User Tag List

Thread: Women's Thermal (not bibs) Shorts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Women's Thermal (not bibs) Shorts

My wife hates bibshorts and won't wear them, but she wants a pair of thermal shorts - like Super Roubaix, Nano Flex, etc. - so she can wear knee or leg warmers. She takes layers on and off and on and off more than anyone I've seen. Anyway, I have not been able to find any cycling shorts (again, NOT bibshorts) cut for women that were also made of some sort of fleece-backed lycra for colder temps. Knickers, yes, tights, yes, no shorts.

Thanks in advance for helping a husband out.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Women's Thermal (not bibs) Shorts

I hate to say and maybe I'll be proven wrong, but "thermal shorts" is rather an oxymoron. Typically, if it's cold enough for a warm layer, you wouldn't be wearing shorts.

I realize it may not be particularly fashionable, but what about some sort of overshort, or even the type of shorts worn for MTB use which are a combination of overshort / bike shorts, to provide an additional layer? A layer that blocks the cut of the wind may be enough in this situation, until winter temps arrive?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Anyway, I have not been able to find any cycling shorts (again, NOT bibshorts) cut for women that were also made of some sort of fleece-backed lycra for colder temps. Knickers, yes, tights, yes, no shorts.
    I don't think they exist. Women in general seem to love knickers, so that's where most brands position their fall/winter women's skus,
    not sure i've seen a non-bib from the usual brands.

The combination of thermal lycra and no knee coverage kinda goes against the whole point of using heavier than a std weight fabric,
    with limited skus in the women's range of most brands, i guess it's just a commercial issue, they need to sell enough.

Your wife could take some knickers she likes and have the legs shortened, i suppose. I can't imagine why having the knee covered is a problem if she's got
    thermal shorts on. Like Mike said, an overshort as a removeable layer might be an all around better solution. If it gets too warm, take off knee warmers,
    she could take off the overshort too, and just be left with regular weight shorts. This Patagonia one looks great.

Patagonia Women's Dirt Roamer Mountain Bike Shorts - 11 3/4"

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dubes View Post
    "thermal shorts" is rather an oxymoron.
    I do like the combination of thermal shorts and leg warmers, (avoids the pulling in the knee area of many bib tights) of but i think that's a very niche market.
    With the brands of cyclewear i've managed, at retail and as a distributor, thermal shorts are a really tough sell.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    I do like the combination of thermal shorts and leg warmers, (avoids the pulling in the knee area of many bib tights) of but i think that's a very niche market.
    With the brands of cyclewear i've managed, at retail and as a distributor, thermal shorts are a really tough sell.

-g
    I think thermal (bib) shorts are the way to go. That way I have versatility to pair them with anything from mid-weight knee warmers to heavy duty leg warmers or even something like a castelli nanoflex knee warmer if there’s a chance of rain. Knickers are great on rides that will have a consistent temperature, but shorts + leg coverings are the way to go for days with swings in temperature or conditions.

Jorn, sorry for the thread derailment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I think thermal (bib) shorts are the way to go. That way I have versatility to pair them with anything from mid-weight knee warmers to heavy duty leg warmers or even something like a castelli nanoflex knee warmer if there’s a chance of rain. Knickers are great on rides that will have a consistent temperature, but shorts + leg coverings are the way to go for days with swings in temperature or conditions.
    It's the fine art of dressing for different temps, and having a whole lot of kit to choose from for the conditions.

I'd never argue against a brand making every combination possible, i've had all the Assos bottoms,
    thermal bib shorts, two different weights of knickers, several versions of full bib tights,
    with all the accessories to mix and match. I'm also aware that some stuff is always on the closeout lists,
    so i see why brands give up on certain pieces that actually are great in the right conditions, but i mostly
    see people 95% of the time in their normal std weight bibs.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but i mostly see people 95% of the time in their normal std weight bibs.
    We don't get many cold mornings, but we do get a few. My buddies make fun of me for wearing thermal bibs, but I'm usually the only one not shivering or bitching about the temperature. And when I travel north in the spring and fall, they're great. I have a few pairs of thermals now and consider them a staple of a well rounded wardrobe.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She might like:
    WOOL cycling shorts - Bouré Bicycle Clothing

They are Merino Wool -- maybe even better than thermal! We have made them in Team stuff...but don't know of any brands who stock them.
    Joni Taylor * TEXmarket-USA * www.texmarket-usa.com
    Build to order, European Production of Cycling, Running and Triathlon Apparel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taylorj View Post
    She might like:
    WOOL cycling shorts - Bouré Bicycle Clothing

They are Merino Wool -- maybe even better than thermal! We have made them in Team stuff...but don't know of any brands who stock them.
    Thanks Joni. That's a good suggestion. But she has some allergies to wool - or rather to lanolin - and she wouldn't want to risk it.

I don't think they exist. Women in general seem to love knickers, so that's where most brands position their fall/winter women's skus,
    not sure i've seen a non-bib from the usual brands....

-g
    Yeah, so to prove Grant right, my wife told me never mind she ordered a pair of Rapha knickers, so crisis averted. She evidently tried these on in the store and they aren't fuzzy, but that means they are not as warm as a thermal knicker, which is what she's looking for. She's happy, I'm happy.

Re: thermal bibshorts - I like thermal bibshorts because I have long femurs and most knickers barely cover my knee. Bibshorts + knee warmers give me coverage to mid-calf.
    Last edited by j44ke; 1 Week Ago at 06:03 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books