User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't more people running 46/36 cranksets on all-road bikes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why aren't more people running 46/36 cranksets on all-road bikes?

Is it because these bikes are used more on the road so the 50/34 is a better option?
    Is it because 46/36 is really best suited for cross with an 11x25 (or 28) cassette?

I am always fascinated by what gears people choose especially now that road has an 11x34 option via Ultegra R8000.

If your All-Road bike spends most of its time off-road why choose the 50/34? Are you really using that 50T on Dirt/Gravel/Trails?
    (asked the guy who gets called sir more than dude these days)
    Life is too short to ride uncomfortable bikes
    N=1 (custom Seven Axiom SL, mid-reach brake, 28mm or larger tire, fender mounts, pump peg, and 11x32 cassette)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Why aren't more people running 46/36 cranksets on all-road bikes?

Or another option 48/34 - this is my wife's setup

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I run a 50 up front but with a 12 out back.

34 but with a 30.

The 46/36 went on during 'cross season and shifted very, very nicely. But I wanted more range for the roads I ride.

And yes, Campagnolo 10 so my gearing options are limited compared you you folks in the Big S realm. And now it's been swapped for a triple 50/40/30 so I'm firing on all cylinders.
    Tödd Höllând

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Indy Fab is sporting the ugly 6800 cyclocross outer ring and adapter pieces. So I have a 46/34 and it's a great setup with an 11-32 cassette.

I really, really wish Shimano had nicer rings for this type of riding. A 50x11 bigger than a 53x12 on a road bike and it is a gear that I rarely use, especially on the gravel bike.

The 46 outer ring lets me stay in the big ring more and the shift from the 34 to the 46 is much less drastic than from a 34 to a 50. Highly recommended.

A buddy just picked up a Specialized with a Praxis 36/46. I think it'll be low enough for the riding we do.

Shimano won't likely introduce rings for this because they don't really like people mixing ring sizes they say aren't optimized for their derailleurs, to which I say mine shifts perfectly. This is fugly, but very effective.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a 50/34 and 11/32 cassette. On a dirt road ride I'll use every gear, especially if it's a group ride with fast boys and girls. I'll find myself climbing in the granny, and spinning that big gear on some descents all in the same ride. On our 'usual' Tues Gravel Worlds there's some steep pitches up, and some long (for middle GA) descents. I've hit 42mph on one descent, on gravel. There's a small roller/jump near the bottom that's a little scary at those speeds! Feels like the bike is trying to jump out ahead of you as you roll onto the back side of it.

If I'm riding solo I'm not using those fastest gears all that much, but I still spend most of my time in the big ring. Smaller chainrings would put me in the middle of the cassette more though. Our terrain is rolling, but it the 'rolls' can be dense, so even though there's not a lot of elevation change from top to bottom, you go back and forth a lot. The Tues Gravel Worlds ride is 26 miles and about 1600ft of climbing, most of which is in the first half of the route. The last half is trending downhill.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 01-09-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50/34 and 11-32 here. The big gear side of the range is perfect for road and gravel here where it's flat. And the itty-bitty gear side of the range lets this flatlander climb dirt roads comfortably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've gone to 46/34 on my gravel AND road bike. The 46/36 common "cross" gearing is a bit too tall at the low end for the long steep gravel grades around here (a 34x32 is just barely enough, I'm often wishing for just one more gear).

99% of my riding is solo, so I've rarely run out of top end. And when I do coasting is just fine.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree on the 50/34 and 11-32. I use the whole range. If anything I definitely find myself running out with 50-11 on big descents, which can be annoying but wouldn't give up the 34-32 for the climbs, so I live with it. Though pine for a 52 at times.

I ran an 11-34 cassette for D2R2 this year and it was nice for the climbs but I don't care for the 13 to 11 jump at the bottom of the cassette when cooking along, the jump feels huge. I'm pretty comfortable with 50/34, 11-32 for most everything. Sometimes swap to 11-30 for the day to day.
    Last edited by Justin@BlackOakVelo; 01-09-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    Instagram- BlackOakVelo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the bike I have out in the Catskills right now: 46/34, 11-32, 28mm tubeless.

And some action shots I just rescued from the Photobucket abyss:

Like Justin, I spin out the 46x11 on the steepest descents. Unlike Justin, I don't wish for more gear when that happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    ...I'm often wishing for just one more gear...
    We're always wishing for just one more gear. Especially come April.
    Tödd Höllând

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHen I didn't have a road bike and used my CX bike for everything, I absolutely loved flying along in a 46. For my spinning style it was perfect, and I would only spin-out after about 40mph, and when on a solo ride who cares? It wouldn't be the best for a wicked-fast group ride though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty happy with 48/36 x 11-28

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea of switching out the 52/36 on my bike for a 50/34 made me depressed for about a week. I thought about going out to buy a red sports car to solve my crisis, but they were all automatic transmission. So I considered having an affair with a teenager to prop up my ego, but one of them said I reminded her of an older Woody Allen.

So I put the 50/34 on my bike and felt better at least on the hills. As long as I am going uphill, I feel okay. Spinning out on the downhills and the double shifts required to lessen the clunky jumps between gear inches just make me feel old.

I am considering secretly outfitting one of my bikes with a 52/42 and a 13-19 corncob for late night sessions on rollers while watching "Stars and Water Carriers" on infinite loop in order to hold myself together.

46/36 would just make me cry.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I run a 36/46 on the Coconino with a 11-32 cassette and 700X37mm tires. My road wheel setup (when the spacers arrive) has an 11-28 and 32mm tires. There are very few situations on the road where I'd want something higher and so far the low end has been enough. The 36-46 shift is very quick and accurate with the 8000/9100 FD. One road bike has a 34/50 and a 12-25 and the rest have standard with 12-27. The compact and 12-25 are growing on me. It's not hilly enough to have a descent where I'd need a 50-11. When I was stationed in VA Beach, I rode a standard with an 11-23 because I'd use the 11 on most group rides for the sprints. 30-40 people sprinting get near 40 mph pretty quick on a flat road with a little tailwind.
    I heart burnt bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife's Cannondale CAADX came with 46/36, and neither of us sees the point. With the 11-28 cassette, big square knobby 28c tires, and comparatively heavy aluminum frame that bike comes with, the low gear isn't low enough, the high gear isn't high enough, and there's too much overlap in between. This year Cannondale changed the stock chainrings on the CAADX, and now that model comes with 48/32 ...which makes a whole lot more sense to me and the missus. (And, apparently, to Cannondale also.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm an old guy who mostly rides alone. 46-30 works just fine for me... Knees quite happy...
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The idea of switching out the 52/36 on my bike for a 50/34 made me depressed for about a week. I thought about going out to buy a red sports car to solve my crisis, but they were all automatic transmission. So I considered having an affair with a teenager to prop up my ego, but one of them said I reminded her of an older Woody Allen.

So I put the 50/34 on my bike and felt better at least on the hills. As long as I am going uphill, I feel okay. Spinning out on the downhills and the double shifts required to lessen the clunky jumps between gear inches just make me feel old.

I am considering secretly outfitting one of my bikes with a 52/42 and a 13-19 corncob for late night sessions on rollers while watching "Stars and Water Carriers" on infinite loop in order to hold myself together.

A lot of sympathy here. But you aren't riding daily training rides on that corncob? Shame, shame, shame.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn-

When (notice how I did not say if) I move back to NYC, I'll find and build up a Cannondale 3.0 frame (circa 1988/9) with those stupid overhang dropouts using a corncob cassette and 52/42 crank. We can do laps in Central Park and fly up the Harlem Hill (all 149.54 ft of it) reliving our youth on the harshest aluminium frame ever made with the tightest gearing known to man.

If you are really up for it, we can bitch-slap some millennials, take their fixes, and ride those too.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    A lot of sympathy here. But you aren't riding daily training rides on that corncob? Shame, shame, shame.
    Life is too short to ride uncomfortable bikes
    N=1 (custom Seven Axiom SL, mid-reach brake, 28mm or larger tire, fender mounts, pump peg, and 11x32 cassette)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    While I know you weren't pointing this at me...

My roadie is 46/34 with a 10-speed 11-23 in the rear. Gravel rig is 46/34 with an 11-25 on the road, 11-32 off-pavement. Not quite corncob, but pretty darn close.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you like the 36/46, you'll probaby really like the Wickwerks 34/44 combination I race CX on.

For gravel, I'll put the 34/50 rings back on because there's usually a big downhill after the big uphill

M