User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was your longest trainer ride ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What was your longest trainer ride ?

Mine was the haute route of Watopia stage 3 yesterday. 74km, 1400m of climbing. 2h30m, 200w average.

I was happy to get out of the trainer !

While I used chamois cream I have all sort of unusual chaffing, I guess I need to use of lot more as you are basically completely wet after 30min.

There was no way I would have been able to do this without a smart trainer (Kickr in my case) and Zwift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What was your longest trainer ride ?

An hour may have been my max. I was doing frequent 45m rides for awhile but I just don't like it enough to do more. Right now I'm at 30m/ride and taking it easy trying to get the knees right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was recovering from a broken collarbone a number of years ago I did about 5 hours and 100 miles on the trainer. Pre-Zwift so I watched a full season of Dexter and listened to music. It was horrible and one of the reasons I haven't touched my trainer in years.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the Spinnervals hardcore 100 three times during the prep for my last active rando season. 5 hours of pleasure with just a DVD player, a Kurt Kinetic and a bike with a powermeter. Life before asthma sure was different...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
    --Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last winter I was doing 2 hrs. SOP. Just do Box Hill circuit three times + a cool down and a 3 min. break for water(ing).

There are all sorts of nut jobs who out of necessity and lack of access to good medication (not that there is anything wrong with that) ride the d@mn things for many hours. It's crazy.

It took alot of loud music to get me past 1 hrs. and some arranged group rides with pals to get me past 1.5 hrs. than it was fine.

Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 3 days of Watopia haute route were a good idea as many people joined so you are always riding in a group which helps. Music was pumping for sure !

I cannot imagine 5 hours !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An hour is all I can take, I will ride outside down to about 25F to avoid the trainer. With the mild winter in Pa it's only been a handful of times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did 4 hours a couple times. On a triathlon bike, watching movies. It was bad, but it also built mental endurance.

I haven't owned a trainer in at least five years. I just gave away my rollers last week. I'm just not doing it anymore.

Riding outside in the winter is fine with the right gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I broke my finger and had wires in it they wouldn't let me ride on the road and it was May so I set up in the garage, was doing 70 mile equivalents and one day because I'm really stupid I did a 100 mile equivalent. Over the winter I wear out Bkool with 50-60 mile Saturday rides for 10-12 hour weeks to try and keep some fitness. Soccer games are great in the background. Most of the time you can just half watch them and every once in a while they get really interesting. Good teams playing poorly and generally sucky teams can be frustrating though. Some guy runs into open space and the other bonehead overcooks the pass, it'll screw you up for five minutes.

These days it is spring classic reruns all the time.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey! I have two computrainers CHEAP. One is the Lab version and other regular. Both in perfect condition. Will trade for a suitcase of courage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Computrainer, well they really missed the smart turn. I guess they are out of business, right ? I had one. Sold it at the right time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never ridden using Zwift. When we lived in Amagansett and it was really cold and super windy, I'd ride our old Cycleops in the garage with the door open. Usually I'd just look at the car in the driveway and the clock hanging on the wall, but occasionally a squirrel would go by. That was always fun. In the city, I look at the elevator door and the clock on the wall. I think if Stephen Hawking had the opportunity to ride a trainer for an hour, he would have made a lot more discoveries about the curvature of time or whatever. An hour on the trainer is longer than any other hour in this dimension. The body becomes a reverse sponge. An hour is about all I can do before feeling suicidal.
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-06-2020 at 10:35 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Computrainer, well they really missed the smart turn. I guess they are out of business, right ? I had one. Sold it at the right time.
    Where do you suppose all of this old tech ultimately ends up? Is there some guy in Cincinnati who just loves Computrainers and has 46 of them since they don't make the good stuff anymore?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1:20 or so for me.

But a buddy did the 100 miler on Zwift to do two things. He gets the Jersey now but I think mostly he did it because he’s the biggest one upper I’ve ever I have ever known and has to put this out of reach to all his buddies. Next winter I may try to one up him.....
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I have done 1h on rollers several times, I can't stand more than 20 minutes on a trainer. A bike that just cannot move under you feel so unnatural.

I found out that minoura sells an adapter to add magnetic resistance to good old rollers, I may try that thing if I manage to find some rollers (out of stock everywhere).
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Longest ride is about 2hrs 30 on Zwift. I did Stage one of Haute Route on Friday night in about 1hr 45 mins which although not my longest ride was the most painful. I was woefully overgeared - trying to get up the 15% grade of the Radio Tower climb on a 1x setup of 52 / 28 which meant 250w gave a return of 4-5 mph. Didn't even think about stage 2 or 3 (or unlocking the kit) until I get a wider range setup.
    Instagram: rellonchris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done 3 hours- But not recently.
    2 has been the max. But I will say that 2 hours while riding a loop like Watopia is totally engaging for me- I should push it out to 3.

Lionel- If you are that wet, do you have fans? I fo with double fan. One in front and one in back. I find that I stay mostly dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kickr Headwind has been a game changer for training for me this winter. Seemed silly to me to spend that much on a fan but it's been awesome in terms of giving me proper airflow. I won't do any more than 1.5 ish hours on a trainer though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Mine was the haute route of Watopia stage 3 yesterday. 74km, 1400m of climbing. 2h30m, 200w average.

I was happy to get out of the trainer !

While I used chamois cream I have all sort of unusual chaffing, I guess I need to use of lot more as you are basically completely wet after 30min.

There was no way I would have been able to do this without a smart trainer (Kickr in my case) and Zwift.
    Never been able to go over 3 hours, and that's at sort of a noodly pace while watching stuff. If there's real intensity in the workout, probably 1h30 is my absolute max. Just too mind numbing for me, even with the various wahoo things and such.
    Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About 1.5 hours but years ago. Even with a smart trainer and zwift, I really haven't done much over 40 minutes this winter. I'm still able to ride outside.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast