think it happens at a slower speed.

Elegance should inspire. It will inspire. And being inspired isn’t part of my job. It is my job.

Post Thanks / Like

Twenty Seven Years

Being alone is something Iím used to. Itís the way my time passes, itís how work gets done, and how I find balance. But twenty seven years ago I broke routine, let others into my personal space, and was given this lasting gift. Itís the Bicycle Guide from June 1990 that was placed in Box 194. I turned the dial to G then to C and then between I and J. I grabbed the mail, and I plotzed.

Michael Furman and Christopher Koch produced the cover story. They came to town in winter and spent a long weekend at my studio. The two men observed. One shot images. One took notes. After two days of intense fussing, rearranging, and interviewing, they left. It was then I remember feeling a calm that only solitude can bring.

At no point in the early years did I feel a connection to the trade. I saw myself as an outlier who somehow slipped in through an open window Ė and stayed. Iíve met precious few in my business with whom I share ideals or even a vision for how to stand at the bench. Iíve made many friends, but the list of names I have a common bond with is very short. By 1990 I knew the industry was a place I didnít want to be.

In six pages, Michael and Christopher captured that sentiment perfectly. Almost three decades have passed and I still feel this way. I donít dwell on the time, but realize that Iíve spent most of whatís been allotted for me. Every so often Iíll read the article, look at the photographs, and hope that the ink on these pages hasnít dried.

Thank you Michael and Christopher.

Post Thanks / Like

Two tubes one lug -

Post Thanks / Like

Naming Names

Once a month I’d bundle 10 crowns and bridges, and send them to a place I’d never been and to a man I never met. Branford is 26 miles from my door and the Shaw family put RS logos in frame parts since 1976. That’s when I decided to become one of those whose marque appears on bicycles, highlighted in contrasting paint. Through a Yellow Pages search I found Cooney Engraving, told them what I wanted, and they said, “No problem.” For over 40 years it was no problem at all.

Two weeks ago I get an email from a lady introducing herself as Mrs. Shaw asking about a parcel with my name on it. She’s closing the place down asap. Arnie died suddenly, and it’s the end of the road for the family business. She has to return my last box and just needs an address.

There was this smooth routine since Carter was in office. Everything around us may change, but I could always depend on the Shaws to carve perfectly edged graphics in the pieces I sent. I don’t know if I ever said thanks, past the small note I stuck in each box along with payment. I don’t know if they ever saw one of my bicycles either in person or print to know the weight their labors carried. They were skilled craftsmen who did intermediate work so that mine could look a bit more elegant.

The folks at Cooney Engraving were a key part in my life as a maker. Anonymous, and unsung, until now. The last check, never cashed.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Diamonds are to be admired, Gold on the other hand is a real investment in your future.

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post

Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like

At The Bench

Iíve been pasting in images lately, all from Nickís book, Richard Sachs Bicycle Maker. He visited me many times over a twelve month period, capturing my work through his lens. Hereís one, pulled out of sequence. Itís my bench, most likely later in the morning or from the rest of the day, maybe an overtime shift on a weekend.

Deb and I spent eight years in the woods in, as I like to say, deep isolation. The pictures were all taken before we decided to leave, when we were still secluded and expected to be for duration. That was the plan going in, the ideal.

When we found the property it was like the world opened up for us. This was it. By the end, it was something else. Change happens all around us. But, back to me. I didnít foresee changes within. They just came. I look at all the black and white photographs of me, over one hundred pages of them, and donít remember that guy.

Post Thanks / Like

In The Beginning

My fascination with the macro lens began as innocently as so much else around here did. It was maybe 1998 and Brad loaned me his Sony Mavica so I could shoot pictures and sell some crap on this newfangled thing eBay on this newfangled thing the internet. I’d bought a parcel of goods from a fellow whose dad had a bicycle biz in the 1970s. My intention was to keep the good stuff and jettison the ballast for some recovery cash. The boxes loomed long enough that Brad convinced me to list them online.

I began shooting tabletop images of my work. The unit had exceptional close-up capabilities and I was intrigued and wanted to get closer and closer and. That’s how the needle got in my arm. I never cared about the long view. Pictures of complete bicycles did nothing for me. What I wanted, what I want even this week, is to be in the grains of the tubing. To idle time away in the scratches. To know what it’s like to surf a wave created by the flow of 56% silver alloy rod. A wave that I make happen, and control, and then accept when I see it looking back at me laughing. I control so precious little in the big picture. It’s probably why the little ones mean so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Part Of The Process

Nuovo Richie Seat Lug on Vice –

From my personal collection.

Artist’s statement: A lug is a multifunctional, multidimensional part. A holding device for two tubes that hope to have a long romance. Lugs are often brazed by a person who thinks less and feels more. Grab a lug you pay homage to a process perfected when the streets of time and money were less likely to intersect. When you wouldn’t find a time-clock where your bicycle was made. When you coast down the road on your frame brazed with lugs, its maker is riding with you. And will for decades. Maybe more.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like

My favourite lug design, so elegant
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like

Spots

As with everything there are the spots. Not all are high ones. Most are good ones. But when the fall happens I dunno what leaves first, trust or faith. I got myself a situation or three that Iím sure (based on life so far) wonít even be memorable a month from now. These deals the alliances the things you wanna make happen so that they appear to happen so organically yaí just wanna sit there and grin when they do, but certainly take no credit for your part in them. But then a thing goes missing. Or a pal. Itís such a balls in the air situation some days that itís weird more donít hit the ground. Iím used to the juggling the keeping up appearances crap. But every so often there are these spots and all I can do all I can muster and hope for is to look up high and know that itís where I belong not here. My mom empowered me with a phrase a thought process a belief system from her days as a mentor of school principals. Itís see it done. Three words no waiting. I need to see it done and find the spot thatís not this one.

All This By Hand