Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoop 3.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Whoop 3.0

Pretty stoked about the new release of the Whoop 3.0 band. Looks like they done some huge improvements.

1) 5 day battery
    2) HR bluetooth to sync element et. al. (Hated wearing two hr monitors)
    3) prescribed intensity and real time intensity tracking.

I ordered one today and should receive it in a month.

WHOOP - The World's Most Powerful Fitness Membership.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Whoop 3.0

How do they manage upgrades for existing users? Just continue your subscription or is there a charge for the new device?

Have you made any major changes in your routine due to Whoop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would like to try Whoop, but their subscription based model is a huge turn off. I don't want to pay $30 month in perpetuity for a wearable. In my head, not all businesses are fit for a subscription model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$288/year on the annual membership is steep. What are you getting from that membership?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    $288/year on the annual membership is steep. What are you getting from that membership?
    Apple Watch, Garmin, Suunto, etc., all easily $288 or more for a wearable.

The difference here is that Whoop is betting that a decent percentage of users will continue to pay the monthly fee after the first year.

The cost of acquisition is low, and the cost of a year of ownership is competitive if you expect to upgrade annually, or even semi-annually.

But your question is where it's at: Exactly what are you getting?

The Apple Watch provides HRV, a variety of personal/social challenges, Strava integration, etc., as do many other devices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    But your question is where it's at: Exactly what are you getting?
    Feeling miserable about yourself.

Imho life is best lived without having to check out stats, data acquisition summaries and being reminded how fit or unfit you are. Subscription or not.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:51 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had mine for literally 3 weeks- going to email about getting a break on the upgrade.

Like Houston, the longer battery and ability to act as a connected HR strap to other devices is huge. Also, looks like the band is grippier, and one of my main gripes is the basic nylon band loosens during wear and slides around.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post

Imho life is best lived without having to check out stats, data acquisition summaries and being reminded how fit or unfit you are. Subscription or not.
    I dig your candid / unfiltered / contrarian / agent provocateur VSalon persona.

That said, I've learned a lot from tracking - which generally makes me feel better (and reminds me how to feel better when I am not feeling as well...).

Thanks for your low effort / low value comment!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That said, I've learned a lot from tracking
    Can you be more explicit about that part?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree. I have zero desire for what is described here, especially considering the cost.

The more of this stuff in our lives means cycling becomes less and less fun.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you be more explicit about that part?
    I start with the premise that there are many different ways to skin a cat.

Lots of different personalities in the world, and what works for you or me might not work for everyone - or anyone - else.

If you ride 100km every day, you're probably already fit and likely to maintain your current level of fitness as long as your habits remain consistent. In this case, unless you have a clear goal to make some change, tracking is pointless.

On the other hand, if your activity is variable. Let's say you travel frequently for work, but the schedule is inconsistent (that's me), greater objective awareness of activity levels is useful. It's not just about common sense calorie intake - it's about relative effort and recovery - in order to maintain a given fitness level without injury or other setbacks.

Not every tracker (and associated app) is designed for active engagement - some are very passive and simply provide a good view of average activity and associated trendlines. Connected scales are particularly useful for watching trendlines over time. Attention to this type of data can help some people make good choices before they start to feel the effects of a change in diet, travel, or even a simple change in activity/exercise.

Other people benefit from active engagement - i.e., the app doesn't merely collect data, it also provides analytics and proactive recommendations.

I have not tried Whoop, but I know the history of the company quite well as it's local in Boston. They are doing a lot of things differently, so it's interesting to hear about what's working for their users.

One of the things that stands out about Whoop is that it captures performance during activity, as well as at rest. Few people sleep with an Apple Watch, for example, because it doesn't have a sleep mode and typically needs to be charged overnight. Whoop gets your peak HR as well as true resting HR while you sleep, and HRV throughout.

HRV is a particularly reactive metric - it can change dramatically on a day to day basis based on a wide range of factors. There are several different ways to measure it - I'm not sure which method Whoop uses, or what they purport to derive from it - however just as we have a good amount of data on HR and athletic performance today, HRV will become an increasingly common and well understood fitness and health metric in the near future.

I will be interested to see which sensor configurations and UI/UX schemes prove to be most meaningful as this plays out.

In summary, I'm interested in the tech, the experience, and the potential outcomes. All of this is somewhat user-specific and completely academic unless an individual user has a specific objective or goal in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I totally agree. I have zero desire for what is described here, especially considering the cost.

When I was traveling a ton it was the best thing for me. It didn’t make me feel miserable it actually help me feel better as it I could pinpoint what things were making me feel miserable. It helps me not run myself into the ground. Since I am a “founding Customer” I can buy one and don’t need a subscription. Not sure How I would feel about the subscription.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$18/mo is more palatable than $30. I really don't care for the subscription method, but this seems to be the only tracking device that doesn't have a screen. Which is my top priority, and why I've yet to invest.

But

I just saw that it's $30 a month after that year and a half 'trial' period, which I didn't notice last night. Womp womp.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I start with the premise that there are many different ways to skin a cat.

Lots of different personalities in the world, and what works for you or me might not work for everyone - or anyone - else.
    [...]
    In summary, I'm interested in the tech, the experience, and the potential outcomes. All of this is somewhat user-specific and completely academic unless an individual user has a specific objective or goal in mind.
    Thanks for the clarifications Mark.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:43 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am just late to the party with this Whoop thing. How is it different from my garmin 935X? If I sit too long my watch tells me to move (annoying). Battery lasts for all my Ultras, I can run, swim, ride, hike, weight lift, sleep, train, plug in goals and workouts. Nobody touches Garmin for Customer Support and I have been using this watch for many years. What else does this Whoop get me?

I actually use my Withings unless I am training for something. But I can't even imagine anything more than my Garmin. I would probably hire a real life human coach if I wanted more than this...and I guess that would be when the $30 a month could be compared with.

I didn't know there was a gadget that didn't monitor sleep anymore.

How is Whoop better than my Garmin?
    Joni Taylor * TEXmarket-USA * www.texmarket-usa.com
    Build to order, European Production of Cycling, Running and Triathlon Apparel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taylorj View Post
    I am just late to the party with this Whoop thing. How is it different from my garmin 935X? If I sit too long my watch tells me to move (annoying). Battery lasts for all my Ultras, I can run, swim, ride, hike, weight lift, sleep, train, plug in goals and workouts. Nobody touches Garmin for Customer Support and I have been using this watch for many years. What else does this Whoop get me?

I actually use my Withings unless I am training for something. But I can't even imagine anything more than my Garmin. I would probably hire a real life human coach if I wanted more than this...and I guess that would be when the $30 a month could be compared with.

I didn't know there was a gadget that didn't monitor sleep anymore.

How is Whoop better than my Garmin?
    What I love about the Whoop is they have figured out the balance between too much and too little. In other words, the strap intergrates easily into my life. One of the most elegant things about the whoop is you never have to take it off. The charge unit is a battery pack which slide onto the whoop so that you never can take it off. THe whoop never comes off. The second thing the Whoop does is it keeps metrics very simple. Taylor, by saying "anything more I'll hire a coach" is entirely missing the point. The Whoop really measures only one main thing, Strain (continous HVR + HR + other biometirc (body temp, sweat, etc) + sleep), it measures and breakout that thing into two usable metrics, 1) Recovery 2) Performance. Recovery tells how well you recovered and Performance tells you how hard with performed. And since it is on all the time it measure strain adn recovery all the time. Not just when you are excercising or sleeping. In the morning, Whoop sends me a recovery score, 90% recovered or 50% recovered or whatever. If it is 90% I and going to workout harder that day than a low recovery score.

Also it allows you to experiment by trying to enhance recovery. Now I dont eat a big meal for dinner, I mediate before bed, and I start drinking water around 4p to bed to be well hydrated. All these things help my recovery.

So how it works.

At night: brush teeth, slip on battery charger, go to sleep.
    morning: wake up with in 15 minutes Whoop sends me a recovery score via mobile phone. Check score (0-100% recovered), deteremine to "train" accordingly for the day relative to my recovery. get out of bed. Piss, brush teeth, take charger of and recharge it.

Its that simple. And it works.

The three new changes I am excited about are the 5 day battery life and that now I can use my whoop to show my HR on my element and that I can be alerted when I approach my desired performance score.

To me why the whoop is better than the Garmin is it cuts through the BS (like activity reminders) and dials down to performance and recovery is a very simple way without affecting your life that much.
    Last edited by joosttx; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Good stuff snipped...

The three new changes I am excited about are the 5 day battery life and that now I can use my whoop to show my HR on my element and that I can be alerted when I approach my desired performance score.

To me why the whoop is better than the Garmin is it cuts through the BS (like activity reminders) and dials down to performance and recovery is a very simple way without affecting your life that much.
    Thanks for the review. (I have changed my settings on my garmin and it doesn't annoy me..)

It sounds like a cool product but not for me. I will maybe keep my eye on it though....
    Joni Taylor * TEXmarket-USA * www.texmarket-usa.com
    Build to order, European Production of Cycling, Running and Triathlon Apparel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post

Only for people who feel bogged down by tech or can't help but obsessing over numbers. Cycling has never been for fun for me than it is now and I log every single mile, sometimes use an HRM and/or a powermeter, and enjoy looking at numbers. I also used to wear a Withings around the clock and never found the data to be a burden. To each his own and all that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Only for people who feel bogged down by tech or can't help but obsessing over numbers. Cycling has never been for fun for me than it is now and I log every single mile, sometimes use an HRM and/or a powermeter, and enjoy looking at numbers. I also used to wear a Withings around the clock and never found the data to be a burden. To each his own and all that.
    I track my (currently meager) mileage and routes with Strava. But beyond that I don’t track anything. Totally agree that it’s valid for others. Just not me. I think one thing I’ve found frustrating with some folks who track a lot of data is that some folks use that as a point of comparison with others, making that data a kind of competition. I’m thinking in particular about one person who is not on this forum but who always compares numbers with other people.

Clearly, most folks aren’t like that. Anyway, I’m good where I’m at. Folks here remember that I was conflicted over getting a GPS a few years back! I’ve crossed that hurdle successfully so I guess I’m making progress....!
    Last edited by Saab2000; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:50 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoop is new to me, but it's kind of big in a watch like way. We've got a friend who essentially had pretty debilitating shoulder pain that was no longer there when he didn't wear an iwatch and I've had a brain tumour, so having electrical thingamajigs in the bed makes me nervous and my wife angry. So, there is no way I would be allowed to wear one of those 24/7. It's a battle i'd choose not to have, not just a battle i'd probably loose.

This thread started me down a rabbit hole though...anyone have any experience with this? Oura Ring: the most accurate sleep and activity tracker

I could see that working. Maybe. I kinda like sleep tracking and I kinda like HRV.

Maybe (probably!) i'll just stick with the current system where I decide what to do based on whether or not I feel good or tired. It's not as though i'm actually any good, or threatening to become any good, as an athlete.

Is this sort of thing a marginal gain or more than that?
    Colin Mclelland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast