User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why not long and slack for cross/all road?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Why not long and slack for cross/all road?

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    Do tell.
    Tire clearance (cross, especially for anything in the upper ranks or international, needs only clear 35s with mud). BB height. To name just a couple.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im building a slacker do-all bike. but it is certainly not a race bike.

Enve GRD, 430mm rear end, 70degree hta, 74 degree STA, 77mm bb drop. will have an excessive amount of weld-ons which could be outfitted with anything. of note though I want to make a rear rack that somehow is quick release.... maybe small ball lock pins
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmoore View Post

Enve GRD, 430mm rear end, 70degree hta, 74 degree STA, 77mm bb drop. will have an excessive amount of weld-ons which could be outfitted with anything. of note though I want to make a rear rack that somehow is quick release.... maybe small ball lock pins
    Show the bike when completed, sounds interesting. thanks, Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    Show the bike when completed, sounds interesting. thanks, Brian
    sure.
    I have the 7005 head tube stock at the cnc lathe right now and the drawings prepped in CAD to get this done once I have that back.

Aluminum, mixture of Mike Ahrens dropout for paragon derailleur hanger and an imported flat-mount hanger from nova cycle on the other side. I don't feel like there will be a long term supply of hangers for the nova dropout so I will keep that strange mish-mash.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmoore View Post

Enve GRD
    Just an option... 51 rake, should give you >60mm at the front with the 70deg ht. 100g lighter than Enve. No.9 RD+ Fork | Whisky Parts Co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    I race cross but just for fun as I donít have enough time to train to be competitive. I am pretty sure I can show up to a single speed or b race with wider tires and wider bars than the uci rules allow. I think a longer slacker bike with bigger tires will be more fun on a cross course based on my MTB preferences.

I also use my cross bike for road riding as I donít do it enough for a dedicated road bike. I donít race and think more stability would be fine in this scenario.

I have seen MTB geometry change significantly over the past 5 years and my current bikes are much longer in reach and much slacker than the bikes they replaced. I have found the new geometry to be much faster even in tight single track once I adopted by riding style to being centered over the bottom bracket instead of moving my weight back all the time. It doesnít seem like this geometry trend has reached into the drop bar realm so I am exploring the idea and asking for input from people who know more than me. I am curious that a longer more stable bike would work very well and want to hear others experiences.
    UCI equipment rules only apply to UCI races and national championships. You can race a fat bike in the overwhelming majority of cross races in America. I'm venting here, but as a race promoter it drives me bananas that there's this idea that equipment rules are going to be enforced for anything other than pro races. It creates one more barrier to entry to new people just trying to race on the bike they already own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew, these are such amazing bikes. I saw your bikes at Denver NAHBS and had a pang of regret over my ti CX bike choice (that was a most excellent bike in its own right). These Engins are just so beautifully detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by EnginCycles View Post
    I have been doing this for a while. All my all road bikes extend the front center and use a slacker head angle. Most are using a 60-80mm stem. There is more to it though. Steeper seat angle and a few other things to get the right balance.

Small lottery win planned in the near future :)

Bikes of the Bunch: Engin Cycles ultimate titanium road bike | CyclingTips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    UCI equipment rules only apply to UCI races and national championships. You can race a fat bike in the overwhelming majority of cross races in America. I'm venting here, but as a race promoter it drives me bananas that there's this idea that equipment rules are going to be enforced for anything other than pro races. It creates one more barrier to entry to new people just trying to race on the bike they already own.
    On the other hand the whole point and spirit of cyclocross is that you are supposed to ride a bicycle that is not really fit for the job and whose handlebar width allow for some easy overtaking.

It is good that there are races that allow any equipment for newcomers or local people who may not drive to the other venues as well as kids which you can't afford buying 3 different bikes they will outgrow in a few months .

Allowing seasoned people to ride a whole championship on an XC hardtail alongside others on cross bikes ? Looks wrong to me and much harder to justify in 2019 with the popularity of gravel bikes that are one tire swap away from being UCI compliants.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    On the other hand the whole point and spirit of cyclocross is that you are supposed to ride a bicycle that is not really fit for the job and whose handlebar width allow for some easy overtaking.

It is good that there are races that allow any equipment for newcomers or local people who may not drive to the other venues as well as kids which you can't afford buying 3 different bikes they will outgrow in a few months .

Allowing seasoned people to ride a whole championship on an XC hardtail alongside others on cross bikes ? Looks wrong to me and much harder to justify in 2019 with the popularity of gravel bikes that are one tire swap away from being UCI compliants.
    If you design the course properly the CX bike becomes the right tool for the job. We only see mountain bikes in the beginner categories in our series.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    Just an option... 51 rake, should give you >60mm at the front with the 70deg ht. 100g lighter than Enve. No.9 RD+ Fork | Whisky Parts Co
    I have the Enve GRD already.
    Matt Moore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12