User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you overpay for a bike . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Would you overpay for a bike . . .

Would you be willing to pay 1.5-2x the value of a bike if that bike had sentimental value?

When I was 18, I quit my summer job and blew all my money on my first mtb. Later in college, I needed money and sold the bike, which I sorely regretted later on. That was about 15 years ago, but today I was grocery shopping and bumped into the guy who bought it! I asked about the bike and he said it was actually for sale. I was very excited until he said the price, which was way out of line for today's prices. Yes, it has king hubs and some other nice stuff but it's also an outdated 26" bike with rim brakes. On the other hand, he also said he never really rode it and still has the original paperwork I gave him from the bike shop! I took his number just in case and now I'm trying to put a price on sentimentality. Is that even possible? What would you do if you could buy back your first bike?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Would you overpay for a bike . . .

I have every high-end bicycle that I ever had built...except for old mountainbikes.
    Tell the guy you are willing to pay his 2003 purchase price to get the bicycle back.
    Sentimental value does have a cost, yet Iím not paying fantasy prices to reunite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd ask yourself first OP, do you really want the bike back? You might find you've lost interest beyond the initial enjoyment of having it back after a short time.

If you decide you really want the bike back in the end though, I'd give the seller some time, because it probably wont sell at what he's asking. Then make an offer that's inline with what you think is fair. Maybe he'll go for it if he's been sitting on it a while.

Personally, I'd never want any of my past bikes back. I know what I have now is better and the nostalgia would evaporate quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside form having the original paperwork for the bike being completely irrelevant to it's current value; sentimentality is about the great times you had riding the bike - back in the day. It's not about owning the bike again.

If the bike was somehow rare / collectible / one of a kind etc then maybe owning again might be nice............ but only with an equally 'sentimental' price tag.

Let it go, ride on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that this guy is trying to sell it back to you for more than you sold it TO HIM for, is an insult. While he has a right to ask any price he wants, it shows he lacks character. I wouldn't give this guy the time of day.

I agree with Blue Jays and jumphigher; make a more rational offer, which shouldn't exceed what you sold it to him for, and tell him if he finds no other buyers he can take your offer. Either way, I'd write this guy off as an arrogant tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with above: Make him a cash offer for what you think is fair. Yeah, maybe a bit high than what he paid, so he feels good too.

Then you can sleep at night, knowing you at least tried.

I also get attached to bikes. I know some don’t, but I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, wait! I don't think I explained the situation well.

His price was less than what I sold it to him for back then. But, his price is also higher than current market value.

The bike is not extremely rare, but medium rare. And it was the bike that got me into biking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would still only be willing to pay a slight premium over market, 5-10% max. If he is truly over market, he won't have any better offers.

I have found some people just aren't aware of current market prices of bikes. They see the price of new bikes and think there 1 year old bike should command 80% of msrp or something. Maybe show him some comps to come to a fair price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sizzzllahhhh...

You WANT to buy the bike,so make an offer and do it. Scratch that itch if you have the cash, and just do it!

If money is an issue, (kids needs new shoes) and you may feel guilty, don't.

"Back in the day"- although I had FAT chances and other nice bikes, I always wanted a Bontrager. Many years latter, A NOS Race frame came into my sights, I most likely paid a little too much for it, and although I needed another 90s mountain bike like a hole in the head, I had fun building it up, I ride the crap out of it and am very glad I pulled that trigger!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't confuse what something is worth and what it's value is to you. I think in terms of worth, an outdated (though I don't think you said how old it is - when I was 18, there weren't any mountain bikes, at least not any I could buy in a bike shop) mountain bike is relatively worthless. But its value to you may be considerable, say for instance if it was the bike you won the USA National Championships on. So it isn't a good idea to conflate worth with value, because they will rarely match up.

Better to decide why you would be buying it back from him and whether the price fits that reason and whether buying it will satisfy whatever need that suggests.

For me, paying the penance of what I might perceive as a slightly inflated price would satisfy my remorse instinct for having let it go in the first place. But then I'd probably say f**k it and forget about it. The psychology of it is too complicated and needy. Like I need another bike to trip over in the house.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    "Back in the day"- although I had FAT chances and other nice bikes, I always wanted a Bontrager. Many years latter, A NOS Race frame came into my sights, I most likely paid a little too much for it, and although I needed another 90s mountain bike like a hole in the head, I had fun building it up, I ride the crap out of it and am very glad I pulled that trigger!
    Coincidentally, the bike in question is also a Bontrager! It's a Privateer Comp in the blue/white/orange scheme from Wisconsin after the Trek buyout, but still made with OX tubing, Sid fork, King hubs and XTR components.

In the intervening years, I have owned two other Bontrager Race Lites from Santa Cruz, trying to recapture the feeling from 'za good old days' but I have since moved on to more modern mtbs.

Realistically, I have zero reason to own an old mtb now other than to ride it down memory lane. That said, I think I'll make him an offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've gone back and bought some bikes that I wanted in the 90's. Both are Nobilette GT's, one is a wall hanger (US Team) and the other gets ridden (Shaklee). I certainly didn't pay a premium and honestly wouldn't have bought them if they haven't been decent price. I wanted them but there was no emotional attachment otherwise. If there was a bike that I lusted for, I'd probably pay a little more but then again, I'm not into cycling to save money.
    I heart burnt bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, i bought a firefly and paid extra to get it early

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im patiently waiting to buy my first real road bike back. Sold it to a friend when I was not riding and the kids were young. I still see the guy I sold it to from time to time and it is just hanging in his garage, but he doesn't want to sell it back to me yet.

I'll get it back someday and I'm willing to pay a little more for it....within reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real question is : do you have a newer, better MTB today.

If the answer is yes, you are only driven by nostalgia and that bike would start collecting dust after the first ride. Are you looking for a bike to ride or a cobweb hanger ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it ain't replacing food on your kids' table, then go for it. One could say we overpay for restaurant food, watches, cars, clothes, etc all of the time. It's all relative. You're paying for the experience more than stuff, anyway. I sold my first bike to my little bro 15 years ago then bought it back (same price) last year. It's ridiculously smooth and fun to ride anywhere my attention deficit takes me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    The real question is : do you have a newer, better MTB today.

If the answer is yes, you are only driven by nostalgia and that bike would start collecting dust after the first ride. Are you looking for a bike to ride or a cobweb hanger ?
    Hmm, are you saying an old bike isn’t worth riding?

All my mountain bikes are old, from the late 80s thru the 90s.
    I don’t care to have a new one, I can keep up with anyone I ride with on my old ones. I’m not racing anymore, so I’m past the “must have latest & greatest” dance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    yes, i bought a firefly and paid extra to get it early
    Since when is that an option?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    Hmm, are you saying an old bike isn’t worth riding?

All my mountain bikes are old, from the late 80s thru the 90s.
    I don’t care to have a new one, I can keep up with anyone I ride with on my old ones. I’m not racing anymore, so I’m past the “must have latest & greatest” dance.
    No I'm not saying that.

What I mean is once you tasted the more modern geometries and larger wheel sizes the old 26" from the 90's feel way less capable than before. Like switching back from a modern car to a Ford T.

In other words, you should feel lucky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    No I'm not saying that.

What I mean is once you tasted the more modern geometries and larger wheel sizes the old 26" from the 90's feel way less capable than before. Like switching back from a modern car to a Ford T.

In other words, you should feel lucky.
    I agree with this. I have a bunch of old Look 585s because I like them. They strike a chord with me and were really nice in their day, which was 15 years ago. They have been surpassed now and are nice because they're nice, but I'm under no illusions that they're as good as today's best bikes. That said, for 99% of my riding they're more than good enough.

Make the seller an offer and like someone said, if you're not taking money from feeding your kids or saving for retirement or whatever (in other words, this is your "Play Money" budget), go for it. My bet is that you'd ride it a few times and then end up putting it aside.

Nostalgia is often a total mirage, which I can speak confidently about because am guilty of it and know its end result.

How much money are we talking about?
    La Cheeserie!