User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: This is what passes for progress in MO politics: Teaching "Destiny" and a bike ban.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default This is what passes for progress in MO politics: Teaching "Destiny" and a bike ban.

Sponsored by the same state representative:

Anti-Evolution Missouri Bill Requires College Students to Learn About Destiny

Bike Ban on certain roads

The sad part is that I'm sure the people who voted him into office just love him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: This is what passes for progress in MO politics: Teaching "Destiny" and a bike ba

There are worse things. I'm going for a bike ride and kiss my wife.
    tick tick tick

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Sponsored by the same state representative:

Anti-Evolution Missouri Bill Requires College Students to Learn About Destiny

Bike Ban on certain roads

The sad part is that I'm sure the people who voted him into office just love him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: This is what passes for progress in MO politics: Teaching "Destiny" and a bike ba

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    There are worse things.
    tick tick tick
    No , wanting to keep people dumb and uneducated ranks pretty high on the list of bad things for governments to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this makes me want to come back to missouri and run for office against this guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They even want to redefine the words hypothesis and theory, wow. The dark ages are knocking, please don't answer the door.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    They even want to redefine the words hypothesis and theory, wow. The dark ages are knocking, please don't answer the door.
    Galileo is rolling over right now.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    Well, if the scientific method doesn't support your hypothesis, just change their definitions until things work out. I was destined to write this post. And since I did, the science is valid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Well, if the scientific method doesn't support your hypothesis, just change their definitions until things work out. I was destined to write this post. And since I did, the science is valid.
    I can see Russia from your point of view

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Former Marine Corps jar-head, construction laborer and farmer. Nothing wrong with any of those- but no college and nothing that points to "major science buff" or understanding of education. Including the several grammar glitches and misspellings on his official website. But I guess I'm just an "elitist" son of a rural preacher that has a couple of physical science degrees. If someone like Rep. Rick had let me know that it all began just 6,000 years ago I could have graduated much sooner without all the prehistoric fiction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I just interviewed for a job at Mizzou. I'm gonna have some fun if I get that job.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    Former Marine Corps jar-head, construction laborer and farmer. Nothing wrong with any of those- but no college and nothing that points to "major science buff" or understanding of education. Including the several grammar glitches and misspellings on his official website. But I guess I'm just an "elitist" son of a rural preacher that has a couple of physical science degrees. If someone like Rep. Rick had let me know that it all began just 6,000 years ago I could have graduated much sooner without all the prehistoric fiction.
    His party needs more voices like Bobby Jindal. This thread is going to get locked so I'll get in before that happens. For the GOP to have a future with reasonably educated and open minded people, policy makers like the one in the link above cannot have a significant voice.

Jindal: GOP must stop being 'stupid party' - Yahoo! News
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It astounds me when people wear their ignorance like a badge of honor. Hint: It isn't one.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ignorance is everywhere.
    Including this forum.
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems the American Taliban's appeal is finally dwindling. I guess the majority of the population wants to be ready to compete in the 21st century rather then edumicate the serfs for a return to the 12th.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our state legislature has taken up a bill that would increase the punishment on a motorist hitting "another roadway user," including pedestrians and cyclists. This bill is largely in reaction to the dozen state troopers who have been hit while on duty this winter--I think there were 3 hit in one day along I-15.

Another hot bill would allow us Utahans to order a drink in a restaurant before ordering food. Ground breaking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What concerns me is the lack of cynicism regarding the prevailing school of thought on this issue and the structural prohibitions of any opposing views. This concerns me much more than any inbred, minor polictician sponsoring some irrelevant bill in Missouri.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I liked in the science-related article was the notion that not just "Intelligent Design" could be taught, but that, by extension, any sort of mythological creation-theory could be taught as well. Like the Russian thing with the Ravens. How awesome - and ironic - would it be if some kid came home with some bizarre Polynesian creation myth firmly lodged in his head?

Mom: well, what'd you learn today?

Kid: We learned all about creation! It was awesome! See, there were these gods, right, and they were supposed to be like boy gods and girl gods, but sometimes the boy gods liked to have sex with other boy gods and then this one girl god got all mad an' stuff and cursed the boy god with like a gazillion vaginas all over and then all the other boy gods had sex with him and then he got all pregnant and stuff and like everything in the universe came out of all of his vaginas. So like all the stars and the people and the animals and the plants and the fish and stuff all came out of this boy's vaginas and so he just turned himself into a girl like Uncle Frank and then everyone was totally cool and learned to surf and dance naked and have lots of babies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I read about creationism as being equivalent to scientific theories I feel like the gears in my head are grinding and shearing off. I just cannot wrap my head around the ignorance. Its like aviation engineers needing to teach magic in addition to the science of lift. Maybe the guy in the article can fly in a plane designed by such a college graduate.
    Last edited by Willie1; 02-17-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose its just the difference in wanting your children to be taugtht how to think versus being taught what to think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    His party needs more voices like Bobby Jindal. This thread is going to get locked so I'll get in before that happens. For the GOP to have a future with reasonably educated and open minded people, policy makers like the one in the link above cannot have a significant voice.

Jindal: GOP must stop being 'stupid party' - Yahoo! News
    Jindal is one of the leading "stupids" in my book, so if he thinks that the Republican party needs to act less stupid then whoo boy are those suckers stupid.

Here's what I think - we are finally moving out of the industrial revolution and the economic intoxication of the industrial build-up that occurred before during and after World War II. Those people who used to do marginally well in high school and escape into an industrial job they worked in for the rest of their lives are still doing marginally well in high school and escaping but not into industrial jobs. Instead they are saying "Hi, welcome to Walmart!" the difference being that retail jobs pay nada while industrial jobs actually paid a living wage and offered opportunity for under-educated citizens to trade on their skills and their know-how to better themselves. SO it will take about 50 years (counting back to 1980 when Reagan was elected) for them to settle out of the economy or rise up and be slaughtered or begin to be slowly but surely reincorporated into the economy through a huge infusion of capital into the public education system so that they will not merely escape but will graduate with meaningful skills for the coming age.

I think the slaughter part is more likely at this point, but I hope not.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast