User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: when training was training

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Belgium, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default when training was training

    My favorite workout when training for TT's was doing a 1 mile interval of a local hill. The length of the climb was about 4 miles but I just did the center section because it was a consistant 4% and was perfect for turning a big gear. For those in the Amherst area, it is the s-curves of Shutesbury Hill. I normally got on top of a 53 X 21 and hunkered down for the 4+ minute effort. I would do a maximum of 12 intervals before a big race objective. I loved that workout. It really helped me to successfully turn a big gear at Districs and other TT's. My last real TT was about 10 years ago, but I still do the occasional Shutesbury interval session. This week I craved the taste of blood in the mouth so I did a session. I managed two intervals and turned a 39 X 21. I didn't think gaining 35 pounds would make a difference. How about you?
     

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,865
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    I normally got on top of a 53 X 21 and hunkered down for the 4+ minute effort.
    I managed two intervals and turned a 39 X 21. I didn't think gaining 35 pounds would make a difference. How about you?
    Welcome to my life :(

    I was a good 40 lbs lighter than I am now when I raced in the late '80's/early 90's. Same height as I am today (5' 9") but on the scale, I was 120 to 125 lbs. Now, approaching 50, I'm between 155 to 165 lbs :(

    I miss the ability to rocket up steep climbs like I had a jet-pack
     

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Belgium, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    My cycle racing career began as a junior in the 70's. I was tall but a wee weight. In college I was a div. 1 oarsman but was still on the light side of heavyweight at 185. Once my rowing career was behind me, I focused solely on cycling. I got down to 168 (I'm 6'3'') and went pretty well on the bike. I did Mt. Washington a few times, Sr. Nationals (raced against Mr. Armstrong) and lived for the Distric TT's. I'll tell you what, I still love cycling no matter what superflueous baggage I carry along for the ride. I do miss turning the bigish gears however.
     

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,865
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    I'll tell you what, I still love cycling no matter what superflueous baggage I carry along for the ride.
    Agreed.

    Also, with my heavier weight, I can now enjoy riding an unsuspended road bike on bad roads, gravel and hard pack. Makes owning a MAX bike worthwhile. I can motor along flat sections of rough patches without getting bounced all over the place, like when I was light.

    So, that's one minor advantage of me being porkier than my college days.
     

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Woodstock Valley, CT
    Posts
    2,253
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    My favorite workout when training for TT's was doing a 1 mile interval of a local hill. The length of the climb was about 4 miles but I just did the center section because it was a consistant 4% and was perfect for turning a big gear. For those in the Amherst area, it is the s-curves of Shutesbury Hill. I normally got on top of a 53 X 21 and hunkered down for the 4+ minute effort. I would do a maximum of 12 intervals before a big race objective. I loved that workout. It really helped me to successfully turn a big gear at Districs and other TT's. My last real TT was about 10 years ago, but I still do the occasional Shutesbury interval session. This week I craved the taste of blood in the mouth so I did a session. I managed two intervals and turned a 39 X 21. I didn't think gaining 35 pounds would make a difference. How about you?
    I have a hill near my home that is an all-out 3-minute effort that keeps getting steeper right up to the end. It's a small gear climb, but one that ALWAYS triggers the alarm on my HRM. I did 4 repeats the other night and my legs fet like rubber at the end. I had planned to do 5, but just couldn't bring myself to go back down that hill.

    Another stretch is a long seated climb where a 52X19 or 21 is do-able at very high effort. It is about an 8 to 10 minute section that is my personal "yardstick" for determining my fitness level.

    I like intervals - when they're finished and my brain is swimming in excess endorphins.
     

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    no shore, mass
    Posts
    14,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    billy
    you need a lighter bike.
    then back to the 53 you will go.
     

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Mass
    Posts
    9,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    I have a hill near my home that is an all-out 3-minute effort that keeps getting steeper right up to the end.

    I like intervals - when they're finished and my brain is swimming in excess endorphins.
    Wayne, I must know this hill. Where?

    Schteck, I will try to roll the s-curves this spring, gimme a month. I'd much rather go down them, I love putting distance on cars that crawl up your backside just before.

    And did we ever cross swords at the Colebrook TT? I knew things were going well when the 2nd 10k, from New Boston to Otis, didn't require more than the 17. 19 if the 56 was up front.

    Intervals, the great IQ reducer. Knackered, dumb, and happy!
     

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sutton, MA USA
    Posts
    5,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    I miss Shutesbury. It was the regular Wednesday ride when I was at UMass. I know the S curves all too well, Bill. Great memories.

    My two favorite workouts are two minute L6 intervals and an hour of L3 with a hard kick every third minute. For some reason those two just feel good.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    feral, USA
    Posts
    2,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    Here's the Strava segment for the entire climb.

    The standard way we always did Shutesbury(post Zanc) was the double-secret training before the other Wednesday night sorta-kinda training race from Northampton.

    Anything near 14 minutes is hard as hell. I'm not sure if anyone has bested Kevin Monahan at 13:48. That's when Mono kept winning the US pro crit championships.
    I'd be interested to see what Anthony Clark has been pulling up Shutesbury. He likely has the highest power-weight ratio of anyone we've had in the Valley for as long as I've been around here.
    It's a fantastic timetrial to assess your fitness on.

    My hill of preference for repeats is Mt. Skinner. It's way steep at the beginning so it's always been good for loading up the legs ASAP so that you can black out at the top. The 4 state view is sweet too.
    mickey.denoncourt

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sutton, MA USA
    Posts
    5,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    Skinner...awesome descent.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Belgium, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    billy
    you need a lighter bike.
    then back to the 53 you will go.
    A lighter bike won't help. I just need Zank to braze on a top tube belly holder.
     

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    feral, USA
    Posts
    2,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    Skinner...awesome descent.
    Especially when the gate is closed at the bottom of a 55mph straight.
    mickey.denoncourt

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Belgium, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    Here's the Strava segment for the entire climb.

    The standard way we always did Shutesbury(post Zanc) was the double-secret training before the other Wednesday night sorta-kinda training race from Northampton.

    Anything near 14 minutes is hard as hell. I'm not sure if anyone has bested Kevin Monahan at 13:48. That's when Mono kept winning the US pro crit championships.
    I'd be interested to see what Anthony Clark has been pulling up Shutesbury. He likely has the highest power-weight ratio of anyone we've had in the Valley for as long as I've been around here.
    It's a fantastic timetrial to assess your fitness on.

    My hill of preference for repeats is Mt. Skinner. It's way steep at the beginning so it's always been good for loading up the legs ASAP so that you can black out at the top. The 4 state view is sweet too.
    I used Skinner when I was training for Mt. Washington. I just did the first mile steep section and then turned around before it flattened out at the 1/2 way house. Like Holland said, an IQ reducer.
     

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Belgium, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Wayne, I must know this hill. Where?

    Schteck, I will try to roll the s-curves this spring, gimme a month. I'd much rather go down them, I love putting distance on cars that crawl up your backside just before.

    And did we ever cross swords at the Colebrook TT? I knew things were going well when the 2nd 10k, from New Boston to Otis, didn't require more than the 17. 19 if the 56 was up front.

    Intervals, the great IQ reducer. Knackered, dumb, and happy!
    I've done Colebrook several times. I remember breaking the hour there at my first Districts. That was back in the day when all bikes were bog standard and there was not an option to buy speed. You just hunkered down, chewed your Benotto tape and suffered. I qualified for Nationals on a RI course which was much flatter than Colebrook.
     

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mertztown, PA
    Posts
    4,261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    I stepped onto a track on Christmas Day morning after running around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes. I decided that I was going to run a 60 second 400 if it killed me.

    I made it 200 meters through the first lap - 35 seconds, I could barely breathe, and was seeing stars. Slowed to a jog.

    Maybe I needed to start a little faster?

    Got back to the line, kicked harder at the start, and made it to the 200 mark in, wait for it...38 seconds. Slowed to a jog. Jogged home.

    I too underestimated the impact of gaining 35 pounds.
     

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Belgium, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    The older we get the faster we were.
     

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    2,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    I never gained the pounds, but I never could suffer well unless I was totally distracted, which TT's don't allow. I recall my first boat race in college: by 1000 meters I started to get tunnel vision, then I couldn't hear, and I think, if memory serves me correctly, I started to see in black and white. And I could not stop. Who knew six minutes could be epic?
     

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Woodstock Valley, CT
    Posts
    2,253
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Wayne, I must know this hill. Where?<snip>
    In this example, it was Ulasek, but it could be Woodchuck Hill or Potash Hill or a whole bunch of others you know. We have many 3 minute hills in my area. Probably the reason why I fade on the 4 minute climbs.
     

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,562
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    I stepped onto a track on Christmas Day morning after running around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes. I decided that I was going to run a 60 second 400 if it killed me.

    I made it 200 meters through the first lap - 35 seconds, I could barely breathe, and was seeing stars. Slowed to a jog.

    Maybe I needed to start a little faster?

    Got back to the line, kicked harder at the start, and made it to the 200 mark in, wait for it...38 seconds. Slowed to a jog. Jogged home.

    I too underestimated the impact of gaining 35 pounds.
    Just be happy you did not vapor lock.
     

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: when training was training

    So a several months ago I was riding up Old La Honda Road, a moderate 3 mile climb that most riders in the SF Bay Area know. A young fit looking guy with full on carbon got on my wheel, so naturally I took it a bit harder than I might otherwise. I'm a decent climber, but hadn't ridden much for a very, very long time. I'm also in my mid 40's on a bike from the '80s. So I was pleased with myself as I reached the top that he hadn't come around and dropped me. I turned around to say a friendly word only to see him turn around to coast back down. He was doing intervals...
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. training vs. riding
    By Fixed in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 05:40 PM
  2. 'cross training for an 11 yr. old
    By Clyde in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-01-2010, 02:20 PM
  3. Looking for a Training Program
    By jhat in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 04:25 PM
  4. Cyclist in Training
    By FlynRide in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-26-2010, 12:28 PM
  5. Training Electronics
    By jsrieck in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •