User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would be a fair price to flush and fill your hydro brakes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What would be a fair price to flush and fill your hydro brakes?

If you're a mid to high end shop selling mostly disc bikes, would you not want a pro as hell brake bleeding setup simply as a marketing tool?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I will let you know if we purchase the electric brake bleed pump, maybe post a video in action. If we are going to, need to do it before spring of 2020 arrives. The information provided is great. There is always a truthful, insightful response on "V-Salon".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,
    I dont get on much these days but still lurking, this thread pulled at me for a few reasons. To help with figuring out your average going rate with brake bleeds in this thread our going rate is $50 nzd inc fluid, ultimately its up to you to figure out whats fair for your business. I work at the trail head of the busiest mountain bike park in the southern hemisphere, we do alot of brake bleeds.

In regards to using a brake bleed pump to bleed brakes that just seems a bit excessive for the little bit of fluid in the brake line. It would be like using an electric dyno file when all you need is some sand paper. In this case technology is a poor substitute for experience!
    Steel Bamboo Aluminum Wood Titanium Magnesium ETC

(Pick your poison, ride it like a stuck pig!!!)

Alfred Salgado

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never changed the fluid in any of my disc bikes.
    Pads of course.
    What it the need to change the fluid?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    I have never changed the fluid in any of my disc bikes.
    Pads of course.
    What it the need to change the fluid?
    Debris in the fluid (grit and stuff breaking down) can damage the seals if left in for too long. You also can get water in there which can change the boiling and bite point. Finally, air can always get in, and the brake works better bled from time to time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I paid $32 plus tax recently at a local shop (northeast ohio). it was $25 for the bleed kit from Amazon, which included stuff the shop would be re-using. given that I'm new to hydros and didn't know very well what I was doing, I happily paid the shop to do it. I generally prefer to do my own work but I have more to learn about hydros and the brakes got bad enough that there was basically nothing there (lever to the bar with no bite yet). I wanted an expert opinion on what was going on. eventually I'll learn it myself...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This raises a question Iíve wondered for some time...how does a person learn to do this type of work without access to a place like a UBI or other professional training opportunities? I used to do my own mechanic work on my older steel bike with 105 components and never had a problem. Even brake work seemed intuitive with steel cables and calipers and I never worried about any kind of brake failure. But now hydro brakes seem complicated and I worry that I couldnít trust my own work.

(And the correct answer probably is pay the shop and consider it money well spent.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rsl View Post
    This raises a question I’ve wondered for some time...how does a person learn to do this type of work without access to a place like a UBI or other professional training opportunities? I used to do my own mechanic work on my older steel bike with 105 components and never had a problem. Even brake work seemed intuitive with steel cables and calipers and I never worried about any kind of brake failure. But now hydro brakes seem complicated and I worry that I couldn’t trust my own work.

(And the correct answer probably is pay the shop and consider it money well spent.)
    Youtube

Hell - I just rebuilt the front end of 1964 Dodge Dart by watching and referencing videos + plus the service manual

I saved $1,700 even after buying some extra tools and the replacement parts (lower and upper ball joints, tie-rods, control arm bushings etc...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99% of everything you could ever want to do mechanically on your bike can be learned with a well-made online video. Stir in a small investment in the right tools and some confidence.

Learning to do it with confidence in OTHER people's bikes, and get paid for it, is another story.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

extreme scenario, but every time I run out of pads racing CX in the mud I HAVE to bleed my Sram Hydro Road setups. They are either squishy or rubbing way too much without. I imagine many clients looking for shops to change pads, might wait to the last possible minute (dont check them regularly) and be in the same boat. Last CX season, I bled my brakes about 5 times with all the mud we had. so I imagine in any sort of muddier climate bleeding often could be more necessary.

That said, I have bled my Shimano MTB brakes once in 5 years.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    extreme scenario, but every time I run out of pads racing CX in the mud I HAVE to bleed my Sram Hydro Road setups. They are either squishy or rubbing way too much without. I imagine many clients looking for shops to change pads, might wait to the last possible minute (dont check them regularly) and be in the same boat. Last CX season, I bled my brakes about 5 times with all the mud we had. so I imagine in any sort of muddier climate bleeding often could be more necessary.

That said, I have bled my Shimano MTB brakes once in 5 years.
    Replace the brakes with Shimano. You will save enough $$ in fluid and aggravation to pay for them in short order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do SRAM hydraulic brakes still even exist?
    Jonathan - Austin, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bleed frequency will vary by quite a bit. Where we are there are some pretty big downhills that can generate quite a bit of heat and cook off some fluid. Bigger guys who ride their brakes only add to the issue. Our soil is abrasive and we can ride year round if you donít mind some wet and a bit of snow. Wet granite and snow are exceptional at removing pad material. Add some or all of those variables along with a brake system that uses DOT fluid, and itís not uncommon to do a bleed every pad change. DOT fluid attracts water which lowers the boiling point. Lower boiling point, sooner the brakes heat up and fade. Cool off a little fluid that much easier and now thereís room in the lines for more air and moisture. Itís a vicious cycle. Even Shimano and Magura brakes which use their own mineral oils need to be flushed a bled more frequently than most people do. Heat breaks down the oil and thereís not much in the lines and calipers to begin with. Itís a recipe for cooking pistons and seals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replace the brakes with Shimano. You will save enough $$ in fluid and aggravation to pay for them in short order.
    Yeah, once I can afford the GRX/ultegra Di2 mix I want I'll be ditching them on the bike that gets ridden the most.

The fact is though, there is a lot of them in service. I somehow currently have them on 4 bikes between me and my wife. The other major service required on them is greasing the master cylinder assembly in the lever with they start to get floppy. Luckily we seem to destroy about 2 levers a year on average via plastic inside parts, or laying the bike down too hard so they will be out of the rotation soon enough.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Why do SRAM hydraulic brakes still even exist?
    Another datapoint: I have both systems, shimano on the road bike and sram on the gravel bike and this is the shimano one that I had to bleed. Never had to bleed the Sram one so far. Shimano rotors are screamers as well compared to the Sram Centerline.

So that kind of generalization do not make sens anymore imho. Current sram brakes aren't old avid ones and shimano brakes aren't M785 anymore. None is perfect.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 10-29-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    Youtube

Hell - I just rebuilt the front end of 1964 Dodge Dart by watching and referencing videos + plus the service manual

I saved $1,700 even after buying some extra tools and the replacement parts (lower and upper ball joints, tie-rods, control arm bushings etc...)
    I honestly wonder how we survived as a species before youtube.
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This.

The solution to SRAM brake problems is always Shimano.

AFA learning to do the bleed: Shimano brakes are just about 'bang 2 rocks together' simple. SRAM? Different story, but still not terribly complicated

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Serottas View Post
    I honestly wonder how we survived as a species before youtube.
    I rebuilt the transmission on my Triumph TR7 pre-innerwebs days. The PO put ATF in it instead of gear oil. I found out what happens about halfway to my drill weekend.

To this day, I remember staring at the manual trying to figure out if the 'mickey mouse' bit went 'ears up' or 'ears down.' I forget which way it went, but the first 5 tries putting the thing back together it didn't quite go. Flipped the mickey mouse ears over the other way and 'snick!' back together smoothly.

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
    I rebuilt the transmission on my Triumph TR7 pre-innerwebs days. The PO put ATF in it instead of gear oil. I found out what happens about halfway to my drill weekend.

To this day, I remember staring at the manual trying to figure out if the 'mickey mouse' bit went 'ears up' or 'ears down.' I forget which way it went, but the first 5 tries putting the thing back together it didn't quite go. Flipped the mickey mouse ears over the other way and 'snick!' back together smoothly.

M
    Yeah, I took on all kinds of mechanical shit too. Lots of head scratching, trial fits, etc., but BITD anyone with reasonable mechanical ability could figure it out.

Now, idiots that can barely figure out how to butter toast unassisted are dismantling B17's at home with youtube as a guide.
    Greg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12