User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who makes a dirt/gravel/snow/ice/commuter w/ disc brakes & full fenders?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who makes a dirt/gravel/snow/ice/commuter w/ disc brakes & full fenders?

Quote Originally Posted by LDC View Post
    Must...find...eyebleach

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who makes a dirt/gravel/snow/ice/commuter w/ disc brakes & full fenders?

Quote Originally Posted by swt View Post
    Must...find...eyebleach
    Here you go:

72.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At risk of being heckled, the Surly Straggler or Straggler 650b meet your requirements. They're based on the Cross Check which I have owned and liked for what it was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Niner rlt, depending on tires it might be tight. I easily run 35 michelin crossmax with fenders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh boy, the custom solutions make my hair go up. Drop bars, skinny tires, steel. It's not nearly what the OP asked for.

He describes an MTB with fender options and a Rohloff/Gates solution, preferably a Stiff OS alu one, so the bike can full loads.

If custom, inspire yourseelf by something like: Santos - Custombuilt bicycles - Travel Lite

Support your local bike shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Giant Anyroad will beat the living piss out of any other bike on this list, and honestly, that Elephant National Hipster Explorer, what a ridiculous boat anchor of a bike. The Salsa Warbird is cool looking, but honestly, who the F do they think they are charging 2k for a warbird with TIAGRA? TIAGRA!!!(same bull$hit with the Vaya - and yeah, yeah, we know it's so dope on gravel, that is still CRACKPIPE)
    Ahem. One man's opinion and all, but I like my bikes like I like my music... with a little soul!

Weight isn't everything.

I'm awaiting delivery of an Elephant NFE in May. I saw one recently delivered from the 1st batch and I mailed my deposit the very next day. It's not "off the shelf" money, but it's not bad for a a small-batch MUSA disc-spec bike that can fit 2.1 knobbies and carry a front load.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    So it needs clearance and braze-ons for full coverage fenders, and to accomodate at least 38c knobby tires under those fenders. That's non-negotiable.

Disc brakes would be nice too; not a dealbreaker, but as long as I'm talking about a bike that's going to get wet & filthy all the time, why not, right?
    Black Mountain Cycles Taiwanese Monster Cross is Surly money, but much better ATMO.

I think twist-grips or thumb shifters, so I can wear big fugly mittens and not have trouble shifting. No suspension.
    Bar-ends work great with mittens.

Is there anything off-the-shelf that fits this description?
    All City Macho Man Disc is a good looking ride that fits your criteria, except for the 105 shifters. Or the Macho King if you want Reynolds 853, a whisky fork, and a sweet fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Der_kruscher View Post
    At risk of being heckled, the Surly Straggler or Straggler 650b meet your requirements. They're based on the Cross Check which I have owned and liked for what it was.
    As a former Straggler owner, I would not recommend going down that road, unless it was exclusively via IGH or SS.
    The vaya is a touring bike. It's ponderous and boring. As is the Fargo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Trek 920 suggested by Will Neide seems to tick all the right boxes according to the op requirement.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Beaudoin View Post
    I posted this on craigslist if the size works - and it's even shiftable wearing mittens!
    Attachment 78215
    That must be the prettiest bike I've seen for that kind of duty

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Giant Anyroad will beat the living piss out of any other bike on this list, and honestly, that Elephant National Hipster Explorer, what a ridiculous boat anchor of a bike. The Salsa Warbird is cool looking, but honestly, who the F do they think they are charging 2k for a warbird with TIAGRA? TIAGRA!!!(same bull$hit with the Vaya - and yeah, yeah, we know it's so dope on gravel, that is still CRACKPIPE)

Here ya go:

Attachment 78219
    that's the beauty of this place
    the hipsters can have their NFE and look cool
    you can ride your Giant faster backwards hybrid and look like you just rolled out of the city bike rental store
    and everyone is mostly happy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the Kona guy I feel like I should give you a choice...

Rove

A Rove with flat bars and thumb shifters if that's your thing.
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[...] honestly, that Elephant National Hipster Explorer, what a ridiculous boat anchor of a bike. [...]
    Honestly I don't know if you're trolling or not...

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but from what I understand this is actually a very well thought out, designed frame (albeit for a somewhat niche use/market) executed by a small-scale builder at a reasonable price for what it is. I believe it is actually pretty light weight as well, with decently thin/'lively' butted tubes, given the application. If you're into bashing steel bikes in general, well this might not be the most receptive forum to that outlook, ha.

Intelligent folks can disagree about the relative merits of 650b and front-loading, and that's been covered to death elsewhere, but if you think both those concepts make sense, the NFE is a good option.
    Tamaso Johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think twist-grips or thumb shifters, so I can wear big fugly mittens and not have trouble shifting.
    For the record, here in Upstate, I wear snowboarding mittens and use STI with no difficulty whatsoever. I simply use my index finger for both levers.

The trick is to use mittens that are stiff so that the fabric doesn't get caught between the levers. Knitted ones would get caught.

My winter ride is a cross bike with STI, 105, BB7s, dynamo lights, 37mm studded snows, and full fenders. It's my 8th winter on this bike. I haven't missed a workday commuting this season. The one day I thought I'd better take the bus, they called a snow day instead. There was one day where I had to walk it a half-block, though.

You can still go the hybrid route if you like. I'm just saying mittens are not the non-starter with STI that everyone assumes them to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tamaso View Post
    Honestly I don't know if you're trolling or not...

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but from what I understand this is actually a very well thought out, designed frame (albeit for a somewhat niche use/market) executed by a small-scale builder at a reasonable price for what it is. I believe it is actually pretty light weight as well, with decently thin/'lively' butted tubes, given the application. If you're into bashing steel bikes in general, well this might not be the most receptive forum to that outlook, ha.

Intelligent folks can disagree about the relative merits of 650b and front-loading, and that's been covered to death elsewhere, but if you think both those concepts make sense, the NFE is a good option.
    of course he's trolling

anyway, this is the dude building those ridiculous boat anchor bikes lol...

Glen Copus: An Elephant’s Place in Cycling History | The Bicycle Story

there are also the endpoint frames Bicycles and Accessories Made with Purpose in the U.S.A.
    kinda similar to the elephant in production
    which might be a good option if you don't want to experience the whole low trail thing...the dudes that design the endpoints don't really care for low trail from what i understand.
    also they might have some sorta fat tired thing ocming down the pipes really soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe not quite "off the shelf" but a Shand Sloater/would be on my list for just this kind of bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one here who thinks fenders and freezing conditions or fenders and muddy conditions is pretty much a bad idea?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    Am I the only one here who thinks fenders and freezing conditions or fenders and muddy conditions is pretty much a bad idea?
    You have to be cautious, but I have friends who ride all winter long in Grand Rapids, MI on studded tires. There are limitations and you aren't going as fast or necessarily in the same places you'd normally go, but these guys do ride all winter long.

If I move back to a snowy climate I'll be doing the same. Studded tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last fall, I was looking for a bike that fit this exact description. I ended up picking up a barely-used Trek Portland off of Craigslist for $400. Aluminum frame, 105-equipped. I've got fenders, a rear rack, and Conti studded tires on it for the winter, and it's just what I was looking for. The only quirk is the 130mm-spaced rear disc hub. No longer made, but they are out there, and cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like this has probably already been discussed to death what with all the recent threads on "gravel grinders", but my Search Fu is weak and I'm not coming up w/ anything. Mea culpa.

I'm thinking that my next bike needs to be something that's equally adept on dirt (mild singletrack, nothing crazy technical), gravel, and -- especially given this winter -- snow & ice, but that can also serve as my commuter bike and not be totally out of place (or put me out of position) on easy training rides.

So it needs clearance and braze-ons for full coverage fenders, and to accomodate at least 38c knobby tires under those fenders. That's non-negotiable.

Disc brakes would be nice too; not a dealbreaker, but as long as I'm talking about a bike that's going to get wet & filthy all the time, why not, right?

I think twist-grips or thumb shifters, so I can wear big fugly mittens and not have trouble shifting. No suspension. Sort of almost sounds like I'm talking about (gasp!) a hybrid. Come to think of it, the Trek 750 hybrid I owned 20 years ago is probably exactly what I'm talking about (minus the disc brakes). Why did I ever give that away?!?!

If I were buying custom I know exactly who I'd ask...but not sure I want to spend custom cash on a bike that I'm just going to ride to work or abuse. So...

Is there anything off-the-shelf that fits this description?

Thanks.
    Co-Motion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    of course he's trolling

anyway, this is the dude building those ridiculous boat anchor bikes lol...

Glen Copus: An Elephant’s Place in Cycling History | The Bicycle Story

there are also the endpoint frames Bicycles and Accessories Made with Purpose in the U.S.A.
    kinda similar to the elephant in production
    which might be a good option if you don't want to experience the whole low trail thing...the dudes that design the endpoints don't really care for low trail from what i understand.
    also they might have some sorta fat tired thing ocming down the pipes really soon

Yeah, I'm trolling a little bit... but the OP wants something off the rack to abuse and commute on, which also would not put him out of place on mild training rides.

I read that as 700c/29er, relatively inexpensive, and probably aluminum. Again, maybe I'm being a meanie, but I wouldn't think a heavy, flexy, fairly expensive, 650B battlewagon of a bike frame really fits that description?

That said, perhaps the OP will chime in, and let us know that he is growing out his beard, and oiling up his new Brooks in anticipation of a handcrafted steel 650Bomber! Woo!

Dat Trek 920 though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I must say that Trek 920 is pushing all my buttons. Drop bar geo, 29 x 2.0 tires, bar-end shifters, and hydro discs? Dang.