Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy new Campagnolo stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Where to buy new Campagnolo stuff

Interesting about others’ misfortune with Campagnolo UT. I had it on several bikes for years with never an issue. Lots of grease when assembling seemed to work for me.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I'm not sure to understand/visualize the "piece of tubing over the axle" ?
    I don't remember who rec'd it, but take a piece of plastic tubing that is about the same diameter as the BB ID, and use it as a sleeve over the crank axle. Think of it like the sleeve of a threaded external BB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CXinNH View Post
    Replaced UT BB 9 times in 2 years riding in northern NE. Then I gave up on them.
    Another reason I like living in dry climates. I remember when they came out, Campagnolo claimed you'll never have to replace the bearings ��

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Interesting about others’ misfortune with Campagnolo UT. I had it on several bikes for years with never an issue. Lots of grease when assembling seemed to work for me.
    I think it's frame dependent. Some seat tubes/seat post/saddle combinations just ingest water better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Temporary band aid for a shitty design, not a solution.

But it looks that their new 1x13 group has new bb design, hopefully it will work this time around.
    Worked for me on 2 bikes but what do I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Or get the double sealed version of the bearing from Boca Bearings.
    Which model(s) did you get? The yellow seal?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Which model(s) did you get? The yellow seal?
    Yep, these ones. Though when I put them in, they offered stainless steel bearing versions as well, which were cheaper. Now they seem to only offer ceramic, which I guess is fine. But maybe I am missing the stainless versions somewhere on the site. They are correct when they say the bearings feel slightly stiff at first. But they quickly smooth out. And spin at least as well as the original Campagnolo bearings, if not better. I tend to think better. Removal and pressing requires buying (or borrowing) the tool - I got the Park version. Pro-tip: an old phone book is the ideal tool for supporting the crank arms while driving the bearing on without damage to the carbon clear coat etc. And I'd replace the wavy washer and start fresh after changing the bearings.

Before I switched, I was changing bearings every 6 months, so obviously I was not destroying them as rapidly as CXinNH, so he may ride in rain and muck, especially if he's racing CX in NH. I ride on dirt roads with some mud plenty often but only unintentionally in the rain. Still like I said, I was replacing them every 6 months even so, and since doing the switch, I haven't touched the BB in either bike in like 3 years. Last chain replacement, the BB just spins and spins.

edit: Actually I am misremembering. The yellow version were always with the ceramic bearings. I have the original bearing pouch in my took box (holds torx bits now :-)) and it says ceramic on the sticker.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-23-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may be harder to get the old phone book than the Campy tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Yep, these ones. Though when I put them in, they offered stainless steel bearing versions as well, which were cheaper. Now they seem to only offer ceramic, which I guess is fine. But maybe I am missing the stainless versions somewhere on the site. They are correct when they say the bearings feel slightly stiff at first. But they quickly smooth out. And spin at least as well as the original Campagnolo bearings, if not better. I tend to think better. Removal and pressing requires buying (or borrowing) the tool - I got the Park version. Pro-tip: an old phone book is the ideal tool for supporting the crank arms while driving the bearing on without damage to the carbon clear coat etc. And I'd replace the wavy washer and start fresh after changing the bearings.

Before I switched, I was changing bearings every 6 months, so obviously I was not destroying them as rapidly as CXinNH, so he may ride in rain and muck, especially if he's racing CX in NH. I ride on dirt roads with some mud plenty often but only unintentionally in the rain. Still like I said, I was replacing them every 6 months even so, and since doing the switch, I haven't touched the BB in either bike in like 3 years. Last chain replacement, the BB just spins and spins.

edit: Actually I am misremembering. The yellow version were always with the ceramic bearings. I have the original bearing pouch in my took box (holds torx bits now :-)) and it says ceramic on the sticker.
    Ok, thanks. I have the Unior tool to do the job although I can never remember which bits to fit where depending on whether I'm working on UT or PT so I have to refer to the manual each time.

I hadn't thought of replacing the wavy washer. Do you think they are vulnerable to damage?

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Haha. I was about to say!
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Infinite Jest would work just as well...Those must be free at used book shops.
    - Brad Comis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Ok, thanks. I have the Unior tool to do the job although I can never remember which bits to fit where depending on whether I'm working on UT or PT so I have to refer to the manual each time.

I hadn't thought of replacing the wavy washer. Do you think they are vulnerable to damage?

Haha. I was about to say!
    I don’t know whether it deforms with use or loses any of its spring being continually compressed but might as well change it while I am there.

I’ve used a large dictionary with a folded towel on top of it as an “anvil” also.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-23-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the cups and seals play a part as well. Super Record cups are apparently only supposed to be used with the ceramic bearings, since there’s one less seal? If that’s the case, and coupled with seatpost/collar/frame designs I could imagine the steel bearings getting cruddy more quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The UltraTorque cups have a curtain seal on the inboard side, and then there is an outboard seal that goes on the crank spindle before the bearing is pressed on. The Super Record does not have the inboard seal on its cups, supposedly choosing reduced friction over sealing as the racing group (which I guess implies either more frequent maintenance or cleaner conditions?) The problem imho is that neither the inboard or outboard seal is actually attached to the bearing, so the inboard doesn’t prevent water draining into the BB shell from migrating into the bearing area and the outboard doesn’t prevent dirt or water from contaminating the bearing from that direction. Neither is actually a seal but more of a bearing cover. So the answer to me is that you need a truly sealed bearing with fixed/attached seals on both sides. That’s the Boca Bearings linked above.

I don’t know if Shimano or SRAM threaded BB’s are any more durable overall, but I am guessing that at least the sealing is better, because the threaded cups and bearings are pressed together as a unit so theoretically could be sealed as a unit as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
    Infinite Jest would work just as well...Those must be free at used book shops.
    Ha! Love it - a book I’ve never been able to get very far through. Maybe it needs to be moved from the bookshelf to the work bench!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that the Dura Ace threaded BB is much less durable than PT or Chorus UT. IME, DA needs to be replaced every other chain replacement, or every chain replacement if you ride in inclement conditions.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never had any problems with excessively short bearing life with Campy UT. In general, ALL outboard bearings have a shorter lifespan because of their exposure and of course everything gets worse with extended use in bad conditions. I would estimate that a Campy Record/Chorus square taper cartridge BB lasts 2-4 times as long as the UT bearings. Still I think that Campy UT is likely the best of the outward/oversized systems...
    "Humilis humilibus...Inflectans arroganibus....."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    I have never had any problems with excessively short bearing life with Campy UT. In general, ALL outboard bearings have a shorter lifespan because of their exposure and of course everything gets worse with extended use in bad conditions. I would estimate that a Campy Record/Chorus square taper cartridge BB lasts 2-4 times as long as the UT bearings. Still I think that Campy UT is likely the best of the outward/oversized systems...
    I’ve had success with both Shimano and Campagnolo. No issues with either. Shimano is easier to install IMHO and I like the aesthetics of the smaller Shimano BBs. But the difference isn’t enough to sway my purchases.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    I honestly don't know?

I was slowly getting creaks bit by bit which I thought was my pedals/cleat interface then mid ride all I can hear in knocks and clunks vibrating through my crank arms into my pedals.

My bike is a Merlin Extralight Titanium from 1998 of which I'm the original owner, the threads are perfect as the BB cups screw in by hand then I just tighten them up to finish them off.

I'll post some pics...
    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I'm not sure to understand/visualize the "piece of tubing over the axle" ?
    Temporary band aid for a shitty design, not a solution.

But it looks that their new 1x13 group has new bb design, hopefully it will work this time around.
    If you get that much moisture/dirt passing the seals of the BB, you ought to check the rest of the bike: do not assume "it'd be allright..." because nothing lasts forever.
    Even though, my "everyday" bike has an aluminium U.T. (I think is a Centaur) that has now clocked no less than 3 years riding pretty much evey day and in any weather. And apparently it rains in Britain.

What's the "secret" then? Forget the manual, remove that yellow threadlock that comes on the thread of the cups, use LOTS of good grease inside the cups (litterally, fill them) and fit the tube form a Sram or Shimano GXP/HT2 in between the Campag cups (use the Mtb version for ITA threaded BB), this gives a good protection against the moisture that drips from the seatpost.
    The new BB design in the Ekar seems to have a similar solution with better external seals, too.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could someone please advise as to what the largest cog size a 10 speed Record short cage rear derailleur will accept? I thought I recall a 28 tooth was the largest size?
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    Could someone please advise as to what the largest cog size a 10 speed Record short cage rear derailleur will accept? I thought I recall a 28 tooth was the largest size?
    26T largest cog. Whether you can go larger (up to 29T) depends on your set up. 27 is total chain wrap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, just stocking up on some cassettes for my Tommasini.
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey