User Tag List

Page 292 of 296 FirstFirst ... 282283284285286287288289290291292293294295296 LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,840 of 5904

Thread: The what did the postman bring today thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The what did the postman bring today thread.

My goodness, this thing is built like a tank. Canít wait to use the new chuck.

D59333D7-EF11-4F45-9DD1-67AA8C9CC546.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are indestructible and have been sold under many brand names. Don’t know anything about that levered chuck. I have two of them with different brand names but they’re identical. One of the best value tools out there.

No need to spend hundreds more for an artisanal pump....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    My goodness, this thing is built like a tank. Can’t wait to use the new chuck.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great pump functionally, but man - they just want to tip over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    great pump functionally, but man - they just want to tip over.
    Yes that’s why I laid it down for the photo!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Those are indestructible and have been sold under many brand names. Don’t know anything about that levered chuck. I have two of them with different brand names but they’re identical. One of the best value tools out there.

No need to spend hundreds more for an artisanal pump....
    That is a Hirame chuck. Steel, precision version of the type of chuck used on the pump. Silca makes one on the same design principles. I bought it because I’ve never liked the action on the plastic flip lever chucks. They always seem to require a lot of pressure to throw the lever. However, the chuck on the SKS is buttery smooth; clearly the nicest lever chuck I’ve come across. So I may stick with the original chuck for awhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a Hirame chuck. Steel, precision version of the type of chuck used on the pump. Silca makes one on the same design principles. I bought it because Iíve never liked the action on the plastic flip lever chucks. They always seem to require a lot of pressure to throw the lever. However, the chuck on the SKS is buttery smooth; clearly the nicest lever chuck Iíve come across. So I may stick with the original chuck for awhile.
    One more thing.... The upper and lower nuts on the handle occasionally loosen. A bit of adjustment and some grease on the threads resolved it for me but they occasionally will loosen. Really the only weak point of the design except the aforementioned tendency to be tippy. I agree with that assessment.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 06-13-2019 at 07:59 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My goodness, this thing is built like a tank. Canít wait to use the new chuck.

after about 5 years mine crapped out about a montha ago. It was consistently leaking air.
    Last edited by joosttx; 06-13-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    after about 5 years mine crapped out about a montha ago. It was consistently leaking air.
    These things never die. All the necessary parts are available to service them. You could even build them from scratch using the spare parts.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up that same pump about 2 months ago as I have a Blackburn Air Tower Shop Floor Pump of which I couldn’t get the chuck to stay in place when approaching 60psi...perhaps 3-4 years old. I assume that whatever material in the chuck that grips the valve stem was worn out...trials and tribulations of a tubular user...too much pump activity. When I wrote to Blackburn and asked where I could buy a new chuck, I didn’t hear anything for a while so I purchased the SKS. After the SKS arrived, I received an email from Blackburn stating that the pump is discontinued and the chuck is no longer available, but they were mailing a replacement pump to address the issue. Pretty impressive on Blackburn's and I will be sure and post kudos for customer service. Bob, is the chuck that you purchased a universal fit, i.e. can I use it to repair my older Blackburn pump, as it works well with the exception of the chuck?
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I picked up that same pump about 2 months ago as I have a Blackburn Air Tower Shop Floor Pump of which I couldn’t get the chuck to stay in place when approaching 60psi...perhaps 3-4 years old. I assume that whatever material in the chuck that grips the valve stem was worn out...trials and tribulations of a tubular user...too much pump activity. When I wrote to Blackburn and asked where I could buy a new chuck, I didn’t hear anything for a while so I purchased the SKS. After the SKS arrived, I received an email from Blackburn stating that the pump is discontinued and the chuck is no longer available, but they were mailing a replacement pump to address the issue. Pretty impressive on Blackburn's and I will be sure and post kudos for customer service. Bob, is the chuck that you purchased a universal fit, i.e. can I use it to repair my older Blackburn pump, as it works well with the exception of the chuck?
    The Hirame head has a tapered end that slides into the hose and then secured with a hose clamp. I’d stop short of saying “universal fit” because it definitely would not have fit inside the narrow hose of my old Lenzyne pump. Further down in this forum is a thread about floor pumps that has pictures and links on how to modify the pump to add the Hirame. I think jclay has experience in this area.

I rather like the chuck on the SKS and may just leave it for awhile. The hose on the SKS is noticeably wider than the pump it is replacing so i think the Hirame will slide right in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    One more thing.... The upper and lower nuts on the handle occasionally loosen. A bit of adjustment and some grease on the threads resolved it for me but they occasionally will loosen. Really the only weak point of the design except the aforementioned tendency to be tippy. I agree with that assessment.
    Yep, mine got like that in the first month. Still pumping. I don't like how small the gauge is on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or buy a new pump. Either way you are spending money. And buying a new one is less time. And in my world time is money.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    These things never die. All the necessary parts are available to service them. You could even build them from scratch using the spare parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just did a full refurbish on my twenty year old Silca pump. Parts costs me just over $20 bucks and took about 15-20 minutes of my time. Works like new now! I really REALLY appreciate being able to just replace parts. it’s nice to know that I’m not adding to the landfill. Everything is use it, until the planned obsolescence due date arrives.. and then throw it away these days. Just more plastic crap everywhere.... ugh... end of rant. my .02

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Or buy a new pump. Either way you are spending money. And buying a new one is less time. And in my world time is money.
    I hate sending something that can be easily serviced to the landfill so there is that.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I hate sending something that can be easily serviced to the landfill so there is that.
    Good for you.
    Last edited by joosttx; 06-16-2019 at 12:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't arrive exactly today, but I've just managed to set the RB300 in a better way (getting rid of the VTF* spring).
    Great to grab a replacement to the CD for £24. thanks to the KAV300 it sounds big

*= is not a swear word!
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi cosž colŗ dove si puote
    ciÚ che si vuole, e piý non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, turn your households' rancor to love.

Isn’t it obvious that the true VSalon solution is to own a Silca *and* an SKS?

The Silca is dedicated for Presta/bike use and stays inside where I store the bikes. I use it almost daily.

The SKS has a multivalve head including Schrader for kids bikes and a needle for inflating beach balls, etc. It has a similar cast metal base as the Silca Ultimate and is not tippy. The gauge is mounted high, where it's easier to read, and includes a bleed valve to let off some pressure without removing the chuck. I'll toss it in the back of the wagon without any concern that it might walk away when my back is turned.

In some ways, the SKS is better (gasp), and much much less costly.

Much like bikes, I've found that the correct number of pumps is N+1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to go by the name of 'Bike Tart' and I'm frivolous, impetuous and often stupid with my bike decisions and spending; but I simply cannot justify the expense of a Silca. Even the 'cheap' one makes me cringe. Hell, even the price of a Lezyne pump makes me cringe.

My AUD$50 Specialized does the job perfectly well; and probably will do for years to come - especially if the 10+ year-old Bontrager equivalent that I only just retired is anything to go by (and I would have repaired that if it weren't for the failing rusted base).

Anyhoo... Too much pump talk. Who else has received what else from their friendly postie??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crank Brothers Candy 7's for my wife and a bearing + race kit for the Shamals that I mistreated.

My Dad received in his mail a Best Made First Aid Box for Dad's Day as a sort of joke, given his intrepidness. When I called him, I expected a wry thanks, but he was happy about it. Had already put it in the car. "Looks like a nice one. Pretty sure I'll use it." Okay Dad. Rock on.

Last edited by j44ke; 06-16-2019 at 11:11 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Received a game HAT to build a game console out of a raspberry pi.

The tires received last week have been mounted. Now I can take the shortcuts faster to reach the post office.

--
    T h o m a s