User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Where to cycle near Lake George / Trout Lake, NY?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Where to cycle near Lake George / Trout Lake, NY?

My family is spending a week in a vacation rental on Trout Lake, near Lake George, NY, with friends of my wife's. I'm bringing my Hampsten but don't know where to ride. Does anyone have advice? I intend to do rides of 15-70 miles on various days.

We'll be there Aug 10-17, which I presume means dodging summer car traffic. Thanks for any guidance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Where to cycle near Lake George / Trout Lake, NY?

You might try searching RidewithGPS. I might be going up there at the end of August and just started looking for routes in case I bring the bike. I found this, Lake George and Schroon River - A bike ride in Lake George, New York That Ride With member has a couple of other Lake George rides.

My only concern, which is same concern I have in any remote and new area, is finding food and water on the route. I'd hate to get 40 miles into a mountainous ride and learn there is no place to refill and refuel. Enjoy your visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up in the Adirondacks, albeit about an hour from Lake George.
    You're in Stewart's country ~ a reliable stop for ice cream, miscellaneous groceries, coffee and such ~ and a beacon for some upstate NY riders (and by upstate, I really mean upstate).
    ~link to Google Map of the region with stores highlighted~
    Quick look at the route you selected and I see one in Bolton Landing (about 10 miles in) and then in Warrensburg (about 69 miles in). You could continue past the left and go under the Northway and hit another at around mile 55.

There's also a couple rides listed (cue sheets) around Bolton Landing on the Mohawk-Hudson Cycling Club page.
    Twenty years ago, Inside Edge/Reliable Racing used to have a pretty vibrant riding community out of their Glens Falls store.
    If you're a member on Paceline, reach out to BumbleBeeDave. He does a fair bit of riding in that area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. That first ride looks perfect. I'll probably do two long rides during the week and a few shorter ones, so I'll look for one more long one on the other sites mentioned by VTMike.

Saratoga Springs, New York, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel free to try out some of the roads in the link below. Some of the roads between Brant Lake and Lake George are dirt and/or seasonal dirt roads. They are all extremely quiet.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2413141

If possible avoid 9N unless you are riding in the early, early morning. There are beautiful views of Lake George, but the road gets very busy on nice days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ locked as Private

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Racingtown View Post
    If possible avoid 9N unless you are riding in the early, early morning. There are beautiful views of Lake George, but the road gets very busy on nice days.
    Agree. Especially the southern part. Not a reliable shoulder to ride, lots of traffic, and blind corners and rises.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel free to try out some of the roads in the link below. Some of the roads between Brant Lake and Lake George are dirt and/or seasonal dirt roads. They are all extremely quiet.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2413141

Racingtown, could you please share how to access this, privately if appropriate?

Local experts, would 9N be okay before 10am on a weekday this time of year?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, Lake George is awesome. I used to make milkshakes with Rachel Ray at HoJos there. 9N before 10:00 should be fine once you are a few miles north of the village. We used to ride up the western side of the lake and have one of the boats (Montcalm/Mohican) pick us up at the northern end of the lake. That's a great trip for spouses/children because they can ride the boat up and down the lake and you can kick back some drinks on the return. You would need make arrangements w/ LG Steamboat Co to do that. Roads around Brant Lake sweet too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha. I'm going to be in Bolton Landing that week with one of my bikes... maybe we'll cross paths out there. I'm thinking 9N north to 8 to 23 or keep going and to 74 and back down 9... lots of possibilities for turns onto smaller roads... you're never more than an hour from a Stewart's no matter where you are.

Looks like I'm doing a down and back to the Dorptown early in the week, Karen needs to work a couple days of the week she managed to wrest out of her job and I'm of course making it work to my best advantage but the rest of the time I plan on wandering about the southeast Adirondacks early mornings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry...fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    ^ locked as Private
    If I remember correctly, the following are seasonal/dirt roads

Al Bean Road
    Padanamrum Road (continue straight at the end of the road onto dirt)
    New Vermont Road might be, but I can't recall
    Pucker Street is dirt at the top
    Last edited by Chris Yates; 08-05-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Additional info

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly, the following are seasonal/dirt roads

Al Bean Road
    Padanamrum Road (continue straight at the end of the road onto dirt)
    New Vermont Road might be, but I can't recall
    Pucker Street is dirt at the top
    Thanks! The link is working for me now.

How rough are the dirt roads? If regular road wheels can't handle them, I have the option of instead bringing heavier Hed Belgium wheels with 28mm tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Montesquieu View Post

Thanks! The link is working for me now.

How rough are the dirt roads? If regular road wheels can't handle them, I have the option of instead bringing heavier Hed Belgium wheels with 28mm tires.
    I rode them all on standard wheels with Michelin ProRace 3 25mm tires last year. Pandanamun is the worst, it is rough, soft, and sandy in places. There was a group of us, so getting stranded wasn't an issue. If you're going alone, I go with a beefier tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Montesquieu View Post
    My family is spending a week in a vacation rental on Trout Lake, near Lake George, NY, with friends of my wife's. I'm bringing my Hampsten but don't know where to ride. Does anyone have advice? I intend to do rides of 15-70 miles on various days.

We'll be there Aug 10-17, which I presume means dodging summer car traffic. Thanks for any guidance.

I'm not local, but I take my bike up there every year while we camp on the islands on the lake. I like riding a lot of the mountains around there, since I don't get to do that normally. Some of the climbs are steep and long, so it depends if that is something you are up for. I stick mostly to main roads, since I don't know the side roads.

If you are, the climb on rt 8 from Hague to Graphite mountain is very nice, as is the return climb from near Brant lake. there are also some long climbs to Exit 23 (I think) on I-87 from just north of Bolton. and a similar climb west of Ticonderoga on 74.

The climbs on 9N to Tongue mountain are steep and long coming from the North.

The traffic on 9N gets worse as you head sound from Bolton, but is much better north of it.

Shroon River Rd runs between I--87 and the Shroon river and is a really nice and gentle road. You can take that north to Brant Lake on 8, which I also thing is nice to bike on.

We camp between Bolton and Hague, so my loops start from there. Examples:

9N south > Rt 11 > Shroon river rd North > west rt 8 > south 9 N

9N north to Ticonderoga >74 West > south at severance to E shore rd. > then other small rods to rt 8 (e.g. Beaver pond rd)

I've also bike south on Schroon river rd to near Warrensburg , then on to Lake george village, which was nice. farm land.

the East side of the lake is more rolling terrain/farmland. you can bike up into VT and use the ferry at Fort Ti.

PS I should look at the routes posted and see what others like out there. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm training for a week of cycling the Spanish Picos de Europa, so no climbs are too long or steep. Luckily, my wife just spotted this organized 75-mile, 6,800' ride on Sunday the 11th. ididaride! | Adirondack Mountain Club That's perfect and will cover one of my two long rides. I'll choose from your prior recommendations for the second one.

Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    You might try searching RidewithGPS. I might be going up there at the end of August and just started looking for routes in case I bring the bike. I found this, Lake George and Schroon River - A bike ride in Lake George, New York That Ride With member has a couple of other Lake George rides.

My only concern, which is same concern I have in any remote and new area, is finding food and water on the route. I'd hate to get 40 miles into a mountainous ride and learn there is no place to refill and refuel. Enjoy your visit.
    For future reference of anyone stumbling upon this thread, the ride mentioned above is tremendous. The Ididaride loop was nice, but the Lake George / Brant Lake / Schroon River ride is really beautiful. If you do this ride, note that there are no convenience stores on the route after it leaves 9N until you get to Warrensburg (about 30 miles). I had to stop in the lone cafe 2 miles after Brant Lake to refill. (Apparently there was also a convenience store off-route just past the turn off onto Schroon River Rd.) The one part of the route I didn't like, due to lack of shoulders, was the first 6 miles or so of 9N from Lake George town. One can avoid most of this by starting north of Lake George and cutting across from Warrensburg on 35 / Diamond Point Rd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed seeing you out there. Bolton Landing up 9N to Hague, Rte 8 to Brant Lake to Schroon River Road to 11 back to 9N is fun. 50+ down the hill to Hague is cool. Out and back to Hague, tough going back up that. Going up 8 not too steep, just long. Saw two fully loaded bikes ahead about a third of the way up, when I caught up I asked the young couple where they were headed.

"Missouri!" The young woman happily said. That was very cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be heading there next week. This is my first year contending with kids and bikes; namely whether to bring the bikes or leave then home.

Are there bike paths or other off street riding options for little kids?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is the Warren County bike path. Should suit your needs fine. If you make it down to Glens Falls, make sure to stop by the Coopers Cave Brewery/Ice Cream store.

Warren Co. Bike Path

Coopers Cave Ale Company

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.