User Tag List

Page 100 of 101 FirstFirst ... 90919293949596979899100101 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2003

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

-
    When I make a bicycle frame, the real action - the making part - doesnít start until Iím a good four hours into the commission. Until then itís an intellectual process. I revisit the emails and paperwork that have lived in a folder or on a clipboard, sometimes for years. A mental image of what I plan for the client forms. I grab materials, cut some tubes to length, and verify that my fixtures mirror the very plan I have in mind. All these small tasks are second nature. No formulas. No apps. No molds. Nothing conveniently falls from a tree and becomes the frame or any subassembly of it. Before anything happens, I go through the mental exercises that will, along with my experience, intuition, and some luck, yield a metal structure that components will attach to and become a bicycle.

To be continued.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    At that four-hour mark I grab the torch. Itís like the beginning. Almost but not exactly like the first time, no matter how many thousands of times Iíve been here before. Itís exhilarating. I live for it. And Iím good at it. I light the torch and braze the lower head lug. Itís the confluence where the down tube and head tube meet and, of course, is enveloped by a lug of my own design. I bring the area up to temperature, wait for the flux to turn from a white paste-like consistency into a clear looking liquid that resembles (turn your head if youíre squeamish) mucous. That transition is my cue. It lets me know that the joint is ready to accept the 56% silver alloy rod that rests in my left hand as I continually wave the oxy-acetylene torch in my right hand. Iím so used to this moment, so conditioned from decades of making, that often a thought bubble appears over my head in which the words, ďSay bye-byeĒ appear. Itís a sign that the length of brazing rod will soon get shorter and shorter as I fill the joint with molten silver alloy material.

To be continued.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    The moment comes and Iíll often remember that scene at Monterey when Hendrix, on his knees, lights his Ď65 Strat on fire and uses body language to coax the flame up and down the neck. With torch in hand I beg the molten filler metal to go where I want it to go. Where it needs to go. Where it belongs. And sometimes I think of lovemaking. I will tease. Lure. Coerce. Sometimes even push my way around the joint until itís filled - but only filled and never one small part of an ounce extra. I know from so many partners and trysts Iíve had at various workbenches in at least two states and three small towns what it takes for this to happen. The brazing rod touches the surface of the tubular steel and flows in and around and from top to bottom. When everything cools (myself included) and when the material solidifies between the interior of the lug and the two tubes nesting within it, and if Iíve done my job well, to borrow a quote from the film Broadcast News, itís like great sex. Very little I do after this first operation is as satisfying. And I still have the rest of the bicycle frame to braze, to machine threads and bearing surfaces, to do alignment checks, and continually ensure that nothing goes sideways. And then I smoke a cigarette.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    should be cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    To a frame Ė every single one of them Ė getting to and then past this first operation with my torch, invariably leaves me empty. Iíve concluded that the lower head lug joint is so important to the integrity of the bicycle that I do this one first. Done well, I know that whatís left in its wake ought to go smoothly. And that the bicycle frame will feel good and have a long life. But very little after this task gives me the same satisfaction. Iím on autopilot for the next few days, brazing this or dressing up that, while trying to imbue all of it with the same love and attention I give to this first area. On some commissions I can sustain the energy almost until Iím done. On others, I can mail it in. For me, it took many years Ė decades, actually Ė to be able to do what I have to with trust. I donít analyze whatís happening in front of me. I just go to my bench and make it happen.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps very wishful thinking on my part but I'll be first in line when you decide to formally release a collection of your writing. Very enjoyable to read. Thanks for sharing them.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

miscellaneous

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That green is a great color.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    That green is a great color.
    I'm torn between posting a .gif of Kermit singing "It's Not Easy..." and posting a .gif of Linda Blair puking pea soup. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely loving the colors this year.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little different but the olive oil green sort of reminds me of the old Legnano green of the 60s. I have a Hampsten jersey in that color from a few years back. Love that color, tip of the Chapeau to you Mr. Sachs. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, all.
    For 2022 RSCX has six different and distinct art files for the team bicycles, all meant to work as a whole.
    Launch was last Sunday.
    Pics to come soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You clearly never underestimate the power of harnessing an abundance of creativity into objects that were developed without compromising an ounce of detail…well done.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    You clearly never underestimate the power of harnessing an abundance of creativity into objects that were developed without compromising an ounce of detail…well done.
    Hey thank you, RWS!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    From Sunday's RSCX Team lunch 'n launch.
    That's Clem with one of her two units.
    Three riders six colors no waiting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Garden, bunch of carrots and little sweet peas
    I think I'll just let the mystery be

@CyclingNerd

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    a mťlange of tender creativity

@evertlee 📸
    @houseindustries +🟥🟦🟨🟩+

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That photo belongs in the "what are you cooking for dinner this weekend?" thread.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    For as long as I can remember, bicycle racing reminds me of boxing. It's old school. Rooted in the working class. My sport is a pre-war, a pre-motorsports, and a pre-television ordeal at the core. It's governed (for the most part) by retired racers who manage the teams, and drive the cars that follow the events. These people, mostly older men, keep things in a state of arrested development. I follow it with all its foibles and transgressions, and try to enjoy the entertainment nonetheless. Itís a chore.

My trade is a part of the puzzle. In my impressionable years I considered framebuilders to be the cornermen for those inside the rings. Coaches. Cutmen. Handlers. The guys who told the fighters what to do and what not do. In my mind, and this is a construct that perhaps few share - the men who designed and fabricated these bicycles each had their own following, racers who'd depend on them to supply machines that could lead them to the finish line ahead of all others.

But there's no disputing that a relationship, a trust, existed between the framebuilder and the rider. I don't remember ever NOT wanting to be part of this construct, be it real or simply the fantasy that keeps me looking forward. To make a better bicycle so that those in whose corners I sit will have the best tool for the job - this is why I stand at the bench each morning.

All This By Hand