Thread: Whoop 3.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Whoop 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Whoop is new to me, but it's kind of big in a watch like way. We've got a friend who essentially had pretty debilitating shoulder pain that was no longer there when he didn't wear an iwatch and I've had a brain tumour, so having electrical thingamajigs in the bed makes me nervous and my wife angry. So, there is no way I would be allowed to wear one of those 24/7. It's a battle i'd choose not to have, not just a battle i'd probably loose.

This thread started me down a rabbit hole though...anyone have any experience with this? Oura Ring: the most accurate sleep and activity tracker

I could see that working. Maybe. I kinda like sleep tracking and I kinda like HRV.

Maybe (probably!) i'll just stick with the current system where I decide what to do based on whether or not I feel good or tired. It's not as though i'm actually any good, or threatening to become any good, as an athlete.

Is this sort of thing a marginal gain or more than that?
    I can't speak directly to the Oura, but here are my $0.02...

Resting HR can be interesting, and monitoring the trend over time can be meaningful.

Resting HRV is less interesting. For HRV, I'd want to track around the clock to compare active vs. resting. I think Whoop does this.

Given your specific concerns, purely for sleep tracking, the Withings Sleep solution only syncs data when you get out of bed - it's not continuously broadcasting, so there is no continuous exposure to "waves" while you sleep (probably under promoted by Withings, but true nonetheless). You get a basic graph of your sleep modes each night - not necessarily the most actionable information, but a good starting point if you're self motivated and into data...

Another option is to look at sleep apps and use the phone on the nightstand instead of a device in the bed/on your arm, here's one... SleepScore | Helping the world sleep better with research, advice, advanced sleep tracking, and product solutions by the science experts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was reading with interest until i got to the 79% less booze part. This product is dead to me.

Capturex1.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    i was reading with interest until i got to the 79% less booze part. This product is dead to me.

Capturex1.JPG
    You could mess with their stats by drinking MORE, and the WHOOP would tell you exactly how much.
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Capturex1.JPG
    I think you're good. It's not 79% less booze, it's just drinking 79% less often. Apparently, once you buy a Whoop you start binge drinking....

Oh...and now i fully read it it's not even that. It's 79% less often before bed. Surely you can just fall asleep on the sofa?
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    This thread started me down a rabbit hole though...anyone have any experience with this? Oura Ring: the most accurate sleep and activity tracker
    I have an oura ring and been using it for over 6 months and I like it. I used to wear it 24/7 but now only wear it at night to record my sleep. It can sync with Strava so my ride activity is reflected on it and I'm not so interested in day activities like general moving around. I ride enough that my daily activity level is enough. At night, I get my lowest resting heart rate, HRV, how much sleep and type of sleep (deep sleep, rem, light and awake time). I've found that I can ride hard on days when my HRV is high and get a lot of deep sleep. When both are low, I stay with mostly aerobic work since I can't seem to push as hard. If my HR is higher than average or reaches the lowest reading at wakeup, it means that I need more rest or at most an easy ride. After huge events, my HRV, HR and deep sleep tanks until I recover a few days later. Also interesting seeing what happens to my HRV, HR and temperature when I'm sick or about to get sick. I used to sleep before 11 and through the data found that I am better when I sleep before 10.

I haven't tried the whoop but was thinking about it until I found out about the oura ring. I went with the oura since I'm not a watch wearer even though I have some nice watches, I just don't like the feel of it. A ring is so much smaller and doesn't bother me. Although the ring isn't cheap, it didn't have a subscription.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mike. Thatís pretty much what i would do, so itís useful to hear your views. As a one off cost, itís not outrageous

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just ordered the 3.0 strap with the 18 mos package, and it was $307 with the discount from FastTalk. I figure it is about how much I would pay for a wearable that I might replace a year and a half into it anyways.
    I am hoping that unlike my Garmin Vivoactive HR, this will integrate the HRV scores I take daily on EliteHrv and put them better into one package with all the rest of the data. I personally would like to see how daily stress, sleep, and general activity plays into performance instead of just on the bike stress. For example, I use Xert and like it, but it ignores anything but an actual bike ride. If that makes sense, that's why I am interested in Whoop.
    Disappointed in the one to two weeks to ship, but looking forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Powerfibers View Post
    I just ordered the 3.0 strap with the 18 mos package, and it was $307 with the discount from FastTalk. I figure it is about how much I would pay for a wearable that I might replace a year and a half into it anyways.
    I am hoping that unlike my Garmin Vivoactive HR, this will integrate the HRV scores I take daily on EliteHrv and put them better into one package with all the rest of the data. I personally would like to see how daily stress, sleep, and general activity plays into performance instead of just on the bike stress. For example, I use Xert and like it, but it ignores anything but an actual bike ride. If that makes sense, that's why I am interested in Whoop.
    Disappointed in the one to two weeks to ship, but looking forward to it.
    I just got my 3.0 yesterday. One thing I was pleasantly surprised about was it intergartes with TrainingPeaks. Go out drinking or go to bed dehydrated if you really want to see a big swing in HVR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    I just got my 3.0 yesterday. One thing I was pleasantly surprised about was it intergartes with TrainingPeaks. Go out drinking or go to bed dehydrated if you really want to see a big swing in HVR.
    Can't wait to get mine in hand. Do you need the paid TP to really get the advantage? I assume so, and only ask because I am still figuring out the big picture of what I am willing to pay for monthly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, the 2.0 also syncs with TrainingPeaks.

My HRV is usually in the 50-70 range. RHR in the high 40s, low 50s. Sometimes (I notice this most frequently the day after a long, hard ride) I'll get a high recovery score with a HRV in the 120-140s and RHR in the mid 50s. Higher RHR says "you're not recovered" to me. No clue what's up with HRV being so far out of whack...especially in the "good" direction. Anyone else notice this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    FWIW, the 2.0 also syncs with TrainingPeaks.

My HRV is usually in the 50-70 range. RHR in the high 40s, low 50s. Sometimes (I notice this most frequently the day after a long, hard ride) I'll get a high recovery score with a HRV in the 120-140s and RHR in the mid 50s. Higher RHR says "you're not recovered" to me. No clue what's up with HRV being so far out of whack...especially in the "good" direction. Anyone else notice this?
    I never have that happen. Sometimes a long mellow ride boosts my HRV. Also, a good workout in the weight room boosts it too if I haven’t workout in a while. Laying in bed and doing nothing doesn’t help my recovery as much as doing something active like yard work, shooting basketballs, etc....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspected I was going to see this today. Yesterday was a 5hr ride in brutal heat done on 27% recovery. I feel pretty dead today. I reckon I should feel pretty dead today.
    reco.jpg

Any HRV geeks have any clue why I'd have such an outlier of an HRV value on a day like this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any HRV geeks have any clue why I'd have such an outlier of an HRV value on a day like this?
    Fighting illness, quite possibly.
    If you successfully re-established 50-70 without illness, sweet.
    Brian Smith

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve been pretty good at knocking out a short but high stress workout at lunchtime, but with a hellish workweek I’ve exercised around 8 or 9 each night this week and my recovery levels have been very high. Similar bedtimes and very high sleep %.

Definitely interesting and something that bears watching. Only trouble is the long term repeatability of wrangling kids from 7-8, eating dinner, walking dog, working out, and being in bed no later than 10:30.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspected I was going to see this today. Yesterday was a 5hr ride in brutal heat done on 27% recovery. I feel pretty dead today. I reckon I should feel pretty dead today.
    reco.jpg

Podcast 29: Heart Rate Variability (HRV) | The Locker | WHOOP

check out this podcast. also email whoop they will be interested to know about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Smith View Post
    Fighting illness, quite possibly.
    If you successfully re-established 50-70 without illness, sweet.
    Yeah, when this happens - I'd say once every other week - it's back to normal the next day. I have noticed low recovery scores for a week when I'm getting sick - but it's the expected low HRV, high RHR. These weird high HRV, high RHR days only seem to pop up after particularly long days on the bike. Shorter, more intense workouts do not produce these scores.

Podcast 29: Heart Rate Variability (HRV) | The Locker | WHOOP

check out this podcast. also email whoop they will be interested to know about it.
    Yeah, I emailed whoop at the same time I posted. I haven't heard back yet. Thanks for the podcast. That was a good listen. They describe the opposite case, low HRV and low RHR, as parasympatheic saturation - a super recovered state. I wonder if I'm experiencing something on the opposite end of the spectrum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure you've all been waiting with bated breath to hear about my heart rate variability. Here's what I got from Whoop support:

Sometimes, when a body takes on a lot of strain at once, it will recover well that night as the body thinks the next day it will take on a lot of strain again and it prepares for this. Then, once you don’t take on a lot of strain, the body crashes.

For example if someone runs a marathon they may see a high recovery the next morning and then have a very low strain day and see a red recovery after that.

However, it appears that your strap is not operating as it should be. I would like to send you a replacement, can you please provide the best shipping address for this to be sent.
    I'm curious to see if I experience the same numbers with the new strap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure you've all been waiting with bated breath to hear about my heart rate variability. Here's what I got from Whoop support:

I'm curious to see if I experience the same numbers with the new strap.
    This kinda happens to me. Right now I cannot workout because my wife is out of town and its summer vacation. Tuesday I have a recovery of 86%, Wednesday 95%, today 68% tomorrow I am sure I will be in the yellow for no resaon. I have noticed that usually if I do not work out on green days I will slip into the yellow for no apparent reason. This week I am in the green for a longer time for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my 3.0 and started monitoring recovery and HRV for a little over a week. I was using EliteHRV and their Corsense unit before. I like that the Whoop app puts everything in one place. It seems to be learning about me, so I think it will continue to improve its insight, but I do feel like when it says I can take on more stress and then I work hard, I do well. I have been trying to make the most of those days, and I have no complaints and am trying to not make excuses when it tells me I am ready for stress. I am currently using Xert for my training, and I am hoping to get the two in lock-step which I think is possible using the Xert planner and their slider. I am thinking I could adjust the slider based on my daily recovery score.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12