User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't you riding in the drops?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why aren't you riding in the drops?

If you are using your drops or have a doctors note please move on, you have achieved nirvana.

For the rest of you shmoos listen up.

Bicycles with drops are or SHOULD be designed and sized so that you are able to comfortably ride in the drops. If you can not reach the drops or if you are not comfortable with riding for extensive periods in the drops something is out of whack.

There is a laundry list of reasons why folks on can not use the drops. Let's explore some of these as well as talk about why and how to remedy.

If you have a 'd back / neck or otherwise will never do this please re-read the first sentence and I love you and we'll talk about how to keep you comfortable in another thread k?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Why aren't you riding in the drops?

I spent all my years racing in college thinking drops were to be used for seconds at a time. Then I got a bike that actually fit me and can stay there all day. It was a revelation.

Now that I'm working with a collegiate team my advice on bike fits is usually size down one size smaller than you think you need.
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drops are why I wish I had drops on my mountain bike.
    When drops are comfortable; no flat bar comes close.
    Rick Stubblefield

Luxury is a neccessity after the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use Your Drops In Various Situations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm only using the drops sparingly--generally to get out of strong wind or to chase after someone I know. The reach is reasonable, and I can shift and brake fine from the drops. I think part of the reason I don't use them much is my core is not as strong as it could be. Part of the reason is I associated them with hammering, and I don't hammer overly much. Part of the reason is because I don't feel like I handle the bike as well. And a lot of the reason is that I'm simply not in the habit. Probably worth noting that nearly all of my riding is done solo, and much is in the form of bike commuting on trail systems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stretch out my hips and riding in the drops is liking lounging on my couch. Hips and lower back tight I'm on the hoods. Lesson is to spend 15 more minutes on the floor.

Why does it make a difference for me? I'm 73 inches tall. Lowering the angle makes a big difference when it's your nose in the wind nearly all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    When drops are comfortable; no flat bar comes close.
    I read this and Toots' post a few times over - I don't ride in the drops much at all. I'm 'comfortable' when I do, but I couldn't ride in the drops for hours on end. Extended periods, yes, but I'm talking 5-10mins (which may or may not qualify as an 'extended period' in your book, but c'est la vie).

The thing for me is that, contrary to the quote above, I *don't* find the hand position in the drops to be comfortable - that's nothing to do with being able to ride in the drops and everything to do with preferring to ride on the hoods. It's how I have always been on the road; and I only ever ride in the drops on descents to ensure I have a safe grip on the bars and can grab the brakes at their safest leverage point. Even when 'giving it beans' I prefer to hunker down low with a 'pistol grip' of the hoods than get in the drops. It's just how I ride.

So I take this with a pinch of salt. I don't disagree necessarily, but I'm not gonna change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. I am. Used the drops today to relieve some hand numbness.
    2. I would more if the Cinelli 65 were still relevant.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was racing, I lived in the drops. 20 years later, not so much. I have some work to do...
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been fitted a couple of times, the more recent fit made me a bit more comfortable in the drops even though the positioning overall is more aggressive. I descend in the drops, and I may cruise on the flats in the drops, but I still spend the majority of my time on the hoods. I run compact drop bars and the difference between drops and hoods isn't as dramatic as it would be with a more traditional drop bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two things sort of changed. Shifting on the hoods changed the number of shifts pre ride by at least 3x as often. Drops to downtube levers was way closer. The second was aero bars. I used to TT pace myself in the drops on solo rides for hours at a time. Now aerobars provide the position for just hammering along. I ride fixed wheels without aerobars and stay on the drops quite a bit to this day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I use the drops,
    But at 6'5" on over the counter frames, I use more fork spacers than the manufacturer is comfortable with.
    Don't believe the hype, (see that other thread),
    Carbon is an amazing fork material.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm a creature of the drops, and interestingly often find that position slightly less aggressive than fully laid out on the hoods. In any case I blame a combination of bad bars (stupid short drop sections or hard angles right in the middle), bad bar set up (drops pointing at the crank, 30 degrees off of horizontal), and bad bike set up (name your poison, they are myriad). that discourages the habit, and once habits are adopted they are hard to break. I still think it's a good idea to wipe class off a tire without my gloves. doh. not knowing how to release the hip prevents alot of folks from being able to get down in the drops too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cause I’m fat...there,

you happy now?
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drops have grown from 5% of the time to maybe 15% even more if I'm out front or by myself. I had my bike fit by J. Bratus in Ann Arbor. She does a great job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I set the Coconino up to ride in the drops, it was that way from the get go. 46cm Salsa bars with flare and shallow drops. The drops have two layers of tape and the Shimano RS 685 levers are set up with the levers back so I can two finger from the drops. I've done >90 minutes continuous in the drops on long gravel grinders.

That bike spoiled me and I found myself uncomfortable on my road bikes with their deep 44's so I've put 46cm Ritchey EvoMax on the Serotta. They're 46 at the hoods and around 50 at the drops. It's a good thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I heart burnt bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    Use Your Drops In Various Situations

Damn. Look how the end of that Left drop is digging into the dirt. Poor handlebars.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beer gut in the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the time when self preservation is the primary objective. Well, that and speed.

12 mile long urban descent

World Famous Rose Bowl Ride on the wheel of a banned rider who breathes through his nose (tru story)

Mean Streets of Pasadena

Drops are aight.

But dif strokes. Justin Williams, not in the drops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought my first drop bar bike online. It was at least a size too big, and the stock bars had a really long reach. I rarely used the drops. I swapped to a shorter reach bar and that helped a little, but not much.

My next dropbar bike was the Zukas gravel bike. At first I thought the front end was too high. I was wrong - I quickly discovered I could spend WAY more time in the drops, even after 7+hrs in the saddle I could still comfortably ride in the drops a good bit. I'm in the drops anytime things get fast, rough, or windy. It's got Cowbells, flarred shallow drop bars.

The next dropbar bike was an Allez. Compared to the Zukas the bars are a bit further away, a bit lower, and they're a bit narrower. Riding solo I don't spend a lot of time in the drops, but on the Tues Worlds ride I'm in the drops a lot - it's the most comfortable place to be when really gettin' after it and trying to hide from the wind so you don't get dropped. The stem is on top of all the spacers that come with the bike, so it could go lower, but I don't want to go lower. I've never had good flexibility.

Also, after getting used to the longer/lower cockpit of the Allez, I could ride the Zukas almost exclusively in the drops haha.

Last edited by dgaddis; 03-01-2018 at 07:38 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?