Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to buy new Campagnolo stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Where to buy new Campagnolo stuff

Where are people in the US buying new Campagnolo stuff?

The last time I bought a Campy group, it was from this place called CBike, and it doesn't seem to exist anymore. Anyway, that was almost 10 years ago. I'm looking for a new 11 speed Chorus or Record group. It doesn't have to be sold together as a group. I have no problem buying everything separately.

I looked at Texas CycleSport and Velomine, except they're both out of 11 speed stuff. Between Competitive Cyclist, Glory Cycles, and RA Cycles, I should be able to piece together a full 11 speed groupset.

I checked Nashbar and Jenson except neither of them have much Campy stuff.

Are there any other US based shops I have overlooked? I know the UK and Euro shops have all the Campy stuff, except for whatever reason I'm nervous about ordering from outside the country. I've read plenty of positive reviews of people who have successfully ordered from Merlin, ChainReaction, BellatiSport, etc. I'm still just nervous about it.

It's funny, for me the biggest difficulty in running Campy always used to be the high price. Now I can barely even find it anywhere. I thought about just running Dura Ace, except I'm old enough to remember when all the pro teams (except 7-11) used to run C-Record with the Delta brakes. So for me, Campy will always have a special feel to it. Although back when I was watching all those pro teams running C-Record, I was just a junior racer running Shimano 105 or Shimano 600 (before they called it Ultegra) because Campy stuff was so costly. To be fair, I have nothing bad to say about 105 or 600 either. I was happy with both of them However, once I was finally able afford to run Campy, I stayed with it. It probably isn't really any better. It just seems cooler to me.

Anyway, like I was asking, are there any other US based shops that sell a lot of Campagnolo that I have overlooked? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Where to buy new Campagnolo stuff

Last place I bought a group (Potenza, which was very nice, almost as functional as Chorus) was Ribble.
    I look now and see nothing there.
    Merlin seems to have Campy groups listed.
    Merlin has done well by me in the past for Camp stuff.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bike24 has plenty of campagnolo things. It lists 1290 items. You can even buy the corkscrew from them.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I purchased a Chorus 12 groupset from Merlin Cycles but the import taxes etc negated any savings so with my Record 12 I just bought from a domestic online store which actually took longer to deliver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was buying a new Chorus group, I'd buy the 12 speed version in a heartbeat just on the feel of the lever clicks. Though I wish the brakes were the same as the Record/SR version, purely for aesthetic reasons. But also the 12 speed groups really seem to have managed the lower/wider gear range integration.

Why specifically 11 speed?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just purchased bunch of stuff from Merlin. Was shocked at how fast it came. Order placed on a Thursday night and items arrived at my door on the east coast on Monday. I kept it under $800 as I had heard that could increase customs. I made a mistake in ordering (ordered a left and right shifter both with rear calipers) but decided to fix the situation myself by purchasing a new caliper for the USA (BikeSomeWhere).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    If I was buying a new Chorus group, I'd buy the 12 speed version in a heartbeat just on the feel of the lever clicks. Though I wish the brakes were the same as the Record/SR version, purely for aesthetic reasons. But also the 12 speed groups really seem to have managed the lower/wider gear range integration.

I guess because I already have Campy 11 speed on another bike and like it. The 12 speed seems like overkill. Maybe I'm just afraid of change. I don't know.

Actually even 11 speed felt like overkill. I think everybody should have stopped at 10 speed. I spent years and years on 6 and 7 speed freewheels, and sure I could have maybe used an extra gear or two, but by the time it got to 10 speed cassettes it felt like it was enough. Plus 10 was a nice round number. It was the perfect place to stop. When will the insanity end?

I actually wanted to get a 10 speed Campy group last time (almost 10 years ago) and only ended up getting 11 speed because most of the 10 speed stuff was already sold out. So I'm just trying to get another 11-speed group while I still can.

I still feel like after 10 speed had been around for a long time, then Campy did the Spinal Tap thing, and said "our amps go up to 11"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

Curious why? I loved my old 10-speed. The Chorus stuff looks really nice, that’s for sure. I can imagine a Chorus hydraulic group on my Indy Fab.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slant Parallelogram View Post
    I guess because I already have Campy 11 speed on another bike and like it. The 12 speed seems like overkill. Maybe I'm just afraid of change. I don't know.

Actually even 11 speed felt like overkill. I think everybody should have stopped at 10 speed. I spent years and years on 6 and 7 speed freewheels, and sure I could have maybe used an extra gear or two, but by the time it got to 10 speed cassettes it felt like it was enough. Plus 10 was a nice round number. It was the perfect place to stop. When will the insanity end?

I actually wanted to get a 10 speed Campy group last time (almost 10 years ago) and only ended up getting 11 speed because most of the 10 speed stuff was already sold out. So I'm just trying to get another 11-speed group while I still can.

I still feel like after 10 speed had been around for a long time, then Campy did the Spinal Tap thing, and said "our amps go up to 11"
    I’ve never felt that more gears had any negatives. I went from 8-speed Record to 10-speed then 11-speed Shimano. All represented an improvement over its predecessor, and the increase in gearing options was definitely part of that. I will embrace 12-speed when the time comes.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slant Parallelogram View Post

The only way you are going to find a complete Chorus 11 speed group is to locate a dealer that has back stock. The 11 speed groups are not being produced any longer. You can buy new 11 speed replacement components, but eventually those too will dwindle in availability. Chorus 12 is the replacement for Chorus 11.

All to say you aren't really looking for a Campagnolo dealer as much as you are looking for someone who is selling an older groupset. That might be a certified dealer but probably more likely to be e-bay or similar.

If you want a new 11 speed group, you have to go with Potenza, the group below Chorus 12.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The odd thing about 12s Campag, all the cassettes start at 11, the spacer cog.
    So I might as well stay at 10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I buy a new road bike about every decade. Thus, I have Campagnolo 10, 11, and 12 speed (all mechanical, I progressed from Chorus 10 to Record 11 to SR 12). The Chorus 10 was damn near perfect (moved up from 105 eight speed) and the R11 and SR12 are incrementally better to the extent that it is possible. No decrement in durability of consumables. What I'm saying - why not go 12 speed? Easier to find currently and will be so for a longer period than 10 and 11. NOS consumables get more expensive the further in the rear view mirror the gruppo fades.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is looking for prior gen stuff at storefronts looking to sell you current gen equipment, not general Campy availability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No groups at Planet Cyclery.

Better option may be to watch the Classifieds here.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to say EuroBikeParts | Shimano, Campagnolo, SRAM | Groupsets, Kits & more but it looks like they are out of Chorus 11 (which I would also like, though LBS extolled the 12). Check Velomine too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drivetrain, Brakes on Sale | Deals & Discounts on Drivetrain, Brakes | Competitive Cyclist some of the pieces are here and also Backcountry (same company)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed groupset I see at any of those is a hydraulic set w/o BB & cassette, and it is priced more than the complete 12 speed group at Texas Cyclesport.

I think to Campagnolo's credit, they may have managed their inventory correctly so that the shift (no pun) to 12 speed came at the right time.

If you build your own group, keep the price of the full Campagnolo group at TCP in mind. IMHO it isn't a horrible price.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast