Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 7576777879808182838485
Results 1,681 to 1,683 of 1683

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

Unearthed

On some levels IG is a foreign language to me because I don’t know who sees what or how deep folks go into the images already stored. But I’ve been posting the transparencies recently unearthed here at Ground Zero in the 06417. Many are 4 X 5 sizes and come with a story or at least an observation. Just today I found several hundred color positives taken by Michael Furman from Philadelphia. They all show a 20th Anniversary Frame I made in the 1991 period. I added some text to one about a week ago if you’re interested in the backstory. Now I’ll begin pasting in detail shots. Luscious is the only word that comes to mind when describing Michael’s camera work. If anything is NSFW, his photographs fit that acronym perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

Q & A

Peter Brentlinger took the original photograph and I took this one. It’s from 1996, or maybe a year before. We shot a series for a printed piece that this became part of. This image was selected for the cover and had some type laced over it. It read, “Why buy a frame from a one-man shop still using tradtional hand-building methods?” The answer was inside the brochure and simple. Because technology alone is a poor substitute for experience. I first used these words in 1990 for an ad placed in Velo-News’ 20th Anniversary issue. On many levels they’re more germane today than ever before.

Post Thanks / Like

Challenge

This is a 4 X 5 transparency shot by Bruno in the late 1990s. It was used as a glam image to accompany a 9,000 word article in Cigar Aficionado about the handmade niche. To my mind, and I felt similarly at the time, the assembled bicycle represents as far as I could take my work in what was already a decidedly nonferrous era. Components were still mostly silver and alloy at that. Though up to date parts-wise, this one is 4.1 on the meh scale according to my opinion. A 5.0 would be completely meh. What I needed, what I looked forward to, was to be able to deliver bicycles that didn’t look like vestiges from the 1980s, Ya I just said that. Me, a maker who uses steel and brazes pipes together with lugs. And also makes his own forks. Twenty years have passed and I’m even more resolute. The challenge is to fabricate frames to the best of my ability, to optimize the material, to take my skills as a joiner and craftsman as far as I can, but still be able to look at the bicycle when it’s complete and believe the challenge has been met. Up until a year or three ago I was still content. Now, I think most components look like crap and belong only on manufactured frames that are sold on the street corner. That’d be several subway stops from the one I stand on today.