Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WTF, how hard is it??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WTF, how hard is it??

My method was always, slow down and coast so they could hear the hubs, ring the bell and say in loud enough tone of voice that didn't sound like shouting that I was passing.

If there were children or dogs involved, slow way the hell down and wave to the kids. If they're on a bike, tell them their bike is cool.

On the road during Covid these days, I give people a very wide berth that are walking. Like out to the yellow line or across when possible. I always get a wave, a smile, and/or a "thank you".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by domesgique View Post
    My method was always, slow down and coast so they could hear the hubs, ring the bell and say in loud enough tone of voice that didn't sound like shouting that I was passing.

If there were children or dogs involved, slow way the hell down and wave to the kids. If they're on a bike, tell them their bike is cool.

On the road during Covid these days, I give people a very wide berth that are walking. Like out to the yellow line or across when possible. I always get a wave, a smile, and/or a "thank you".
    I'd ride with you. At an appropriate social distance, of course. Same here, especially with dogs and kids.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by domesgique View Post

Exactly. Yesterday as I approached a T intersection, a cyclist rolled by. They looked good on the bike, but slower than I was going. I backed off and maintained a good-distance (50 yds) because that was easier (and more polite) than trying to pass them. Then I noticed they were shaking out one of their hands from numbness. Probably the first time out, or a longer ride than in a while. Still maintaining the distance.

At the next intersection they stopped, put a foot on the ground, and shook out that hand again.

I sat up, put the mask on, pulled out to the the yellow line and waved as I passed.

This level of consideration is new but it ain't that hard. Nice work, domesgeek!
    Last edited by thollandpe; 1 Week Ago at 07:50 PM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

[I]Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With kids and dogs it is always only slightly faster than their own pace, like close to walking pace. They just love to turn around without warning.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a laugh this morning because Campagnolo discs when they're wet should really only be applied about 30 yards back of the couple on the path. I apologized profusely and they were laughing hysterically.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I got a laugh this morning because Campagnolo discs when they're wet should really only be applied about 30 yards back of the couple on the path. I apologized profusely and they were laughing hysterically.
    Like freshly glued rim-brake CX tubulars - "Warning! I am slowing down!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I tend to think that if I pass someone swiftly, saying anything before will be useless or might make him change his line by surprise. That said I always give a lot of room so even if that persone deviate there is no risk. There is no good reason to not leave 1 or 1.5m between each other.
    I agree with this. I don't know how many times I hollered on your left and the dopes on bikes, as well as runners and walkers, move to their left, then they move to the right, then if it's a group they divide with some going left and some going right. I found it to be much safer, most of the time, to simply buzz past them so they don't have time to think about what side is left. If their taking up the whole path I'll hell on your left and some go left and some right, so I slow down waiting for those on the left to go back to the right, or they wave me through. I don't even have this much problems with squirrels!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123