User Tag List

Page 172 of 296 FirstFirst ... 162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,440 of 5904

Thread: The what did the postman bring today thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The what did the postman bring today thread.

Nobody wanted to buy the Pacenti, here or ATH as they say, so I decided to do what I've always recommended to others. In the past, when people have asked me what to buy, I tell them to get a bike with 105 - "Best bang for the buck", etc.

Well, if it's good enough for everyone else, it's good enough for me.

A package arrived with a 5800 groupset the other day. I installed it and frankly, I am floored at how good it is. The main difference seems to be in the crank, which isn't hollow and therefore is pretty 'chunky'. And small things like fasteners and clamps are made of steel rather than titanium. So it's a bit heavier here and there. Functionally, it's incredibly good. Blindly, I couldn't tell a difference between this and 9000. The idea that it's "a bit less refined" is written by people who haven't tried it or haven't built it up.

I know I will be struck down by lightning, because I've seriously mixed Campagnolo and Shimano here. But I think the powers that be are smiling. There's the usual Campagnolo headset perfection. Just perfect in every way. Same thing with the seatpost. The wheels have 15-year old Record hubs with an 11-speed Chorus 12-25 cassette and while it didn't work that well when I previously tried it, it works very well here. No imperfect shifts or grinding. It's not the final solution, but it is doing the job for now. A wheelset with Shimano compatible hubs is planned. Probably with White Industries hubs.

The biggest cause for concern is the compact crank. I've already ordered a 39-tooth inner ring as the drop between the 50 and the 34 is unnerving. I don't like it for most road riding. I think the 50-39 might be ideal with the 11-28 cassette it came with. I'm just not sure I'm a compact rider in the flattish lands of MN and even the hillier roads of western WI.

The Pacenti is too nice a frame to let go to waste hanging in the garage naked and the price was right on the 5800 so I had to do it. Better to have it on the road than not have it on the road. It's as simple as that.

One item of note - this is a real full groupset with Shimano chain and cables and brakes and crank and front derailleur. Sometimes they try to move 105 with partial groups with off brand cables and housing, etc. This stuff is as good as it gets. But get the real stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Giant Rev helmet. Needed a red white and blue to match my favorite kit.

As seen here on my buddies Greg and Tom....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    UPS brought me very damaged wheel boxes. Apparently the "fragile" sticker actually meant "please crush me as much as possible". The doorman told me that UPS had these on the bottom of his cart with all other packages for my very large building stacked on top. Took lots of pictures of outside. Was told not to open until UPS inspector comes. No matter what I am getting a full refund.

Attachment 94613Attachment 94614
    Even if the wheels are fine? I had a customer send me pics of a box that looked worse, it was crushed and had a big hole it it, but the wheel was undamaged.

Good luck with whatever you find when you do open it!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I know I will be struck down by lightning, because I've seriously mixed Campagnolo and Shimano here. But I think the powers that be are smiling. There's the usual Campagnolo headset perfection. Just perfect in every way. Same thing with the seatpost. The wheels have 15-year old Record hubs with an 11-speed Chorus 12-25 cassette and while it didn't work that well when I previously tried it, it works very well here. No imperfect shifts or grinding. It's not the final solution, but it is doing the job for now. A wheelset with Shimano compatible hubs is planned. Probably with White Industries hubs.
    Can't you just do the axle/freehub conversion using Fulcrum parts? I know - 15 year old hub, but if you switch the axle too I think the total conversion used to be around $150? Maybe I dreamed that or something....
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fun books for Tour de France rest days.

IMG_5733.jpg
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is awesome and priced very reasonably. Would be worth the cost after one or two emergency uses, thanks for sharing this, I am going to order one too.
    justin rogers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chapman Cyclists Tool Kit -

Great quality! MUSA!! Everyone should have one of these in their tool roll. Thanks to VSalon for the recommendation!

2309flyer.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StR View Post
    GrAmm Tourpacking

Those look amazing, those bungees would be handy for me.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Even if the wheels are fine? I had a customer send me pics of a box that looked worse, it was crushed and had a big hole it it, but the wheel was undamaged.

Agreed, it seems a good chance that the wheels inside are OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    If they were well packed, it's likely they'll be fine. My last set showed up in a box with holes and crushed corners. The wheels themselves were well supported in the box and were perfect upon inspection.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    If they were well packed, it's likely they'll be fine. My last set showed up in a box with holes and crushed corners. The wheels themselves were well supported in the box and were perfect upon inspection.

Normally I would not worry but I saw the security camera video of them being brought inside the building and it was bad.

I live in a building with 3 towers of apartments, 11 floors each, 10 apartments per floor. Do the math; that is a great deal of UPS packages a day with my wheels on the bottom of the cart on the day they were delivered. They came from 2 different locations so the wheels were thrown in boxes (not the original manufacturer boxes) with no padding/protection and the skewers still in place. I'm not risking it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Nobody wanted to buy the Pacenti, here or ATH as they say, so I decided to do what I've always recommended to others. In the past, when people have asked me what to buy, I tell them to get a bike with 105 - "Best bang for the buck", etc.

Well, if it's good enough for everyone else, it's good enough for me.

A package arrived with a 5800 groupset the other day. I installed it and frankly, I am floored at how good it is. The main difference seems to be in the crank, which isn't hollow and therefore is pretty 'chunky'. And small things like fasteners and clamps are made of steel rather than titanium. So it's a bit heavier here and there. Functionally, it's incredibly good. Blindly, I couldn't tell a difference between this and 9000. The idea that it's "a bit less refined" is written by people who haven't tried it or haven't built it up.

The biggest cause for concern is the compact crank. I've already ordered a 39-tooth inner ring as the drop between the 50 and the 34 is unnerving. I don't like it for most road riding. I think the 50-39 might be ideal with the 11-28 cassette it came with. I'm just not sure I'm a compact rider in the flattish lands of MN and even the hillier roads of western WI.

The Pacenti is too nice a frame to let go to waste hanging in the garage naked and the price was right on the 5800 so I had to do it. Better to have it on the road than not have it on the road. It's as simple as that.

One item of note - this is a real full groupset with Shimano chain and cables and brakes and crank and front derailleur. Sometimes they try to move 105 with partial groups with off brand cables and housing, etc. This stuff is as good as it gets. But get the real stuff.

Totally agree. I was out in Jackson Hole a couple of weekends ago, and ended up on a rented Giant with 105 for a long day of riding. I fully expected to hate the 105, but it was really fantastic. And I was not gentle. Whenever I get around to building up a 'winter' sled, 105 all day baby.
    Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThasFACE View Post
    Totally agree. I was out in Jackson Hole a couple of weekends ago, and ended up on a rented Giant with 105 for a long day of riding. I fully expected to hate the 105, but it was really fantastic. And I was not gentle. Whenever I get around to building up a 'winter' sled, 105 all day baby.
    Look at Rival for a similar price as well. Both are great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Normally I would not worry but I saw the security camera video of them being brought inside the building and it was bad.

I live in a building with 3 towers of apartments, 11 floors each, 10 apartments per floor. Do the math; that is a great deal of UPS packages a day with my wheels on the bottom of the cart on the day they were delivered. They came from 2 different locations so the wheels were thrown in boxes (not the original manufacturer boxes) with no padding/protection and the skewers still in place. I'm not risking it.
    Most importantly, what wheels are supposed to be in the box?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
    Most importantly, what wheels are supposed to be in the box?
    Cheap close out set of Easton EA90SL so I can try w i d e rims and tires. I am betting a few spokes got bent/broken. You cannot tell from the pictures but one of the boxes was almost bent in half.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight weenie part. It is beautifully machined.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NFazzio View Post
    Weight weenie part. It is beautifully machined.
    Wow, that is light. Are these things out in the wild, i.e. No safety concerns?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have been out and about for some time now. I haven't heard of any failures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This beast arrived yesterday.
    Aluminato by Elvis Merckx, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx View Post
    This beast arrived yesterday.
    Homina homina homina...
    Tee Aitch

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu