Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Your favorite race poster?

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    This old thing?

andy-hampsten-poster.jpg
    Someone needs to tell him that riding in the snow can be slippery and he might fall off his bike and get hurt. He doesn't even know to use disc brakes and fenders.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King Of Dirk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    I'm not the only one! I printed both of these and asked Greg to sign them as well a few years ago.
    But I thought we were talking posters not photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fan or not, this one comes to mind...
    e6e15aaf5b9889ab00d2ab5a99398532.jpg
    Rick Stubblefield

Luxury is a neccessity after the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Here is my proposal:

Dear Thomas,

There are many lovely race posters. That one may win the unexpected superposition of elements award.

Best Regards,

Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    I'm not the only one! I printed both of these and asked Greg to sign them as well a few years ago.
    But I thought we were talking posters not photos.
    The picture I attached is the original one used for a poster from Winning Magazine, I can take a photo of the original poster but then again it would still be a photo in the end... ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    The picture I attached is the original one used for a poster from Winning Magazine, I can take a photo of the original poster but then again it would still be a photo in the end... ;)
    I've always like this picture but did not know that back story since was not a subscriber back then. Pro cycling coverage in the USA back then was really minimal and certainly not timely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    I've always like this picture but did not know that back story since was not a subscriber back then. Pro cycling coverage in the USA back then was really minimal and certainly not timely.
    Fans in the United States were dependent upon the weekly TV coverage, Velonews and Winning Magazine. Velonews even had a telephone line you could call to get recorded race results. I can remember going to the local university library because they had the Times (London) and if you dug you could get race results a few days after the events. But you wouldn't get a full review of a race like the Tour de France until months after it was over.

This 1989 Tour was one of the best ever and obviously had the most exciting and probably unexpected finish. It certainly changed cycling because of Greg Lemond's approach to aero technology. It's hard to imagine a better race, with small margins, legendary riders, changes of the lead, etc. The rider to Greg's left is Robert Millar, today Philippa York, who writes frequent, and good, columns which can be read on Cyclingnews dot com.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 12-11-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Fans in the United States were dependent upon the weekly TV coverage, Velonews and Winning Magazine. Velonews even had a telephone line you could call to get recorded race results. I can remember going to the local university library because they had the Times (London) and if you dug you could get race results a few days after the events. But you wouldn't get a full review of a race like the Tour de France until months after it was over.

This 1989 Tour was one of the best ever and obviously had the most exciting and probably unexpected finish. It certainly changed cycling because of Greg Lemond's approach to aero technology. It's hard to imagine a better race, with small margins, legendary riders, changes of the lead, etc. The rider to Greg's left is Robert Millar, today Philippa York, who writes frequent, and good, columns which can be read on Cyclingnews dot com.
    Trying to follow euro racing from Bermuda in the 80s was even tougher! It used to take about four months to get my hands on Winning and Velonews was unavailable. I remember finding out in August '87 about the results of that year's spring classics!

Oh, the good old days when the Euro scene was one of mystery and magic spectacle in equal measure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    Trying to follow euro racing from Bermuda in the 80s was even tougher! It used to take about four months to get my hands on Winning and Velonews was unavailable. I remember finding out in August '87 about the results of that year's spring classics!

Oh, the good old days when the Euro scene was one of mystery and magic spectacle in equal measure.
    In the late 80s i was spending all my time windsurfing and mountain biking. During the Tour I remember seeing a what was probably a one minute segment on the weekend sports show, and perhaps a small paragraph on the last page of the sports section.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to meet GL for the second time and despite the hordes before and after me he was very gracious. I'm sure he has signed these many many times.

IMG_0495.jpg

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of those Lemond posters (86 and 89 Tour last TT and Worlds) were from Avocet computers back in the day. Remember them?

Hope this is OK with mods, but here's a shameless plug for a set of Winning Tour issues from 1984-1996, FS on Paceline. Has that Lemond poster insert in one issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine was just the result of a Google Image search that yielded an easily-copied link to the Graham Watson photo which was distributed in poster format, one copy of which lives in my study.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12